New clubs in the East of Scotland

Re Penicuik, what does "looks like" mean, because all I've seen are a few posts here quoting each other, and one from an actual Penicuik fan implying they haven't even applied?

It's exactly what I said, it looks like those 4 clubs have applied and been accepted. There was also a tweet last night naming those 4 clubs.

Re Penicuik, what does "looks like" mean, because all I've seen are a few posts here quoting each other, and one from an actual Penicuik fan implying they haven't even applied?
We hadnt applied at that point in time! We have done since and anything else posted on here prior to that was pure speculation.

5 minutes ago, The REAL Rookie Cookie said:
44 minutes ago, corner said:

We hadnt applied at that point in time! We have done since and anything else posted on here prior to that was pure speculation.

Thanks RRC, now I believe it :)

3 hours ago, Robert James said:

True, but far from ideal as the clubs would be playing each other 3 times in 2018/19. A better choice might be to suspend some cup competitions for one season only.

Can we expect an official notification about the final EoSL list of clubs/structure, next Friday ? Or will this be subject to approval at the AGM on 7th June ?

Teams only played each other twice this season with 13 teams, and some teams were struggling to cram their fixtures in at the end.

By my reckoning LTHV played 44 matches this season and Kelty have played 38 with 1 to go. In comparison, Tweedmouth played 32 matches.

If we got to 36 teams, 3x12 might be the way to go (except that determining the overall champion would be a bit fiddly).

If membership stays at 30, giving us 2 leagues of 15 - teams will have 28 league matches plus anything between 7 and 25 cup matches. Realistically, the stronger teams with decent cup runs could expect to play 10-12 cup matches, so a total of about 38-40 for the season.

Maybe time to rest the Qualifying League Cup?

32 minutes ago, gwd440 said:

If we got to 36 teams, 3x12 might be the way to go (except that determining the overall champion would be a bit fiddly).

Given the travel distances involved wouldn't be drastic and midweek games should be possible by mid-April, you could do it in the space of as little as a week with all three teams getting a home game and an away game, which is what would happen with two section champions:

A vs B

C vs A

B vs C

Not ideal obviously, but it's only for one season.

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Two teams struggled to cram their fixtures in at the end and that wasnt anything to do with fixture set up. One of these clubs  is moving to a new park and hopefully work will have been completed on the problem pitch to allow for this problem to be eased. And of course the fact that LTHV wont be in Scottish cup  means their amount of games if not reduced then will be spread more evenly over the season.I agree resting the league cup might be a good idea though.

Instead of qualifying leagues possibly straight knock out

1 hour ago, gwd440 said:

some teams were struggling to cram their fixtures in at the end.

LTHV and to a lesser extent Tynecastle struggled to cram their fixtures in as Saughton Enclosure was a sodden morass which was unplayable 27 times. Peebles was next worst at 6. Rest were 2 to 4 each, except Heriot-Watt and Kelty only 1 each.

Tweedmouth v Ormiston was the only midweek game all spring not involving LTHV and/or Tynecastle.

21 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Two teams struggled to cram their fixtures in at the end and that wasnt anything to do with fixture set up. One of these clubs  is moving to a new park and hopefully work will have been completed on the problem pitch to allow for this problem to be eased. And of course the fact that LTHV wont be in Scottish cup  means their amount of games if not reduced then will be spread more evenly over the season.I agree resting the league cup might be a good idea though.

OK, LTHV and Tynecastle were the main crammers, but there were quite a few games played after the Lowland League Play-off. If any of those teams had been involved in the title chase, then there may have been more cramming. However, as you say, hopefully the pitch issues won't be a factor next season.

LTHV's 5 Scottish Cup matches didn't help.  Are they definitely not in the Cup next season?  I thought the rumour was that they had gained their licence.

22 minutes ago, gwd440 said:

OK, LTHV and Tynecastle were the main crammers, but there were quite a few games played after the Lowland League Play-off. If any of those teams had been involved in the title chase, then there may have been more cramming. However, as you say, hopefully the pitch issues won't be a factor next season.

All the top half finished on April 28th except Tynecastle (plus Preston played Coldstream on May 5th - though if they'd been in the running both had every midweek in March & April free).

15 minutes ago, left half said:

Lots of enthusiasm here for Junior clubs joining the EOS/Pyramid. No one has mentioned the fact that some of these clubs will never actually leave this set up for better things !!

What if they don't? It provides the opportunity, plus even a cursory examination of club statements or the local press shows there are many more reasons for joining than just aiming for SPFL/LL.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, left half said:

Lots of enthusiasm here for Junior clubs joining the EOS/Pyramid. No one has mentioned the fact that some of these clubs will never actually leave this set up for better things !!

Well they have a better chance of leaving the setup than if they stayed in the Juniors outside of the pyramid.

3 minutes ago, left half said:

I'm sure everyone realises that, but they have a chance, which is the point.

6 minutes ago, left half said:

Lots of people have mentioned that few of the teams will progress beyond the EoS. The point is that being a licenced club in the EoS will most likely  in itself be a "better thing".

31 minutes ago, left half said:

That’s actually a very good point, I’m betting no one has thought of this