St Mirren vs Raith Rovers

Saturday brings forth what will likely be the biggest game of the season for both clubs and our biggest league game in many, many years. 

This is one that's going to have us edgy all week and provided Hibs can do us a favour by not losing in midweek, we can still ensure that we go into the last game of the season in a strongish position. 

Yesterday was heartbreaking in terms of the result but encouraging in terms of performance. I'm still confident we can do the business on Saturday and get the three points, though. Raith for their part will be set up wholly dependant on the result of their fixture at Easter Road. If they get a win, they'll rightly dig in for the point they need to ensure survival. If they don't win, they'll hopefully open up and come at us a little. 

Reality of the situation is that if we win our last two league games, we will probably stay up. 

Shiteing it already. This week is going to be torture. 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to tell how this game will be given that we've got Hibs away midweek. An unexpected victory at Easter Road would leave us in an excellent position. A draw wouldn't change too much.

It'd be fantastic, after being pish all season, if we could muster two away wins. But that's very much dreaming territory. 

Hopefully Raith will take at best a draw midweek against Hibs and tire themselves out which would mean if we were to win on Saturday we couldn't finish 10th even if Ayr beat Hibs. Or even better.. Hibs hammer both Raith and Ayr and we hammer Raith, but can't be greedy :rolleyes:.

I doubt our setup on Saturday will be dependent on how we fare on Wednesday. Assuming we lose on Wednesday, then if we win, we're safe, draw and we go into the last week with it still 'in our hands' - so for us Saturday is much more a must not lose game, than a must win game.

I, too, am shitting it about this game, though the extent to which I'm shitting it will depend on Wednesday evening. 

It's a must not lose rather than a must win for us. No matter what way Wednesday goes, we will still be above St. Mirren if we don't lose this. A nice thought, but our away record is utterly honking so I'm far from confident. 

6 hours ago, renton said:

I doubt our setup on Saturday will be dependent on how we fare on Wednesday. Assuming we lose on Wednesday, then if we win, we're safe, draw and we go into the last week with it still 'in our hands' - so for us Saturday is much more a must not lose game, than a must win game.

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

I, too, am shitting it about this game, though the extent to which I'm shitting it will depend on Wednesday evening. 

It's a must not lose rather than a must win for us. No matter what way Wednesday goes, we will still be above St. Mirren if we don't lose this. A nice thought, but our away record is utterly honking so I'm far from confident. 

Hibs are easy. Especially at Easter Rd. Play 3 up front with 2 wingers, 2 in midfield and 3 at the back and the game is in the bag for you guys. Then you can draw your attention to Saturday's game.

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

I'd take a reversal of the last game in Kircaldy - you play better than us, we beat you 2-0 with a gift from your keeper wrapping it up.

Sound like a plan?

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

I'd take a reversal of the last game in Kircaldy - you play better than us, we beat you 2-0 with a gift from your keeper wrapping it up.

Sound like a plan?

It sounds painfully realistic tbf. 

Might suit us a bit more that this is a must win game rather than must not lose. Most of the time when we were in relegation battles in the SPL we were ahead of our relegation rivals when we faced them post split and fucked things up by losing - Dunfermline in 2007, Hamilton in 2011 and Dundee in 2013 instantly spring to mind.

2010 when we beat Killie and 2014 when we beat Hibs and Ross County were different as just about the entire bottom six were involved. We did, famously, beat Falkirk in 2009 but that was do or die stuff as defeat would have sent us down.

Probably clutching at straws as I'd definitely rather be in Raith's position, however sometimes it can be easier when you know exactly what you have to do rather than wondering whether to stick or twist.

Archived