The Friendship Derby: Clyde vs Berwick

13 hours ago, LiviClyde said:

Purely because he is near enough the only player we've got who is capable/willing to get to the bye line. If nothing else, he gives defenders something to think about other than marking Gormley/Goodwillie out of the game because no one else is stretching them. It's not rocket science, we need players to get forward and nobody else does, especially last Saturday when Forfar could happily have 2 or 3 men on top of our two forwards for virtually the whole game.

So you think stats of 2 assists and ZERO goals in an entire season is acceptable from him when you have other wide players who could be used?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Carilly said:

So you think stats of 2 assists and ZERO goals in an entire season is acceptable from him when you have other wide players who could be used?

Of course, we have so many to choose from.

Who do you suggest? Ferguson who has failed to find any form since he came back from injury and was sadly totally ineffective the last two games when he has come on as sub? Or perhaps McKenzie who has shown nothing in the games he has featured in?

The stage is yours.

It should be pointed out that one of those assists required MacDonald to contort himself to to score from a very average cross.

I do however agree that we need some width. If Johnston drags defenders out of position it's more than anyone managed on Saturday.

I'll go mental if I see one more wee dink to Gormley with his back to goal. His control is so bad we either lose possession or at full stretch he eventually returns the ball from whence it came to repeat the process.

1 hour ago, LiviClyde said:

Of course, we have so many to choose from.

Who do you suggest? Ferguson who has failed to find any form since he came back from injury and was sadly totally ineffective the last two games when he has come on as sub? Or perhaps McKenzie who has shown nothing in the games he has featured in?

The stage is yours.

Ferguson has been out with terrible injury but is still more of a goal threat that Johnston and mckenzie has already scored 8 this season all be it for stirling one of them came against Clyde and he gives 100% every game. Going by team last sat against Forfar the amount of goals on the park equaled 26 or so from the 11 starters and the bench had 40 from 4 players these stats don't lie! Why play 5 defenders and no one with and movement in middle of park either team and formation way wrong 

Why play 5 defenders and no one with and movement in middle of park either team and formation way wrong 

Five defenders and the opposition still have so much room in and around our box!!!

The midfield is so slow and lacking in dynamism. Never tackling and never get beyond the strikers.

The team have no width with all crosses coming from 30 to 40 yards out.

We're relying on Goodwillie creating and delivering goals on his own.

We need to rip up the formation and personnel selection and start anew as there are so many issues with them currently.

I'd suggest dropping McLaughlin and putting Lochhead and MacDonald in as a start, playing Gormley in midfield and going to a 442.
(*Warning - With me in charge we'd be playing in the East of Scotland league soon [emoji30] )

13 minutes ago, Carilly said:

Ferguson has been out with terrible injury but is still more of a goal threat that Johnston and mckenzie has already scored 8 this season all be it for stirling one of them came against Clyde and he gives 100% every game. Going by team last sat against Forfar the amount of goals on the park equaled 26 or so from the 11 starters and the bench had 40 from 4 players these stats don't lie! Why play 5 defenders and no one with and movement in middle of park either team and formation way wrong 

At least we can agree that the team and formation are wrong. You can't however quote goal stats for McKenzie when they were scored with a different team. He obviously fitted better with their shape and team mates than he has so far for Clyde.

Yes he gives 100%, but so does Johnston.

FWIW I'd have had him on on Saturday ahead of Ferguson and Finnie, but I don't pick the team.

We swapped to playing with a back three plus wingbacks which resulted in victories in our last two home games, which is the only reason we’re not bottom of the league. A poor result away to the league leaders doesn’t mean you should immediately throw that out the window, particularly as we were missing two players (Smith and Johnston) out of that five.

Smith will return from suspension, so only if Johnston is still not fit should we consider changing formation, as we have no one else capable of playing right wingback. McNeil isn’t mobile enough to cover the ground we need him to and Ferguson/McKenzie have barely been good enough as out-and-out wingers, let alone wingbacks.

Our poor central midfield will be a problem regardless of formation, and I’d have Lochhead starting to offer more movement, but that looks unlikely.

Archived