New clubs in the East of Scotland

Newport also head over the Tay Bridge for their soccer fix, IIRC. I thought you'd missed King's Park in Scottish AFL but having investigated it's come as a revelation to me they're from Glasgow not Stirling :lol:.

Conversely - in the Stirling & District AFA you have:
* Barrhill and Harestanes (from Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch in East Dunbartonshire)
* Chryston, Carbrain, Condorrat, Drumpellier, MLSL and Springhill (from in and around Cumbernauld, Coatbridge and Shotts in North Lanarkshire).

If we're talking about exceptions to "groupings" of the old local government regions then Langholm is in D&G, and Biggar in Lanarkshire, but both play in Border AFA.

However as with your examples it's all for logical geographical reasons. Indeed some small counties/districts would never have had their own amateur leagues. Days of Edinburgh teams in the Caledonian AFL and Scottish AFL ended sometime ago.

Montrose Roselea are from Angus but play in North Juniors (indeed they had to spend a year in its West District!). Dunipace were a Stirlingshire club playing in West Juniors but going EOSL. Think I'm right in saying that Harthill itself is in Lanarkshire but their ground, outside the village as you approach from the east, is in West Lothian.

Edited by HibeeJibee

16 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

It’s 100% Linlithgows choice to join the EoS or stay Junior. I think they’re making a mistake but that’s only my opinion. I do however think they should have a meeting to discuss it like Bo’ness so all members can air their views and opinions.

Totally agree.

I'm not a big fan of the pyramid. That said through asking questions and listening I have no doubt moving is the best option.  To not discuss with members is totally undemocratic and gives out the wrong message to members.  Most who irrespective of views are united in the need and desire to discuss.

Most are resigned to the fact there are no options with the EoS now available for 2018/19.  Or there probably would have been members who would have made the relevant approach to the club.

Edited by Auld Heid

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Newport also head over the Tay Bridge for their soccer fix, IIRC. I thought you'd missed King's Park in Scottish AFL but having investigated it's come as a revelation to me they're from Glasgow not Stirling :lol:.

Conversely - in the Stirling & District AFA you have:
* Barrhill and Harestanes (from Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch in East Dunbartonshire)
* Chryston, Carbrain, Condorrat, Drumpellier, MLSL and Springhill (from in and around Cumbernauld, Coatbridge and Shotts in North Lanarkshire).

If we're talking about exceptions to "groupings" of the old local government regions then Langholm is in D&G, and Biggar in Lanarkshire, but both play in Border AFA.

However as with your examples it's all for logical geographical reasons. Indeed some small counties/districts would never have had their own amateur leagues. Days of Edinburgh teams in the Caledonian AFL and Scottish AFL ended sometime ago.

Montrose Roselea are from Angus but play in North Juniors (indeed they had to spend a year in its West District!). Dunipace were a Stirlingshire club playing in West Juniors but going EOSL. Think I'm right in saying that Harthill itself is in Lanarkshire but their ground, outside the village as you approach from the east, is in West Lothian.

Yes Harthill Royal play in Greenrigg, where several hundred houses form the West Lothian part of Harthill. 

This anomaly was identified for correction in 1976 with the Local Government Boundary Commission for Scotland proposing to put all of Harthill into Motherwell district and Strathclyde region. The plan was “prayed against” in the House of Commons by the late Tam Dalyell, MP for West Lothian and so the transfer was dropped.

Tayport do not have a team in the Midlands. Newport have 2 teams in the Midlands.

In general amateurs Dundee also now actually has a thriving Saturday morning league structure that is affiliated to the safa.
Fife thistle B from balmullo in fife were also playing in that league.

6 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Totally agree.

I'm not a big fan of the pyramid. That said through asking questions and listening I have no doubt moving is the best option.  To not discuss with members is totally undemocratic and gives out the wrong message to members.  Most who irrespective of views are united in the need and desire to discuss.

Most are resigned to the fact there are no options with the EoS now available for 2018/19.  Or there probably would have been members who would have made the relevant approach to the club.

There are still options to join the EoS for 2018/19.

The league's aim was to have 2 X 16 divisions, both at Tier 6.  Thirteen new clubs have joined making a total of 26, so there are still 6 vacancies at tier 6.

The EoS issued a statement that it will accept and consider "late applications" providing these are received BEFORE its AGM  on 7th June. Two  late applications have been received, with some other junior clubs considering whether to apply (Bo'ness has called a members meeting next Monday). Don't Linlithgow's Members know this ?  

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

The league's aim was to have 2 X 16 divisions, both at Tier 6.  Thirteen new clubs have joined making a total of 26, so there are still 6 vacancies at tier 6.

The EoS issued a statement that it will accept and consider "late applications" providing these are received BEFORE its AGM  on 7th June. Two  late applications have been received, with some other junior clubs considering whether to apply (Bo'ness has called a members meeting next Monday). Don't Linlithgow's Members know this ?  

They are unlikely to discuss it before  their weekly meeting on Monday - the wheels don't move fast.........!!!!!!!!

On 5/17/2018 at 12:59, Robert James said:

Isn't Craigroyston one of them as they're leaving the juniors as well.

Tbf only 3-4 weeks ago they unanimously agreed to remain Junior as that's what their manager / players wished going by this from the East Lothian Courier (May 3rd). Must've felt different on reflection.

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/sport/16190106.Three_East_Lothian_football_clubs_set_to_leave_juniors_set_up/

If the three clubs do move, it will mean Dunbar United will be the only county club left in the junior set-up for the 2018/19 season.

Malcolm Jones, club secretary, told the Courier: “At a recent meeting of the committee and management it was unanimously agreed that Dunbar United would remain a junior football club.

“The ongoing commitment of the management and players to the club was primary in the decision made by the committee.”

Today (Thursday) is the deadline for the 13 clubs accepted into the senior set-up to confirm their move, after which an official statement is expected from the East of Scotland League committee.

Good news.  Makes sense considering that Preston and Ormiston are already EoS and Musselburgh, Haddington and Tranent are moving across.  Would have left Dunbar as the only East Lothian junior side.  I assume that made them change their mind so drastically from a few weeks ago.

wc4.thumb.jpg.45a45dd17b4fcb621c5dccd7b09f5625.jpg

Dunbar bring a ground with floodlights, a micro climate that means games are quite often on in the winter (it's Scotland's sunniest place!), a hard working committee and bloody nice pies. 

There's also a bar in the Hallhill Centre next to the ground. 

Its a cracking wee ground, and great for all you trainspotters as well as that's the ECML right behind one of the goals..

20170121_132550.jpg