Falkirk v Queen of the South

Just now, ilostmyself said:

Really? I thought it was the next match. Fair enough then, what does he need to do then, dodgy sending off for something innocuous? Or has the horse bolted?

Suspensions take effect 14 days after 6th booking. Sending off would change nothing although the separate suspension for thst would be immediate.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think Houston should go with this if everyone is fit

Thomson

Muirhead Luca Grant Leahy

Craigen McKee Sibbald Hypo

Baird Austin

I thought Baird had his best game for weeks yesterday

BPM is bang on for me here. Can't see Houston starting McKee though, Taiwo has been fine and would need to be shown up to be dropped.

Easy three points for the home team. We are on our holidays. Should you win your usual free kick 25yds out, just wait til Robinson stands behind the wall and belt it straight in the unguarded side. Youz have done it twice before after all. It will be shameful, if you can't beat a side with nothing to play for.

How are Falkirk fans feeling about this season?  After flirting with the playoffs basically since their introduction could this finally be the year?  If you finish second, which I fully expect you will, I would fancy your chances of going up.  For all that he is an odious arsehole, Falkirk are reaping the benefits of sticking with a manager who seems to have built a solid if not spectacular side.  I can't help but feel we wouldn't be in our current state of disarray had we stuck with James Fowler, but this probably isn't the thread to discuss that.

I will also settle for 7-2 on Saturday.  Hell, I'll even take Baird scoring all seven as long as Dobbie gets the other two.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

How are Falkirk fans feeling about this season?  

Been weird. A while back most fans were saying we would be lucky to be in the top 4 at all. We weren't playing well or winning.

Nowadays we have a system of start wi a shite team but finish wi our best 11. We enjoy the challenge of going a goal down before the super subs save us.

Last season we could rely on Miller and McHugh coming on to score a late goal and this season it's Nathan Austin who is our Maverick.

If we finish 2nd and get a reasonable Premiership team then I will fancy us. We don't seem as tired towards the end of this season as we did last year. Staying 2nd ahead of Hibs last season and then beating them in the playoff seemed to exhaust us.

How are Falkirk fans feeling about this season?  After flirting with the playoffs basically since their introduction could this finally be the year?  If you finish second, which I fully expect you will, I would fancy your chances of going up.  For all that he is an odious arsehole, Falkirk are reaping the benefits of sticking with a manager who seems to have built a solid if not spectacular side.  I can't help but feel we wouldn't be in our current state of disarray had we stuck with James Fowler, but this probably isn't the thread to discuss that.
I will also settle for 7-2 on Saturday.  Hell, I'll even take Baird scoring all seven as long as Dobbie gets the other two.

It's been a strange season. When we list will vaulks and Blair Alston and I looked at the signings I fully expected us to finish 4th or 5th. Vaulks took our team by the scruff of the neck last yeae and drove us onwards with a never say die attitude also chipping in with some important and spectacular goals. So from that point of view it's been good. However when you look at hibs this season compared to rangers and hearts previous seasons there really was an opportunity to do better.

I'm really not sure how we will do in the play offs and am loathe to build my hopes up as you say we've been here several times. What I will say is that we have more strength in depth thus season despite having potentially a better first 11 last season and we also have the experience of having been through it which I believe is important too. I don't fear Morton or United, that's not to say they aren't capable of beating us after all we haven't beaten Morton in 5 attempts thus season and while our record is good v United they are dogged and have a good home record. My fear is that it's the premiership side that tends to win out in these play offs and it's weighted in their favour. I know very little about the quality of the teams at the foot if the table. I'd prefer to draw a team with a smaller support like Hamilton than say dundee though

13 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Kerr SURELY wont start this game???

Austin SURELY will start this game???

Kerr strolled the last game at Palmerston and usually does well against us. We've been playing our best central midfielder at right back and with Rankin in there Kerr could stroll this one as well. Naysmith could surprise us however and actually play two decent men in there in Thomson and Jacobs.

Wouldn't be surprised if Falkirk win this with plenty to spare. Set pieces around the penalty area, crosses into the box usually cost us, everybody knows that now. Even our Manager knows it but still, he's only had about 5 months to try and sort it.

If Kerr. Baird,  Muirhead and Kidd don't play, or any permutation of those, it will hardly be worth the journey cos the satisfaction of booing them for no apparent reason is about all that will make it worthwhile. 

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I think solid but unspectacular is correct for this season, we're second without dominating too many games or horsing anyone. Every week there's a point in the games where I'm pulling my hair out about Houstons choices but results don't lie and we're grinding out results so credit needs to go to the manager for that

When we got to the playoff final last year our players were dead on their feet, we'd been playing the same 11 for most of the run in and it all came to a head when Killie turned up and outmatched us completely in that final game. We had a couple of players carrying injuries and didn't compete at all in the last game.

This season we've got a solid squad of fairly interchangeable options for most positions which seems like a deliberate effort by Houston to keep the team fresh for the playoffs, my worry is that we haven't looked like beating Morton or Hibs this year and were put out of the cups without much fuss so I'm hoping we can raise our performances for the playoffs and we catch a Premiership team on the slide.

Queens played some good stuff on their last visit and I was somewhat surprised by their collapse since. They could still cause us problems if we don't start off on the front foot again. We need to get tore into them from the off as an early goal will be important especially as the game is mainly meangingless to them although I'm sure 5th place would add a few quid to their budget for next season compared to 6th. Hows Rankin playing? Still a 5 star signing?

2 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

Ironically this game may suit Kerr going by our last meeting. Still I reckon we'll see a small shake up in the starting 11.

Defence and keeper picks itself unless he's looking to give Watson/Kidd a game for sharpness going into the playoffs, dont think either is a massive step down from the current starters so shouldn't affect our performance too much. Really impressed with how Thompson has claimed the keepers jersey.

Austin to start over Miller has to be a must though.

If we're up by a goal or two expect Grant to get a nonsense booking to free him up for the playoffs.

The last Queens game was one of our best away displays of the season for me, Kerr Taiwo strolled it in the middle, Sibbs played out of his skin and had a hunger and desire that Ive never seen that level from him before as he was everywhere. We werent amazing that day just effective in various positions, that said, Queens were awful all over and if we were more clinical, it wouldve been more than 2.

We dont only miss Alston and Vaulks as players, we miss their goal threat of the 19 goals they provided last season and countless amount of assists.

If Grant can avoid a booking for two games then its aok, the bookings in the play offs are seperate

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

The seasons been a marathon and not a sprint, whereas Queens probably had it down as a sprint with their start. The if your auntie had baws statement that if Queens had a slightly lesser dip, they may have had a serious challenge against Hibs and if we had started better also. The table doesnt lie but this Hibs team were there for challenging this season and no one seriously has.

Id be surprised if many Queens fans wouldve wanted to keep Fowler, the difficulties of the rookie manager, one good season, one clueless one.

As for expectations for the remainder of the games, the play offs, I can only quote our motto of expect the unexpected. We are a bit one paced no matter of our selection, so hopefully if we progress to the final play offs, the team we play are similar as pace kills us.

Hows Rankin been doing ?

P.s Baird is due a goal

Guest Back Post Misses

We are now showing last seasons resilience. We also have a striker who IMO is only going to keep getting better and who has by and large beaten up every championship team we have played when he has been in the team in Austin.

By and large our fans are a bit over complimentary about last season. Once we lost Grant last season and Baird stopped scoring we got through it by guts and a fair bit of luck. The squad was threadbare where as this season we have depth. Missing Vaulks especially but on Saturday you could have made an argument for all the subs starting and the team would have been stronger.

If we finish 2nd I am pretty confident we will take care of the Championship side but think our lack of power and pace in certain areas will see us ultimately fail to go up again.

However going into the playoffs for the 3rd time in four years I believe it is our best chance yet.

5 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Hows Rankin been doing ?

P.s Baird is due a goal

Fair to say Rankin doesn't have the universal approval of the fans. Not a big fan myself and disappointed/surprised he was signed on a two year deal. Does a lot of running about (headless chicken at times), can pick out the odd good pass during a game, maybe looks to be trying too hard at times resulting in him doing not much, poor in tackles, easily outpaced, gives away silly free-kicks as opponents run away from him. Maybe not showing at his best as the midfield has not been too settled tactically or in personel. He's getting a guaranteed start tho which probably says more about the Manager than the player.

As for Baird,  put him down for penalty or free-kick duty to give him a better chance, even he should be able to beat our keeper. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Fair to say Rankin doesn't have the universal approval of the fans. Not a big fan myself and disappointed/surprised he was signed on a two year deal. Does a lot of running about (headless chicken at times), can pick out the odd good pass during a game, maybe looks to be trying too hard at times resulting in him doing not much, poor in tackles, easily outpaced, gives away silly free-kicks as opponents run away from him. Maybe not showing at his best as the midfield has not been too settled tactically or in personel. He's getting a guaranteed start tho which probably says more about the Manager than the player.

As for Baird,  put him down for penalty or free-kick duty to give him a better chance, even he should be able to beat our keeper. 

Sounds like the Rankin we know and certainly didnt love. 

Naysmith correctly identified that central midfield was a huge weakness when he came in and signed Rankin, Thomson and now McManus to supplement Jacobs who, Dobbie aside, is probably POTY.  The names on paper are definitely better than the likes of Pickard and Millar but he hasn't found the correct balance and his attempts to shoehorn his signings into the side is a bit reminiscent of Chisholm's struggles with Scally, Macfarlane and Tosh.

For me, for the likes of a trip to Falkirk where we are expected to be up against it I would go with the energy of Jacobs and Thomson to try and "get in their face".  The recent home game against The Bairns completely passed Rankin by.  There is no doubting he is still an intelligent player on the ball, and McManus looks similar, but neither are going to win you the ball so are only really suited to games where we are expected to be on top.  On current form only Ayr fit in that category making him a luxury we can't afford.

50 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He better not be taking the penalties. He's murder at them and was given far too many chances to miss them before muirhead stepped in.

It's never going to happen, but I'd like to see us playing a 4-2-3-1 with the following lineup:

Thomson

Muirhead - Grant - Luca - Leahy

McKee - Taiwo

Aird - Sibbs - Hippo

Austin

IMO, this allows us to have our 4 best attackers in their most effective positions and a solid, energetic pairing which can protect the defence and drive the ball forward when in possession.

10 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

It's never going to happen, but I'd like to see us playing a 4-2-3-1 with the following lineup:

Thomson

Muirhead - Grant - Luca - Leahy

McKee - Taiwo

Aird - Sibbs - Hippo

Austin

IMO, this allows us to have our 4 best attackers in their most effective positions and a solid, energetic pairing which can protect the defence and drive the ball forward when in possession.

Yes I agree thats pretty similar to the team I put up earlier . I mean Sibbald is basically our most skillful player so we should be shaping our team around him like we used to do with Latapy.

Our best XI is clearly

Keeper

Muirhead Grant Watson Leahy

Craigen Taiwo Sibbs Hippo

Austin A.N.Other

Thomson is in possession of the jersey and there's no reason he should lose it at this stage. Watson is injured so Luca can fill in. McKee played well in his one start but Taiwo is an excellent player at this level. Hippo and Austin give us pace. Miller is the best striker we have outwith Austin but should be saved from the bench. Baird I think is unjustly criticised and would work well with Austin, he's not fantastic but he grafts and has a decent football brain (for our level anyway).

Archived