New clubs in the East of Scotland

If there has indeed been 12 applicants, that will leave 25 teams for next season unless Kelty or LTHV lose the play off (very unlikely), whatever way the leagues are set up, I think both leagues will be very competitive. I've seen Herriot Watt and Preston play this season and I think both looked around Premier / South Division standard, Burntisland I have also seen and I think they would struggle in the south division. 

29 minutes ago, Cyril said:

If there has indeed been 12 applicants, that will leave 25 teams for next season unless Kelty or LTHV lose the play off (very unlikely), whatever way the leagues are set up, I think both leagues will be very competitive. I've seen Herriot Watt and Preston play this season and I think both looked around Premier / South Division standard, Burntisland I have also seen and I think they would struggle in the south division. 

Burntisland I believe signed a few new players and apart from the Kelty result in the cup last weekend, they are one of the form teams in the league just now.

On 02/04/2018 at 21:08, FairWeatherFan said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/substantial-number-of-teams-apply-for-eos-league-1-4717330

Lifted from the Junior forum after being posted by gogsy. Suggested that the league could expand from 13-32 next year. Could be 19 applicants or 17 applicants taking into consideration relegation from the Lowland League and the EoSFL champion failing to be promoted.

Not sure you could get way with parallel leagues at Tier 6 with this many clubs. Will be interesting to see what format they come up with.

There are a number of options which will be considered by the EoS, presumably at its EGM.

IMO, one of the best ideas is a "pre-league" tournament (August/early September), probably seeded, for an estimated 24 clubs (realistic) with say 6 groups of 4 clubs, each playing each other home and away (=6 games). The top 2 in each group would form a 'First' Division, and the bottom 2 would form the  'Second Division'. The full EoS league season would then commence (in September), with each club playing a further 22 matches, making a total of 28 games in total (excluding 'normal cup games).  This would be for 2018/19 only, with promotion & relegation at the end of the season.   

Exciting, and fair to both existing and new clubs.

5 hours ago, Insideinfo said:

The danger is the EoS dilute a poor league further. Adding numbers doesn't equate to adding value.

In this case it does though, because once you get enough numbers for two divisions then a team like Tweedmouth will be in the second division and not have to play the top teams.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Burntisland I believe signed a few new players and apart from the Kelty result in the cup last weekend, they are one of the form teams in the league just now.

It was 2-2 at half-time in that game as well.

Edited by Ginaro

Out of interest for the guys closer to the clubs/leagues than me, since there might be an influx of teams into the set up from the juniors is there any chance they might increase the size of the lowland league(16 just now?) and promote more teams from the East of Scotland into it starting next year providing they meet the requirements?

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

40 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Out of interest for the guys closer to the clubs/leagues than me, since there might be an influx of teams into the set up from the juniors is there any chance they might increase the size of the lowland league(16 just now?) and promote more teams from the East of Scotland into it starting next year providing they meet the requirements?

I don't think so due to the tight schedule to get the league finished before the play-offs.   What will probably happen though is that they will go to 2 and eventually 3 relegation/promotion spots.

13 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I don't think so due to the tight schedule to get the league finished before the play-offs.   What will probably happen though is that they will go to 2 and eventually 3 relegation/promotion spots.

Exactly this. Bear in mind there is already the possibility of 2 relegation spots, in the event of the Highland champ overcoming a lowland League 2 side in the playoff final.

Rumours atm strongly suggest an additional promotion slot to the Lowland from next season has already been agreed for the expanding EoS.

30 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

Exactly this. Bear in mind there is already the possibility of 2 relegation spots, in the event of the Highland champ overcoming a lowland League 2 side in the playoff final.

Rumours atm strongly suggest an additional promotion slot to the Lowland from next season has already been agreed for the expanding EoS.

Rumours, rumours... the only way this happens is if the LL clubs vote on it at the agm. So nothing ‘has already been agreed’.

So who all have floodlights in the EoS?   I'm thinking Kelty, LTHV, Tynecastle, Preston, Herriot Watt,  Leith??   plus Hawick RA next season.

Of the reported/rumoured new teams, ourselves and Dalkeith have lights, also Hill of Beath, I don't think anyone else does unless Easthouses are one of those moving.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

With all this talk of new clubs, I had read that they are maybe withdrawing to play Amateur?

Well put it this way, if there isn't any space for Heart or Hibs reserves then there certainly shouldn't be for Stirling Uni!

5 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

With all this talk of new clubs, I had read that they are maybe withdrawing to play Amateur?

It's been rumoured on here but whether there's substance to it... Read elsewhere their Ams (3rds) were moving leagues, certainly - Stirling & District AFL to Caledonian AFL?

Their participation is just a quirk of history. Doubt any reserve teams would be admitted now... indeed Selkirk EOS were rejected a few seasons ago.

When LL was founded Spartans and Stirling Uni didn't resign from EOSL, which they weren't obliged to by any rule. Of course in practice their obligations were taken-on by what were Spartans Juniors and Stirling Uni Ams.

Stirling Uni EOS's position is doubly "unique" as they've their own dedicated ground.

Edited by HibeeJibee

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's been rumoured on here but whether there's substance to it... Read elsewhere their Ams (3rds) were moving leagues, certainly - Stirling & District AFL to Caledonian AFL?

Their participation is just a quirk of history. Doubt any reserve teams would be admitted now... indeed Selkirk EOS were rejected a few seasons ago.

When LL was founded Spartans and Stirling Uni didn't resign from EOSL, which they weren't obliged to by any rule. Of course in practice their obligations were taken-on by what were Spartans Juniors and Stirling Uni Ams.

Stirling Uni EOS's position is doubly "unique" as they've their own dedicated ground.

Though with East Stirlingshire moving to The Falkirk Stadium where will Stirling Uni Lowland League play their games and then the knock on Stirling Uni EoS team.

Edited by Unknown Fan

I personally think at this moment in time given that the EOSFL was almost down and out that it's good to see so many clubs joining and hopefully after another season we will see teams being able to compete with others of similar ability rather than these one sided games which don't do the league or the clubs any favours.  Looking a number of years further down the line though, if it does come about that there will be two or even three promotion spots to the LL we could have a situation where two or three EOSFL are leaving the EOSFL for the LL but clubs are not dropping into the EOSFL because they are Highland, Glasgow area or SOSFL clubs. I think whatever the outcome there will be a stonger EOSFL premier at least and hopefully it all works itself out. 

11 minutes ago, old speckled hen said:

I personally think at this moment in time given that the EOSFL was almost down and out that it's good to see so many clubs joining and hopefully after another season we will see teams being able to compete with others of similar ability rather than these one sided games which don't do the league or the clubs any favours.  Looking a number of years further down the line though, if it does come about that there will be two or even three promotion spots to the LL we could have a situation where two or three EOSFL are leaving the EOSFL for the LL but clubs are not dropping into the EOSFL because they are Highland, Glasgow area or SOSFL clubs. I think whatever the outcome there will be a stonger EOSFL premier at least and hopefully it all works itself out. 

You may find my P&B post (a few minutes ago) on the 'Future of the Juniors', to be interesting. Like your post, it is at least forward thinking....and positive in content.