Falkirk v Queen of the South

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Fair to say Rankin doesn't have the universal approval of the fans. Not a big fan myself and disappointed/surprised he was signed on a two year deal. Does a lot of running about (headless chicken at times), can pick out the odd good pass during a game, maybe looks to be trying too hard at times resulting in him doing not much, poor in tackles, easily outpaced, gives away silly free-kicks as opponents run away from him. Maybe not showing at his best as the midfield has not been too settled tactically or in personel. He's getting a guaranteed start tho which probably says more about the Manager than the player.

As for Baird,  put him down for penalty or free-kick duty to give him a better chance, even he should be able to beat our keeper. 

I was surprised when you signed him on a 2 yr  contract on the basis of being poor previously with UTD(relegation) and ditto with us. If he had anything about him, he surely wouldve made a difference to us and at least been in and out of the starting 11. My biggest gripe was his poor passing, simple passes at times but mainly the eye of the needle passes that were telegraphed to block, decent touch but thats no use if you cant use the ball. He definitely was trying too hard against us in the last game and in result was poor and subbed.

Im hoping Baird is due a little purple patch again, hopefully the next 6 or 8 games, his workrate isnt a question, tho suffers a bit of the Rankin part of trying to hard against Queens.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Our best XI is clearly

Keeper

Muirhead Grant Watson Leahy

Craigen Taiwo Sibbs Hippo

Austin A.N.Other

Thomson is in possession of the jersey and there's no reason he should lose it at this stage. Watson is injured so Luca can fill in. McKee played well in his one start but Taiwo is an excellent player at this level. Hippo and Austin give us pace. Miller is the best striker we have outwith Austin but should be saved from the bench. Baird I think is unjustly criticised and would work well with Austin, he's not fantastic but he grafts and has a decent football brain (for our level anyway).

Thomson is the better goalie for me, better handling, better at crossed balls and can kick a ball to the opposite penalty box.

No arguments from me with that line up, the only thing Id consider is Gallacher in for Leahy, Leahy has been off the boil the last few weeks and with Hippo in front of him, he doesnt really get forward as much or used as an attacking fullback, tho Gallacher worked better with Hippo and is better defensively.

Id go Baird with Austin, having Miller as a sub to go either change from Austin or double aerial threat, gives us more options, then Bob is the super sub

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why has Thomson now been installed as 1st choice keeper, was it injury, loss of form to your previous 1st choice, or did Houston just prefer a change?  He was an ok keeper for us, could pull off some great reflex saves then drop the ball into the net. 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Why has Thomson now been installed as 1st choice keeper, was it injury, loss of form to your previous 1st choice, or did Houston just prefer a change?  He was an ok keeper for us, could pull off some great reflex saves then drop the ball into the net. 

Rogers was injured, suspected hernia then wasnt, in the meantime Thomson has came in and looked great, seems to have a velcro grip with the ball, so far, not afraid of crossed balls and has made some decent saves. Rogers this season hasnt reached the standards he set last season and at times seemed that a good shot at him equalled goal.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Rogers was injured, suspected hernia then wasnt, in the meantime Thomson has came in and looked great, seems to have a velcro grip with the ball, so far, not afraid of crossed balls and has made some decent saves. Rogers this season hasnt reached the standards he set last season and at times seemed that a good shot at him equalled goal.

Crosses were his biggest weakness before. If he has improved that side of his game, he will be a decent keeper. Unlike his replacement that we are stuck with for another season.

As for the game, the measure of defeat will depend on how many goals of their own Falkirk score combined with how many are donated to them by Coco and his pals.

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

Crosses were his biggest weakness before. If he has improved that side of his game, he will be a decent keeper. Unlike his replacement that we are stuck with for another season.

As for the game, the measure of defeat will depend on how many goals of their own Falkirk score combined with how many are donated to them by Coco and his pals.

I can remember on more than one occasion Thomson and his central defenders having "discussions" about his reluctance to come for balls into the area or on how he dealt with them. 

Guest Back Post Misses
4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Our best XI is clearly

Keeper

Muirhead Grant Watson Leahy

Craigen Taiwo Sibbs Hippo

Austin A.N.Other

Thomson is in possession of the jersey and there's no reason he should lose it at this stage. Watson is injured so Luca can fill in. McKee played well in his one start but Taiwo is an excellent player at this level. Hippo and Austin give us pace. Miller is the best striker we have outwith Austin but should be saved from the bench. Baird I think is unjustly criticised and would work well with Austin, he's not fantastic but he grafts and has a decent football brain (for our level anyway).

Not convinced it is

Luca had another fine game at the weekend and is miles better than Watson in the air.

Also I think it was telling McKee got 10 minutes at the weekend. He will play Saturday I am convinced.

Personally would have McHugh with Austin, but Baird did well at the weekend.

Thomson has made me eat my words. Hardly put a foot wrong in any game so far. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Hey @Back Post Misses we any further forward on this charity bet yet? If you want to duck out that's fine as I'm sure Stratchcarron Hospice are rolling in money anyway :(

Or if it's a case of the stakes being a little too high for you how about I keep my stake at £100 and we'll reduce yours to £10? 

10 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not convinced it is

Luca had another fine game at the weekend and is miles better than Watson in the air.

Also I think it was telling McKee got 10 minutes at the weekend. He will play Saturday I am convinced.

10 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

For all that he is an odious arsehole, Falkirk are reaping the benefits of sticking with a manager who seems to have built a solid if not spectacular side.  I can't help but feel we wouldn't be in our current state of disarray had we stuck with James Fowler, but this probably isn't the thread to discuss that.

Let's discuss it here anyway.

I wasn't too bothered either way about Fowler's sacking, but I suppose you're right. 

I'm at least as sorry about Skelton's departure though.  I know there were weaknesses to the squad and that things had started going wrong before he left.  The really horrific part of our season though, came in that spell between him and Naysmith's January changes.

I don't know what happened around the club to unseat Skelton, but we've all heard the same hints and rumours.  Had Skelton been allowed a clear, stable run at things, I also think it's likely that the current disarray might have been avoided.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not convinced it is

Been pretty pleased with Thomson too. Positioning has been great most of the times he's been tested. He's had little help from his defence and midfield in the goals he has conceded.

I see no reason that Rogers should be brought back in barring injury. He'll be off and won't be back in a few weeks. Thomson is our number 1.

Was a big fan of Robbie's when he was at us. Would much rather have him than Atkinson but he's too good to be a number 2.

I think we've had a decent amount of 'keepers over the past few years. Robinson and Thomson are far from the worst we've had. Folk have short memories and seem to forget about the likes of Kris Robertson, Barry-John Corr and Callum Antell - **Shivers**

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Was a big fan of Robbie's when he was at us. Would much rather have him than Atkinson but he's too good to be a number 2.

I think we've had a decent amount of 'keepers over the past few years. Robinson and Thomson are far from the worst we've had. Folk have short memories and seem to forget about the likes of Kris Robertson, Barry-John Corr and Callum Antell - **Shivers**

Whenever I see a mention of Calum Antell I always go and have a look at his soccerbase. The lad fell out of the Edinburgh City team after a series of howlers in September but has played their last 5 games, with 3 clean sheets and only 1 defeat in that time. On reflection I suppose I am happy for him as everyone deserves success, and if things keep improving I would be happy to see him back at Palmy

Spoiler

:P:P:lol:

Archived