New clubs in the East of Scotland

8 minutes ago, old speckled hen said:

I would actually be inclined to go with the playing each other once idea. They played each other three times when there were the leagues of fourteen outwith the SPL not so long ago so no different to playing once really and only for one season anyway.  At least after everyone having played each other once their final position would be on merit. The qualifying leagues are seeded are they not with two strong teams and two weaker teams in a section so not sure how they would decide where the new teams would be placed.

The EoS decision from its AGM is to have 2 "conferences" of 13 clubs in  each, which could rise to as many as 16 clubs in each, if there are sufficient late applications (apparently only 1 known so far ?) with a play-off to decide the champion club for promotion (assuming it has a licence by 31st March 2019).

Presumably seeding will be assessed on final league position, with an appropriate weighting applied based on the clubs league & division.

54 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The EoS decision from its AGM is to have 2 "conferences" of 13 clubs in  each, which could rise to as many as 16 clubs in each, if there are sufficient late applications (apparently only 1 known so far ?) with a play-off to decide the champion club for promotion (assuming it has a licence by 31st March 2019).

Presumably seeding will be assessed on final league position, with an appropriate weighting applied based on the clubs league & division.

They've had the AGM?

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

I believe they were seeding it but also taking into consideration the amount of teams that have floodlights are split between both leagues (which makes sense) and also making sure 1 team didn't have excessive travelling.

3 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Great life when you've got a millionaire backer.

Plenty teams got millionaire backers and achieve diddly squat, think if you have a closer look at kelty you’ll find their sponsorship and match day packages , bar etc generate quite a bit of their income so to say it’s down to a millionaire backer is a bit unfair on said millionaire and the committee who work tirelessly getting the money in 

5 hours ago, Jamesw said:

When will eos make announcement? Was due 7 days after meeting wasnt it?

Statement appeared a week past Friday, IIRC, confirming the 13 new members. Prior to that Clydebank and Dundonald had announced they were making deferred applications for 2019-20.

Membership currently stands at 26 clubs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_East_of_Scotland_Football_League#Teams_2

In the statement it said a final number of members for the league arrangement - reportedly 2 parallel conferences - wouldn't be confirmed until LL relegation and late applicants were known. Cowdenbeath surviving on Saturday means Vale of Leithen survive in LL; while the statement indicated late applications would be considered at EOS AGM on June 7th (as was old practice).

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Statement appeared a week past Friday, IIRC, confirming the 13 new members. Prior to that Clydebank and Dundonald had announced they were making deferred applications for 2019-20.

Membership currently stands at 26 clubs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_East_of_Scotland_Football_League#Teams_2

In the statement it said a final number of members for the league arrangement - reportedly 2 parallel conferences - wouldn't be confirmed until LL relegation and late applicants were known.

Cowdenbeath surviving on Saturday means Vale of Leithen survive in LL; while the statement indicated late applications would be considered at EOS AGM on June 7th (as was old practice).

Comparing this year's wiki page to next year's and it really hits how dramatic the change has been.

27 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It's not a top league though, it's 2 parallel leagues...

It's occurred to me that if the Sportsound punditry cannot get their heads around what league Kelty were in or how Cowdenbeath wouldn't take Cove's place in HL, this novelty will have them utterly bamboozled, btw...

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I take it there will be some ridiculous playoff system where only one club goes up from the SoS, EOSx2?

Rumours of the Lowand League increasing its number of relegation spots.

I'd like to see the two EoS winners play off against each other.  Winner goes up.  Loser plays off against SoS champion for second promotion spot.  Only three (or four with Wigtown) licensed clubs in the SoS and few, if any, want to go up so I doubt they'd want an automatic promotion spot.

Play-off for 14th would be a bit difficult to organise with the way the promotion play-offs work. If a highland league side relegate a lowland region team then how would you work the re-jig, the current system would state 13th would go down, but how could that work if 14th stayed up. Or do you have a team win promotion/avoid relegation in the play-off only to end up playing tier 6 any way.

I think if you have 16 teams then you could probably max out at 3 'normal relegation spots ' which could become 2 or 4 if a re-jig is required

47 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Play-off for 14th would be a bit difficult to organise with the way the promotion play-offs work. If a highland league side relegate a lowland region team then how would you work the re-jig, the current system would state 13th would go down, but how could that work if 14th stayed up. Or do you have a team win promotion/avoid relegation in the play-off only to end up playing tier 6 any way.

Either's clearly preposterous.

You'd have to wait until SPFL2-HL/LL playoff completed, before holding LL-EOSL/SOSL playoff.

Either's clearly preposterous.

You'd have to wait until SPFL2-HL/LL playoff completed, before holding LL-EOSL/SOSL playoff.

Obviously I considered that, pretty difficult for scheduling tho? Potential long time hanging around waiting to play a pivotal tie.

13 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I see that problem. It would be assumed that the terrible playoff system between the SPFL and the HL/LL would still exist. In any case would the LL have to rigidly stick to 16 clubs? If so then club comes down, 14th stays up, playoff between EOS third and SOS. I can see a problem with this if the scenario keeps repeating LOL, however we have to trust in the lack of willingness from certain HL clubs towards playing in the SPFL.

I also see another way of dealing with it as potentially unpopular at 5th tier level. Moving the closest club geographically to the other league as is done in England. This is more likely to work once the level 6 has more clubs involved, more leagues with closer geographic proximity, but at level 5 no. 

There are 3 ways of doing it... (1) moving clubs between leagues; (2) flexible division sizes; (3) safety valve relegation.

Currently (1) doesn't work as you'd have to move Cove to LL or Stirling Uni into HL; (2) doesn't really work as you could end-up with odd numbers or subsequently have 4 too few fixtures or 4 too many; which leaves (3) that Selkirk experienced last season and Vale this.

8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Obviously I considered that, pretty difficult for scheduling tho? Potential long time hanging around waiting to play a pivotal tie.

Absolutely. This season:

Cowdenbeath-Cove 2nd leg = Saturday 12th May... so Saturdays 19th & 26th May?

Last season:

Cowdenbeath-EK 2nd leg = Saturday 20th May... so Saturdays 27th May & 3rd June?

Edited by HibeeJibee

13 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Yeah as I mentioned its not really workable at level 5, but choice (2) although not ideal has happened in the past in the HL and would have happened again if Cove Rangers won promotion to League 2 this not taking into account Fort William's current plight. (3) The most workable way at the moment.

However my point is about increasing the number of clubs moving between leagues and one example is having this current EOS v SoS playoff system which in my opinion is not enough.

The current EoS v SoS isn't going to last. Keep in mind this was the first year it has even had to happen because both champions were licenced. Last year Edusport were the first team to be promoted to the Lowland League and did so without having to go through a playoff as LTHV were unlicenced.

For next season there's likely to be 2 promotion spots to the Lowland and the Lowland having the potential to relegate 3 of its teams to stay at 16.

Then 2019-20 no one knows what the make up of Tier 6 will look like, so it has the potential to change to something completely different.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

45 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

The bottom club in SPFL Division 2 should be relegated automatically, and be replaced by the winner of the SLL & HFL play-off. This would be an incentive to the pyramid clubs, and reduce the number of play off games by 2 matches.

19 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Yeah as I mentioned its not really workable at level 5, but choice (2) although not ideal has happened in the past in the HL and would have happened again if Cove Rangers won promotion to League 2 this not taking into account Fort William's current plight. (3) The most workable way at the moment.

However my point is about increasing the number of clubs moving between leagues and one example is having this current EOS v SoS playoff system which in my opinion is not enough.

Fort William has appointed a new Board, and has confirmed that the club will not be taking demotion to the North Caledonian League.