St Mirren vs Raith Rovers

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Question for the St Mirren fans. Is this your club's biggest game since the League Cup Final?

We played Ayr at Somerset in late Feb and Ayr were 8 points ahead of us. A defeat there would probably have killed us off if they had the 11 point gap. But we won and made it a 5 point gap. Many games since then have been 'must win' in order to keep us in the hunt. Now we have to get this over the line.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
okp66FD.gif

The front 3 would walk into any team's starting 11 in this league

Brian Graham, Chris Humphreys and James Keatings are 3 fantastic Championship players.

I'm not even sure how Keatings is still in this league. An absolute cracking player and he has been for years in this league.

I'd rather we faced, Jason Cummings and John Baird last night than James Keatings.

On 25/04/2017 at 15:08, Coventry Saint said:

1,600 in the away end, give or take. Capacity of just over 8,000.

We're getting guys from The Falkirk Stadium to help with doing a head count, so attendance is expected to be confirmed at 2,387.

At least it's not as bad as at Dumbarton they were wanting a stand built for their massive support

51 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

What result do I want here? I've spent a solid five minutes looking at the table, and I've got no idea.

A draw, maybe? But then both clubs close up. I fancy St Mirren to stay up, but I fancy Raith to beat Ayr on the final day. If both those things happen it'll likely be us in 9th.

This is just ridiculously tight!

A Raith win means we go onto the Tannadice pitch knowing a draw is enough to seal it. That has to be the most preferable situation I think but there's something in my gut saying it won't be that simple.

It's sad for any teams fans who go down totally have respect for anyone who supports their local team. From my own selfish view St Mirren is a club run for more than a decade working within its means never spending 1p more than it brings in. 1,300 fans pay £12.00 a month so that St Mirren will be owned by the fans. We have a new stadium big enough for our needs along with a training ground with a academy . I'm very proud of that having suppoted the club for over 50 years. The powers to be SFA and some of it rules stink. There are clubs out there run in a professional manner not spending what they don't have while other clubs spend what they don't have for success. It's time a form of punishment is put in place when a club spends more than a certain % to its income. Back to the game. We are where we are because of the shocking mess Alex Rae put us in the first half of the season. Jack Ross came in and has done wonders for St Mirren. Came away from Dundee last week quite happy because my team tried they were not beaten by a better team more by a poor ref. If Raith sit deep like Dumbarton it will be difficult for Saints however I fully expect a Saints win on what I have seen since January a very hard working team. 

37 minutes ago, sonicsco said:

The hibs reserves we played yesterday are better than the whole st mirren team so if we play Like we did in the 2nd half we have a chance. Looking forward to the game just hope we don't lose. Would love an other hardie hat trick.

????? Over the last 10 games we are the League's form team and would be top of the League. And we beat Hibs 'first team' 2-0 only last month. I am not suggesting Saturday's game will be easy but we have possibly the best midfield in the Championship just now in Morgan, Mallan, McGinn and Magennis. 3 having been capped at U21 level (Magennis is only 18 and hasn't featured as yet). And 3 of these lads are under 21 which is always a bonus in pressure games as they do not seem to feel it as much.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

we have possibly the best midfield in the country just now in Morgan, Mallan, McGinn and Magennis.

St. Mirren fans are entitled to confidence after recent results, but I hardly think Jonny Hayes and Ryan Jack are shitting themselves at the thought of Lewis Morgan or Kyle Magennis taking their places in the Aberdeen team.

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

St. Mirren fans are entitled to confidence after recent results, but I hardly think Jonny Hayes and Ryan Jack are shitting themselves at the thought of Lewis Morgan or Kyle Magennis taking their places in the Aberdeen team.

I think 'league' might have been an arguable claim, but 'country' was definitely way OTT.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I should have clarified that as I meant the Championship and not the country. Morgan and Magennis will be playing at a  higher level that the Scottish Championship in a few years.

39 minutes ago, sonicsco said:

The hibs reserves we played yesterday are better than the whole st mirren team so if we play Like we did in the 2nd half we have a chance. Looking forward to the game just hope we don't lose. Would love an other hardie hat trick.

Pish

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The last 10 games have shown that :)

No they don't.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I should have clarified that as I meant the Championship and not the country. Morgan and Magennis will be playing at a  higher level that the Scottish Championship in a few years.

This is the same midfield that "St Mirren reject" Stuart Carswell and 19 year old Ross McCrorie kept quiet a few weeks back? You have a good midfield in good form and I don't doubt the young guys have a bright future ahead of them, but I don't see the need to put them up on a pedestal.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

No they don't.

This is the same midfield that "St Mirren reject" Stuart Carswell and 19 year old Ross McCrorie kept quiet a few weeks back? You have a good midfield in good form and I don't doubt the young guys have a bright future ahead of them, but I don't see the need to put them up on a pedestal.

You are not watching them regularly but only see them when they play against your 2 sitting defenders and 3 in front of them. Morgan was out injured that day anyway and Stelios played wide instead and never got into the game. But we were poor and should have played with another midfielder to combat your 5 in midfield. However they are an exciting midfield to watch as recent results have proved. It has been many years since I saw such a balanced and attacking midfield from St Mirren. We have had good individuals over recent years but not a whole midfield working as a unit.

15 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

St Mirren have the best midfield in the league. That'll be why they're sitting 9th. 

Precisely.

Given how far adrift we were in early December, it has taken the league's best midfield to ensure we have a shot at survival with two games to go.

I'm glad we're in agreement.

13 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

You are not watching them regularly but only see them when they play against your 2 sitting defenders and 3 in front of them. Morgan was out injured that day anyway and Stelios played wide instead and never got into the game. But we were poor and should have played with another midfielder to combat your 5 in midfield. However they are an exciting midfield to watch as recent results have proved. It has been many years since I saw such a balanced and attacking midfield from St Mirren. We have had good individuals over recent years but not a whole midfield working as a unit.

Stelios who scored your only goal of the game? If he wasn't in the game where were the others?

If a (part time) midfield of 5 effectively disables your midfield then I'd suggest they aren't best midfield in the league.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Stelios who scored your only goal of the game? If he wasn't in the game where were the others?

If a (part time) midfield of 5 effectively disables your midfield then I'd suggest they aren't best midfield in the league.

It was Magennis who scored our only goal of that game.. one of the midfielders.  Wouldn't say we have the best midfield in the league but it's certainly the strongest area of our team.

As for this game, as must winny as they come.  Don't really have any excuses here, Raith just had a tough away day midweek while we relaxed.   We haven't lost at home since January and they haven't won away since October.

We need 4 points from our last 2 games I think, 3 of them have to come here.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

It was Magennis who scored our only goal of that game.. one of the midfielders.  Wouldn't say we have the best midfield in the league but it's certainly the strongest area of our team.

Fair enough, thought it was Stelios who scored. I'd agree with your last sentence.

Archived