New clubs in the East of Scotland

In an ideal world, there would be a Highland League, Lowland League West and Lowland League East.  

As that seems unlikely any time soon, I'd like to see (at some point), them forming some kind of Lowland League Division One West and East where they invite applications from clubs.  There would be some kind of licensing rule (although maybe something which gives clubs a year or so to gain a licence) and the leagues would slot in below the Lowland League.  You'd get any of the East/South of Scotland clubs who have a licence/potential to get one and who are actually interested in the pyramid joining along with juniors and any other interested clubs.  Whatever remains could stay as the East/South of Scotland Leagues below that (the majority of clubs in both leagues would probably stay where they are anyway; particularly in the South of Scotland League).

Of course, all of that would depend on clubs actually applying from the juniors but it would be one way of avoiding clubs having to work their way through the East/South Leagues (and potentially two divisions of the EoS League longer term) and could let a group of juniors join at once and retain their rivalries/general standard of football.

Not expecting it any time soon but could work one day down the line.

6 hours ago, edinabear said:

The potential issue I can see arising now in the East is if a Junior club does not move in the next couple of years then they could find themselves even further down the Pyramid in an East of Scotland League 2.

Ooooft good post

6 hours ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Shhhh dont tell them.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/12/2017 at 18:04, stanley said:

In an ideal world, there would be a Highland League, Lowland League West and Lowland League East.  

How would that work with the promotion playoff to League Two?

Edited by Ginaro

16 hours ago, Ginaro said:

How would that work with the promotion playoff to League Two?

When this gets mentioned it's usually bottom of League Two and the 3 Regional Champions in a blind draw, semis then finals. If you can fit in the Premiership, Championship & League One Playoffs at the end of the season, you can certainly do the same for League Two.

When this gets mentioned it's usually bottom of League Two and the 3 Regional Champions in a blind draw, semis then finals. If you can fit in the Premiership, Championship & League One Playoffs at the end of the season, you can certainly do the same for League Two.

This would be my preferred format but playoffs involving the HL have always been at the weekend. The spfl playoffs always happen with at least one midweek match per round

I think the fact that there are several Lowland League clubs without floodlights precludes midweek playoffs. All the Highland League clubs are capable of playing midweek as they have the necessary fllodlights
I didn't actually consciously realise that it's actually a quarter of the league that have no floodlights, although as far as I'm aware Selkirk have plans to put them in.

Selkirk have lights up... but apparently there is some problem with the power connection. They were down to host Dalbeattie on midweek in August but it was off and their recent games have been 2pms.

Vale and Whitehill have had tentative plans over the years but I don't think anything is imminent there or at CSS.

I think the other issue could be unfair advantage or disadvantage. If you think about it, there'd be nothing stopping the current Highland-Lowland playoff being Wednesday-Saturday... indeed it would allow the leagues to finish a week later. However you'd have had Brora coming to Edinburgh midweek but City travelling to Sutherland on weekend and so on when both had finished "equal" 43rd.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2017 at 16:42, HibeeJibee said:

Selkirk have lights up... but apparently there is some problem with the power connection. They were down to host Dalbeattie on midweek in August but it was off and their recent games have been 2pms.

Vale and Whitehill have had tentative plans over the years but I don't think anything is imminent there or at CSS.

I think the other issue could be unfair advantage or disadvantage. If you think about it, there'd be nothing stopping the current Highland-Lowland playoff being Wednesday-Saturday... indeed it would allow the leagues to finish a week later. However you'd have had Brora coming to Edinburgh midweek but City travelling to Sutherland on weekend and so on when both had finished "equal" 43rd.

I'm sure wee Tam was saying something about having plans to get lights eventually the last time I bumped into him. 

Maybe they should dig up the set going to waste on the old pitch near Drylaw Polis Station! 

This is where it gets interesting if clubs want to be Licenced and part of the pyramid, once these spaces are gone you would feel the chance for SJFA clubs being part of pyramid or Licenced within the next few years would be gone unless they have a 2nd EOS League or a LL East/West.

The  SJFA may well have a plan to help their more ambitious clubs with this,p.

Clydebank are rumoured to be ready to apply subject to members vote, leaves 1 space. Big Junior teams once everyone is implemented  in the pyramid could be at least 2 Leagues below the LL, it could be years before they reach the LL if that’s where they want to be. You could effectively have Dalkeith as the main attraction in the region if they can get to the LL with the guaranteed Scottish Cup (subject to licence) and extra finances over Junior clubs to upgrade facilities and compete for the better players.

15 hours ago, kefc said:

You could effectively have Dalkeith as the main attraction in the region if they can get to the LL with the guaranteed Scottish Cup (subject to licence) and extra finances over Junior clubs to upgrade facilities and compete for the better players.

It's 3.5 miles as the crow flies from Dalkeith's park to Whitehill Welfare, they're hardly breaking new ground!

Hearing from a couple of people that the EOS League might be open to an 18 Team League from next season depending on applicants.

There could also be a possibility of 2 divisions being made up if applications exceed 18 teams with the possibility of the teams at the lower end of the current EOS League choosing to go drop out to the newly formed 2nd division so they can be at a more competitive level.

With more promotion and relegation spots being discussed with the LL it’s fairly forward thinking by the people in charge.

Dalkeith, Clydebank and a possible 3rd Club in East Lothian all applied or looking to apply for next season.

17 minutes ago, kefc said:

Hearing from a couple of people that the EOS League might be open to an 18 Team League from next season depending on applicants.

There could also be a possibility of 2 divisions being made up if applications exceed 18 teams with the possibility of the teams at the lower end of the current EOS League choosing to go drop out to the newly formed 2nd division so they can be at a more competitive level.

With more promotion and relegation spots being discussed with the LL it’s fairly forward thinking by the people in charge.

Dalkeith, Clydebank and a possible 3rd Club in East Lothian all applied or looking to apply for next season.

Do you mean that you've heard that a third club from East Lothian have applied or are you merely hoping?

37 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Do you mean that you've heard that a third club from East Lothian have applied or are you merely hoping?

I heard a 3rd club are looking into applying although I’m not sure what stage they are at.

1 hour ago, kefc said:

with the possibility of the teams at the lower end of the current EOS League choosing to go drop out to the newly formed 2nd division so they can be at a more competitive level.

This is the bit for me that makes sense. No club wants to admit they’re struggling results wise, but surely if two leagues come about, it might put off bigger named clubs from joining, having to go through a second division first and the drubbings that would inevitably happen for me anyway, aren’t nice to watch

1 hour ago, kefc said:

If Clydebank are serious about joining the Pyramid I would have thought they would have been a prominent voice in setting up the West of Scotland League. Although, perhaps they view the East of Scotland as an easier pathway