New clubs in the East of Scotland

10 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Linlithgow's meeting is not till 4th June, presuming they've already put an application they get to sit back in the catbird seat with everything decided for them

Does that mean we'll have to wait until after the 4th before the EoSFL tell us what the league set up will be for next season?  I'd be surprised if they announced the detail while Linlithgow decided what route they were going to take.

23 minutes ago, MDM said:

Does that mean we'll have to wait until after the 4th before the EoSFL tell us what the league set up will be for next season?  I'd be surprised if they announced the detail while Linlithgow decided what route they were going to take.

The EOS AGM is 7th June, so no structure will be decided before then anyway, regardless of Linlithgow's decision.

5b0dc7a9c766e_phonebox.jpg.55bf4f6aa4e71f98da0841254c1d0199.jpg
The East of Scotland League is beginning to look like this!
Here's an Ardath Photocard from the 1930s of the Penicuik team that played in the East of Scotland League. I think that's the (Percival) King Cup in the photo as the back of the card says that they won it the season before. Winning the King Cup is now something that the Rookie Cookie can aspire to next season! 
5b0dc814835eb_penicuikfc.jpg.816f3f6b7f0e2e7d422ac2aa03de06b5.jpg
Great pic, which i also think was included in our 125 brochure. Penicuik have been 'senior' previously and won the King Cup amongst others on more than one occasion backninnthe 1930's. We look forward to the challenge!

What are peoples opinion on best / fairest structure for next year?

Fairest I presume would be the new entrants play in a division one, however that may not be the best solution.

What are the thoughts of the weaker existing EOS clubs? Would they voluntarily play in a new 1st div to avoid being hammered every week?

What are peoples opinion on best / fairest structure for next year?

Fairest I presume would be the new entrants play in a division one, however that may not be the best solution.

What are the thoughts of the weaker existing EOS clubs? Would they voluntarily play in a new 1st div to avoid being hammered every week?

I thought the plan was to seed 2 parallel leagues. After next season the top half’s will form the top league and bottom half the lower league?

2 minutes ago, sponsorsladdie said:

I thought the plan was to seed 2 parallel leagues. After next season the top half’s will form the top league and bottom half the lower league?

If there are more than 36 teams then the two parallel leagues probably wouldn't work

There has been talk about 2 (possibly now 3) parallel leagues and then teams can qualify for next season's "EOS Premier" with 16 teams. Now with so many strong junior teams moving over, that might need a rethink. The East Superleague teams moving over + LTHV could mean 4 strong teams per division, with most of them capable to give some of the weaker sides double figure hammerings. I can't imagine these teams being happy with up to 8 such hammerings in a season?

Maybe instead go to qualifying leagues before to put the strongest teams together in one division  with promotion/relegation at the end of the season?

Edited by Marten

Problem you have is there's a sort of 'dead zone' between 36 and 40. If you got up to 40 or 42 you could have say 4 x 10 with some inter conference games or 3 x 14 on a standard basis. Albeit no straight title match. It's a kind of repeat of the issue discussed what seems an eternity ago on the high teens to low twenties when 'max of 32' in the EEN seemed fanciful.

Even having 2 x 18 could be pushing the envelope given it'll mean 34 league games instead of 30, though it'd probably be a one-off. Also a surprising number of the teams leaving the Juniors have devils lanterns.

With it looking increasingly likely to be three parallel leagues needed there is also the question of how to deal with a situation where the three leagues have unequal numbers of participants. 

For a fair decision on who forms the EOS Premier in 2019-20 there may well need to be some form of playoffs at the end of the season between 5th and 6th place in each League, especially if they each have a different number of teams. 

Or the eosfl could conclude that when they reach 36 they would not consider any further applications as it would become unmanageable, potentially deferring late applications until next season for entry. 

This would seem fair to me, makes the situation more manageable and ensures further expansion next season. Having 3 leagues of 14 etc doesn't look great, two 18s would be fine so long as a cup competition is dropped for the season. 

I assume though that it will be the members of the eosfl association (current clubs who have played for at least a season) and the Committee that will decide how they will organise things. It could have been decided weeks ago if everyone had applied at the first calling, although to be fair not everyone knew what was truth, half truth or non truth back then..... 

Think they blew it opening it up until the 31st May, they should've closed the door when they got to 32 teams. Maybe got a bit greedy and were waiting for Linlithgow and Bo'ness.

Nobody really wants to be in a 10 / 12 team league.

Suggested format:

First phase:

Sections A & B: 40 teams divided into two parallel sections of 20 teams (playing each other once giving 19 games):

Second phase:

Group 1 - Top 5 teams from each section (playing each other once giving 9 games)

Group 2 - Next 5 teams from each section (playing each other once giving 9 games)

Group 3 - Next 5 teams from each section (playing each other once giving 9 games)

Group 4 - Bottom 5 teams from each section (playing each other once giving 9 games)

28 games in total for each club

System would easily facilitate placings of 1-40.

But system could easily accommodate 38-44 clubs

Not perfect with single rounds (rather than home and away) but would easily get the EoS over the line.

Group 2 would become really competitive as the top 6 would be in the 2019/20 EoS Premier Division while the bottom 4 would drop to Tier 7.

Would advise a championship final (2 legs) between the two top teams of Group 1 to create major interest and attendances

My personal suggestion but there are a myriad of possible formats.

5 minutes ago, Cyril said:

Think they blew it opening it up until the 31st May, they should've closed the door when they got to 32 teams. Maybe got a bit greedy and were waiting for Linlithgow and Bo'ness....

The Evening News article on Friday last week made it obvious they were bending over backwards to try to get Bo'ness and Lithgae (it appears to have worked exactly as intended, because it took until Saturday afternoon until the committees decided to go for it judging by what Bo'ness people have been posting) and that would have been so they could try to kill off the east region as a serious rival south of the Tay once and for all, so I suspect they are happy with the late rush. If the numbers reach the point where they have 3 x 14 I suspect that would be the new sweet spot in logistics terms.

25 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's an interesting idea Pyramidic but there's no chance you'd get most/all clubs to 19 games at the same time (let alone 2 different leagues clearly demarcated into 4 bands of 5). Cups replays postponements etc.

I agree there could be problems if there was slippage in the completion deadline for Phase 1.  One possibility would be programming in a catch-up period when games could be completed on available 3G pitches if necessary. At the same time perhaps reducing the number of cup competitions for a season.

Three sections of 12/14 teams is fine (playing home and away) but may becomes a little messy working out final placings. This would necessitate for example clubs finishing in 6th place in each of the 3 sections to play-off to determine the final Tier 6 place for the 2019/20 season.

There is then the issue of whether the EoSL runs a Premier Division (Tier 6), Division 1 (Tier 7), Division 2 North (Tier 8) and Division 2 South (Tier 8)  in 2019/20 - assuming there will be further influx of ERJFA clubs at the end of next season. If there were enough for 4 divisions in 2019/20 the placings for 2018/19 season of course become critical.