St Mirren vs Raith Rovers

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely superb from us today.

We've been a joy to watch these last few months.

Despite all that, we're still favourites for the play off; as it's almost certain that Raith will win next week, and so we'll need to get something from Easter Road.

We're good enough to do that, but Hibs are deserving champions so it's far from certain.

If it is the play offs, I won't feel too bad as hopefully we'd win them and we'd get to see another four games :-)

7 minutes ago, fcrover said:

Point for Dumbarton, goal for Vaughan, playoff for Rovers.  Great. Just great.

Dumbarton very very lucky to get that point.

United could have been 3-0 up in first 10 minutes.

Murray himself missed twice the number of chances Dumbarton created.

Having said that, the reason Dumbarton are now safe is because they've been pulling off results like that all season.

4 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Having said that, the reason Dumbarton are now safe is because they've been pulling off results like that all season.

Screenshot_20170227-155025~2.png

21 minutes ago, gc_smfc said:

First time I've heard Yogi fail to describe one of his teams as "guid oanest laddies". Things must be bad in that dressing room.

With no disrespect intended, that was an absolute spit-roasting today. At times we were flawless. The mix of skill and teamwork instilled by Jack Ross was typified by the fifth goal where Mallan has an opportunity to bag an extra goal, selflessly pings it on a plate to Morgan (the assist was arguably as sublime as the goal, IMO) and Morgan thumps it home.

I had no idea how today was going to go, and I'm proud and relieved we were able to put on a show like that and get the result in such an emphatic manner. I took no joy in seeing the Rovers fans file out of the ground after the fourth, they really don't deserve that shambles of a team playing before them. I thought only Mark Stewart looked like he gave toss out of the 14 Rovers players today. 

If only we hadn't conceded that last minute equaliser to Morton on Hogmanay, we'd be safe. That said, we've got a great opportunity do get something at Easter Road and I don't think this squad have anything to fear at all.

First time I've heard Yogi fail to describe one of his teams as "guid oanest laddies". Things must be bad in that dressing room.
With no disrespect intended, that was an absolute spit-roasting today. At times we were flawless. The mix of skill and teamwork instilled by Jack Ross was typified by the fifth goal where Mallan has an opportunity to bag an extra goal, selflessly pings it on a plate to Morgan (the assist was arguably as sublime as the goal, IMO) and Morgan thumps it home.
I had no idea how today was going to go, and I'm proud and relieved we were able to put on a show like that and get the result in such an emphatic manner. I took no joy in seeing the Rovers fans file out of the ground after the fourth, they really don't deserve that shambles of a team playing before them. I thought only Mark Stewart looked like he gave toss out of the 14 Rovers players today. 
If only we hadn't conceded that last minute equaliser to Morton on Hogmanay, we'd be safe. That said, we've got a great opportunity do get something at Easter Road and I don't think this squad have anything to fear at all.

Me and my pal have moved on from the spit roasting talk. If it now goes 4 or 5-0ish we talk of pants in moof.

Mark Stewart is like the Rovers in human form; he's no that good, but on his day he can score against anyone in Scotland. I like the guy.

If only we could have sneaked a win from one of those draws earlier any in the season, but it wasn't to be. It's a sickener.

We have had 3 goes at the play-offs and no success. I can't see this team being the one to break the duck. My faint hopes are pinned on a Hibs win. However, I'd be amazed if an in-form St Mirren can't get a point against a Hibs team who will have minds on a trophy presentation and their summer holidays.

Yogi is a fud.

The more he slaughters his players the worse they get, it's clearly not working. For him to claim he'd be happy with the playoffs after the Hibs game was utterly baffling stuff. I'm astounded he's not trying to encourage them and build at least a shred of confidence before a potential relegation playoff.

11 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

To be fair we also missed an open goal, saw Cammy Bell pull off a wonderful 1-on-1 save from Vaughan, Vaughan hit the side netting with him stranded and Stirling blasted straight at him from inside the box. We had 7 shots on target, they had 8. That probably makes a draw just about fair - especially given they only equalised quite late on.

So, whilst they missed some good chances early on, we also created and missed plenty. Most of Murray's efforts were from in and around the box, good chances, but not sitters.

Anyway I really came on just to comment on Yogi's "Takin one right full in the dish" comment :lol:

Felt for the Raith fans at that game. They are now basically us from 6 months ago, soft as f**k, error prone, a bit unlucky with the breaks, and as soon as they went one down today there was only going to be one winner. There was a family of Raith fans having a complete heads gone outside the west stand after the game, it was a bit of a sad sight.

For us, we were really good. That's the perfect way to bounce back from last weeks disappointment. Ross made an early change where he dropped Smith back onto the left, brought Magennis into the middle and moved Morgan onto the right and it allowed us to completely dominate the midfield. McGinn, McKenzie, Irvine, Eckersley, Morgan and Loy were all brilliant, and then you have Mallan. What a performance, since McGinn came in the improvement in Mallan has been huge.

We still have a big job to do next week. It's going to be tough getting anything from Easter Road. I don't think Raith are guaranteed a win against Ayr, but it's certainly easier than our game. If we end up in the playoffs we will have deserved it due to our early season form, but if we can keep playing like this we have a great chance of staying up.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

To be fair we also missed an open goal, saw Cammy Bell pull off a wonderful 1-on-1 save from Vaughan, Vaughan hit the side netting with him stranded and Stirling blasted straight at him from inside the box. We had 7 shots on target, they had 8. That probably makes a draw just about fair - especially given they only equalised quite late on.

So, whilst they missed some good chances early on, we also created and missed plenty. Most of Murray's efforts were from in and around the box, good chances, but not sitters.

Anyway I really came on just to comment on Yogi's "Takin one right full in the dish" comment :lol:

I watched the game in the pub after the saints game. Missed the first 20 mins, but from what I saw Dumbarton were the better team and were a bit unlucky just to draw. Dundee United aren't very good. Raging we lost to them tbh.

Just now, GAD said:

I watched the game in the pub after the saints game. Missed the first 20 mins, but from what I saw Dumbarton were the better team and were a bit unlucky just to draw. Dundee United aren't very good. Raging we lost to them tbh.

That's probably right. We were hugely nervy for the first 20 (as we always seem to be), but settled and I genuinely felt we could win it.

Given our excellent record against you guys and United it's not easy to tell, but I'd say this St Mirren team at the moment is better than the current Dundee United team. I like Bell, Kuate and Mikkelsen but apart from that I think I'd rather have most of the Saints' team.

Archived