New clubs in the East of Scotland

This just appeared on the juniors subforum and suggests the two regional divisions thing might be happening:

That’s an interesting development, an Ayrshire team discussing it and specifically saying an EoS West Division. Other than Clydebank and Stirling University I don’t see who else would be in the West Division. Guess if they get the numbers applying it would start as EoS West Division and once established become a WoS league in its own right.

The AGM in June is going to be interesting, I'd find it hard to believe that the EoS would reject any junior club as they have no real history of rejecting clubs and currently have reserve's and not far off amateurs in the league already.

We're all getting a bit carried away thinking there may be 7-10 applications which would be fantastic. There may be some self interest too. I'd think the bottom 4 might accept a demotion to avoid regular hammerings but the likes of Tynecastle and Coldstream will not want to miss out on a big crowd playing Bonnyrigg/Bo'ness/ Clydebank by shoving them in a second division. If the league's are 10-10 then at least there is scope in following years to put new teams in a league suited to their abilities.

On a potential West League if Kilwinning and Clydebank were interested there would be Girvan, Glasgow University and 3-4-5 South teams that would make it not too far off being viable

3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

That’s an interesting development, an Ayrshire team discussing it and specifically saying an EoS West Division. Other than Clydebank and Stirling University I don’t see who else would be in the West Division. Guess if they get the numbers applying it would start as EoS West Division and once established become a WoS league in its own right.

Bonnyton would presumably give real consideration to jumping ship from the South of Scotland, and BSC Glasgow have talked about fielding a second team at Tier 6.

If Hawick drop down at the end of this season having won just one game, how do you judge them? How do you judge Blackburn United?

This is where it becomes tough. I’m more an SPFL man but also a local Junior fan, but a Junior fan who is beyond delighted that clubs from the ERSJFA are looking above the horizon and seeing the EoSFL as a natural home. But if there are a lot of applicants - and I hope there are - then how indeed are they fitted in? My local team, Blackburn United, appear to be a progressive club who are ticking most boxes in relation to ground criteria and off-field structure and who are also progressing playing wise given that they won promotion last season and are competing in the top half of the next league up this season.....but how would they face up against a good EoSFL side? It’s a real difficult judgement call and I hope that all clubs, current and prospective, understand that whatever decision the EoSFA guys have to make it’s a tough one and one that they can only make based on what they believe to be right for all the members of their league at that particular time.

1 minute ago, 12 Angry Men said:

This is where it becomes tough. Im more an SPFL man but also a local Junior fan, but a Junior fan who is beyond delighted that clubs from the ERSJFA are looking above the horizon and seeing the EoSFL as a natural home. But if there are a lot of applicants - and I hope there are - how indeed are they fitted in? My local team, Blackburn United, are a progressive side who are ticking boxes in relation to ground and structure and who are also progressing on the pitch but how would they face up against a good EoSFL side? It’s a real difficult judgement call and I hope all clubs, current and prospective, understand whatever decision the EoSFA guys have to make is a tough one and that they can only make a decision on what they believe to be right for all the members of their league at that particular time

That is why an equal status, split divisional set up, will be needed for 2018/19 only. Then senior, junior and any amateur clubs (Duns return ?) will find their own level, and the EoSL can thrive thereafter.

For me it is only during the last week, that it has sounded realistic that a sizeable number of Junior Clubs will apply to join the EoSL. There are however still 2 weeks to go until the deadline for applications, and those clubs which have not so far decided to move across, may get very jumpy. So could there be a last minute batch of other junior clubs who now decide they need to join in, leading to a stampede of late applications ?

15 hours ago, MDM said:

So the following season we have (for example) Linlithgow Rose, Penicuik Athletic, BoNess United, Newtongrange Star, Camelon, Sauchie all joining the EoSFL - and starting from the bottom division?

And Clydebank.

Been told there are 4 applications already in from Junior clubs, and that there are another 2 or 3 who have intimated they are applying.  Then there's Bonnyrigg.  Will see today if any names are being bandied about.

Have seen a plan which involved a "League Cup" style pre-qualifying groups of 6/7/8 teams in each who would be "seeded" with an equal spread of strong and weak clubs, with the top 3 or 4 in each group forming a top division for the rest of the season, and the remainder forming a second division. Looked a really good idea. 

I don't think two divisions based on geography would provide balance, one could be stronger than the other.

16 minutes ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Been told there are 4 applications already in from Junior clubs, and that there are another 2 or 3 who have intimated they are applying.  Then there's Bonnyrigg.  Will see today if any names are being bandied about.

Have seen a plan which involved a "League Cup" style pre-qualifying groups of 6/7/8 teams in each who would be "seeded" with an equal spread of strong and weak clubs, with the top 3 or 4 in each group forming a top division for the rest of the season, and the remainder forming a second division. Looked a really good idea. 

I don't think two divisions based on geography would provide balance, one could be stronger than the other.

Its nice to see some inventiveness on the part of the EoSFL to try and accomodate as many clubs as possible. For years there has been an argument that the Senior clubs don't want the Juniors in the pyramid, and here they are trying to make it all work.

52 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its nice to see some inventiveness on the part of the EoSFL to try and accomodate as many clubs as possible. For years there has been an argument that the Senior clubs don't want the Juniors in the pyramid, and here they are trying to make it all work.

With 2 weeks to go,  will there be a late rush of other (wavering/uncertain) East clubs submitting applications to the EoSL ? 

When will the SJFA publish the results of its pyramid ballot ? Surely  junior club supporters need to know the outcome for their club, and overall ?

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

With 2 weeks to go,  will there be a late rush of other (wavering/uncertain) East clubs submitting applications to the EoSL ? 

When will the SJFA publish the results of its pyramid ballot ? Surely  junior club supporters need to know the outcome for their club, and overall ?

March 21st & 25th has the Clydebank & Bonnyrigg meetings (can't remember which date is which). Kilwinning Rangers also has the EoSFL West Region as an agenda topic for a meeting that I think falls before the March 31st deadline. With their public profiles it could force several other clubs to put in an application.

The league structure isn't likely to be officially signed off until the June AGM. That gives the SJFA time to make some moves to prevent mass defections, but it seems more likely that time could see a WoSFL formed.

Have spent a few hours scouring the junior forums. Made a list of teams that are mentioned to have seemed to have shown an interest in moving to the pyramid. I have no idea how reliable this is as I am basically summarising the junior forums, not an exact science :P. Also there is likely varying levels of interest from Dalkeith who have publicly announced their application to other clubs that may just have had board discussions. 

Potential New Teams
- Dalkeith Thistle
- Clydebank
- Hill of Beath
- Edinburgh United 
- Kilwinning Rangers
- Blackburn United
- Camelon
- Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
- Haddington Athletic
- Bo’ness United

Edited by Rooster20

With the EOS looking at potentially running two regionally split leagues would I be right in saying that top half finishes, in each respective regional split, would result in teams playing EOS 1 and bottom half teams would end up in an EOS 2, a tier below, for the following season. New applicants would slot in to EOS 2, with perhaps an extra promotion slot to help bulk out an EOS 1.

Does anyone know where this boundary for the regional split might be drawn?

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Does anyone know where this boundary for the regional split might be drawn?

Too early for a boundary to be drawn as there are too many unknowns. Things might not even be split regionally. Its been suggested above that there could be some sort of pre-season qualifying group stage to determine the strengths of the teams. Best in the groups make the top tier, the worst making the bottom tier.

6 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

Have spent a few hours scouring the junior forums. Made a list of teams that are mentioned to have seemed to have shown an interest in moving to the pyramid. I have no idea how reliable this is as I am basically summarising the junior forums, not an exact science :P. Also there is likely varying levels of interest from Dalkeith who have publicly announced their application to other clubs that may just have had board discussions. 

Potential New Teams
- Dalkeith Thistle
- Clydebank
- Hill of Beath
- Edinburgh United 
- Kilwinning Rangers
- Blackburn United
- Camelon
- Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
- Haddington Athletic
- Bo’ness United

- Dalkeith Thistle, Musselburgh Athletic, Dunbar United, Haddington Athletic, Edinburgh United, Blackburn United, Camelon from what I was hearing yesterday. Might not be 100% accurate.

Add in Bonnyrigg if they vote that way and maybe Clydebank but unlikely.