New clubs in the East of Scotland

Agree, regional split should wait until you have enough teams for a full EoS division at tier 6 and two regions at tier 7, otherwise you're just replicating the current situation with uncompetitive games.

Though you wonder what would happen for 2019/20 if more top Junior teams apply - would they be allowed straight into EoS division 1, given the disparity in recent Junior v EoS results?

Edit: looking at tonight's Lowland League result - Vale of Leithen have dropped to 15th in the table, so if Cove Rangers get promoted to League 2 then EoS will have both Hawick and possibly Vale of Leithen in the league next season.

Hawick and Vale would go into South of Scotland would they not, rather then East of Scotland? Like Threave did?

Agree, regional split should wait until you have enough teams for a full EoS division at tier 6 and two regions at tier 7, otherwise you're just replicating the current situation with uncompetitive games.
Though you wonder what would happen for 2019/20 if more top Junior teams apply - would they be allowed straight into EoS division 1, given the disparity in recent Junior v EoS results?
Edit: looking at tonight's Lowland League result - Vale of Leithen have dropped to 15th in the table, so if Cove Rangers get promoted to League 2 then EoS will have both Hawick and possibly Vale of Leithen in the league next season.

I wonder if there were a mass move of clubs, say a league of >20ish you'd maybe have a transitional season: playoff groups or a single round or that random 8/8/8 the SPFL was planning; then split the next season based on results. Not perfect, but would be a reasonable quick way of creating somewhat even divisions.

Would have thought the way to do it would be to have two geographical divisions and a playoff to determine the overall champion during the first season after a massive influx. League positionings for the following season could then be determined by who finishes in the top half and bottom half of each division. Still somewhat skeptical that this will be a problem though. Last season the rumour was three superleague clubs but it wound up being one.

Would have thought the way to do it would be to have two geographical divisions and a playoff to determine the overall champion during the first season after a massive influx. League positionings for the following season could then be determined by who finishes in the top half and bottom half of each division. Still somewhat skeptical that this will be a problem though. Last season the rumour was three superleague clubs but it wound up being one.

Aye, that's the kind of thing I meant.

15 hours ago, gogsy said:

Depending on the teams applying they could make the leagues regional.

If say 7 junior clubs apply, giving a total of 18 clubs, one solution for 2018/19 ONLY, would be  split into two sections  (possibly seeded based on performance this season) for the first part of next season, each section playing each other twice (=14 games), and for the second part of next season, the 9 teams with the most points would play each other once (8 matches), and ditto for the 9 teams with the least points. This would give  each club a total of   14 + 8 = 22 games. The overall league position would be determined by the aggregate points, to determine which clubs would be in the top tier in the following (2019/20). with the remainder in a 2nd division. The EoSL would then decide the optimum number of clubs it wants for the following seasons (eg if 14 per division), and invite applications to fill the extra places, as necessary.  

Alternatively, again using 18 clubs as a example, the EoSL could  have a second stage process  in early May this year, seeking further invitations as additional  junior clubs might decide to submit late applications. In this scenario, 2 divisions with equal status, would be established for one season ONLY, with the winners of each holding playoff to decide which is the EoSL champion club. The clubs finishing in the top half of each division, would form the top tier for 2019/20, and the bottom half forming the bottom half.

Existing senior, and ex junior clubs would then be treated equally in both scenarios, which may be a stimula for late junior applicants for 2018/19 .

Wouldn’t 7 new clubs bring the members up to 20, 21 if Vale go down too. Either way, exciting times ahead over next few weeks. 
Threave could also stop Kelty in the play offs making it 22!

I'm a bit surprised by Edinburgh united being rumoured to apply, I think they had been marketed as Edinburgh's junior club. I'd imagine they are a good bit away from licencing standard but have a reasonable youth set up. maybe see themselves as more akin to Leith and Tynecastle then traditional junior teams

Broxburn could be a good shout for moving as a team proud of their senior history and a ground that ticks all the boxes. I think there was talk of Edinburgh City moving there so could be the ground already has been approved

25 minutes ago, calmac25 said:

I'm a bit surprised by Edinburgh united being rumoured to apply, I think they had been marketed as Edinburgh's junior club. I'd imagine they are a good bit away from licencing standard but have a reasonable youth set up. maybe see themselves as more akin to Leith and Tynecastle then traditional junior teams

Broxburn could be a good shout for moving as a team proud of their senior history and a ground that ticks all the boxes. I think there was talk of Edinburgh City moving there so could be the ground already has been approved

Actually went to see Edinburgh Utd last season for only the second ever time.  Bit surprised they considering the move.

Threave could theoretically beat Kelty/Lothian and I appreciate Threave put Kelty out a cup earlier in season, but in a game of this magnitude, I can’t see anything other than the EOS champion winning by at least 5 goals on aggregate.

Edinburgh city moving to west lothian? That would be a very interesting turn of events!!

38 minutes ago, calmac25 said:

Broxburn Athletic don't have any Senior history, they were formed in 1950 as a Junior club.  The town has a Senior history which died out in the 1930's, a bit like Armadale and Bathgate.

Broxburn Athletic don't have any Senior history, they were formed in 1950 as a Junior club.  The town has a Senior history which died out in the 1930's, a bit like Armadale and Bathgate.
They've got the history of the town's football team(s) up on the wall at their ground. I didn't memorise it all but looks like they were proud of it. I think they are a decent shout for being interested in a move but of course I could be wrong

I think they're settled in at Ainslie Park until Meadowbank redevelopment happening.

They expressed some significant concerns over meadowbank redevelopment As it stands their return looks unlikely.

Ainslie park would be a more explainable long term home for them if they can't get their own place.

I was more making point given they have a significant number of ex meadowbank thistle fans the suggestion that they would follow them and move out of Edinburgh would be quite incredible.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

They expressed some significant concerns over meadowbank redevelopment As it stands their return looks unlikely.

Ainslie park would be a more explainable long term home for them if they can't get their own place.

I was more making point given they have a significant number of ex meadowbank thistle fans the suggestion that they would follow them and move out of Edinburgh would be quite incredible.

What are the concerns with Meadowbank?

Broxburn is only a few miles from Livingston, they could just go the whole hog and return to their roots :lol:

10 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

A @tamthebam meltdown would be glorious though 

I doubt I would melt down. We wouldn't be getting moved as a horrible fat b*****d's plaything unlike Meadowbank Thistle. 

Now... how much are Whitehill season tickets these days....?! :lol:

What are the concerns with Meadowbank?

Broxburn is only a few miles from Livingston, they could just go the whole hog and return to their roots :lol:

They released a statement a while back, basically it seems current plans may involve a small stand which would cover their needs, however all other licensing requirements have been completely ignored making it difficult for them to function in the rebuilt stadium.

Eta link

http://www.edinburghcityfc.com/2018/02/14/club-statement-meadowbank-stadium-redevelopment/