New clubs in the East of Scotland

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I don't think reserve sides do any harm at all and given the long history of reserves in the EoS, I don't think there is any level of opposition from member clubs as long as it's done correctly and with respect (which was lacking with the shoehorning of the B sides into the LL, but ultimately the LL member clubs voted for it).  

Livingston B will play games at the main stadium, so bring with them proper facilities, same with the Gala application, and they'll start at the bottom.  I don't see any reason not to allow them to join as long as they tick all boxes.

Except that Gala's pitch is better than Almondvale's... :lol:

Besides Stirling University's run with their EoS side, the recent Reserve teams stints in the 21st Century has been patchy at best. Hope the league gets a decent multi-year bond at least.

4x Berwick Rangers 2010-2014
3x Spartans 2013-2016
1x Hibernian 2013-14
1x Berwick Rangers 2007-08

As long as they have the same player registration rules as everyone else. Pick their squad for the season, not allow open-day when switching players from the 1st team to the 'reserves' so you don't have 8 changes every game because the big team wants some of them to play in a friendly in Dubai or something. 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

You seriously don't think teams whose main aim is to develop players rather than win games does any harm at all?

I can assure you every team wants to win games, regardless of who they are.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

I can assure you every team wants to win games, regardless of who they are.

I'm sure the players do. But do you really think the B teams' coaches are deciding line-ups and substitutions 100% on what's most likely to get them the points and not what's best for the players' development, which is surely the main focus of their job?

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm sure the players do. But do you really think the B teams' coaches are deciding line-ups and substitutions 100% on what's most likely to get them the points and not what's best for the players' development, which is surely the main focus of their job?

Yes absolutely they are.  I've been to a fair few Hearts B games in the LL this season on a Friday night. Their starting XI's are very consistent, they play to a system that presses teams to win games. They don't let up.  They are a "team" and they are having success in getting young players ready for the first team - Tait, Pollock, Denholm, Wilson being four who have first team minutes this season, with others on the bench.  They seemed pretty happy at securing second place last Friday.

I believe Celtic B have had a couple of players in the first team this season as well, Daniel Kelly and Rocco Vata spring to mind although I'm not sure how consistent their starting XI's are.

It never struck me when watching Stirling Uni Reserves in the EoS that they were anything but committed to winning games, particularly when beating my team.

It's far easier to develop players in a team who give a f*ck about winning than one who doesn't and is just going through the motions - not that you can go through the motions really.

Edited by Burnieman

The B teams in the Lowland League have consistently fielded different XIs depending on the needs of the senior clubs.

Hearts especially, but also Celtic, promoted youth players to their first team long before they gatecrashed the Lowland League. It is absolutely no reflection on them having B teams.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The B teams in the Lowland League have consistently fielded different XIs depending on the needs of the senior clubs.

Hearts especially, but also Celtic, promoted youth players to their first team long before they gatecrashed the Lowland League. It is absolutely no reflection on them having B teams.

Absolutely not the case with Hearts B, as I said their line-ups have been pretty consistent throughout the season, the only significant change being Makenzie Kirk's loan to Hamilton in January, and Tait being promoted to the first team around the same time. Denholm and Pollock came from last seasons B team, and Wilson stepped up from U18's this season and also has first team minutes.  It's not often that the line-up is significantly affected by first team call ups, they've had more problems with injuries than anything else.

As for promoting youth players, the B team for Hearts has - according to the club and coaches - been a valuable stepping stone between U18 and first team, particularly in the absence of anything resembling a proper reserve league, hence why they signed up for another 3 years.  I'm guessing they don't spunk £100k a year on something they don't get benefit from.

I get that some people don't like them, but let's not make stuff up to justify your dislike.

Anyway, the B teams don't play in the EoS so it's very off-topic.

Edited by Burnieman

You can look at loads of other youngsters who broke into the Hearts team over the last decade who did not require a B team. Hearts will love it because it lets them stockpile players at that level.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You can look at loads of other youngsters who broke into the Hearts team over the last decade who did not require a B team. Hearts will love it because it lets them stockpile players at that level.

Yes everyone has had youth players who broke into first teams, unfortunately there is no longer an U20/U21 league to play in that there was a decade ago, and the reserve league of old is long gone.

As for "stock piling" what does that even mean? majority of these players have moved through the Academy, U18 and now B team. You know, a pathway. A lot of them will likely now move on.

Anyway way off topic. There's B team thread in the LL forum if you want to continue it.

It means they have a bunch of players who they would have previously released who they now hold on to a bit longer to be teammates of the guys who they actually think can make it.

The clubs were desperate to replace an U21 league with a reserve league, and then the bigger clubs deliberately sabotaged that to pursue their own desires to push their B team agenda. If Celtic, Rangers and Hearts all still entered the reserve league it would be much stronger.

A discussion about the merits of B teams clearly has its place here given that the whole reason it started was because more clubs are planning to enter B teams into the East of Scotland League.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

It means they have a bunch of players who they would have previously released who they now hold on to a bit longer to be teammates of the guys who they actually think can make it.

The clubs were desperate to replace an U21 league with a reserve league, and then the bigger clubs deliberately sabotaged that to pursue their own desires to push their B team agenda. If Celtic, Rangers and Hearts all still entered the reserve league it would be much stronger.

A discussion about the merits of B teams clearly has its place here given that the whole reason it started was because more clubs are planning to enter B teams into the East of Scotland League.

As I said, best moved to the LL threads.   I understand there isn't much opposition from clubs to B / Reserve teams in the EoS as long as all the boxes are ticked so all of this is really a moot point being discussed on here.