New clubs in the East of Scotland

31 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Good luck Dalkeith,  another welcome addition and hopefully the whole setup runs like Keltys infrastructure, can't believe they have managed to get the whole community together under one roof instead of about 10 different youth , amateur and Sunday league teams all raking around for cash the changes and Buzz in the community has been amazing and seeing kids n parents walking around the village in their Kelty tops instead o rangers n celtic is a sight to behold 

There is always the slight trepidation of crowds and interest reducing as we moved from the norm and games against rival SJFA clubs which in turn could have hurt us. We were always confident though after heavy research that our move would help sustain the club and help the community unite and flourish.

That is exactly what has happened, home crowds are up, away crowds are up, the hopes, the dreams, the glass ceiling removed has really caught everyone’s interest and with everyone in the village on board, kids adults, male, female it creates a really strong machine going forward. Record Season Ticket, Kit, Merchandise, Hospitality  sales this season aswell as the Social Club being busier than ever, It’s really humbling too in the past month we have a new Community Club in house with a complete pathway to senior football from 4 years old, we also have a senior ladies team now which is a real positive in a growing market.

Not bragging here but just explaining how being pro active and doing research can take a Club to the next level in terms of support from the community wether that’s through gates, sponsrship, using the facilities, using the social club. All key areas that helps grow a Football and Community Club.

Edited by kefc

6 hours ago, edinabear said:

I wonder what will happen if say 5-6 clubs now apply. How will the league decide? It could be a bit of a scramble for the last few places or clubs may now be looking at starting in Tier 7 which for the bigger junior sides would be a bit of a disaster

You would think that's why Dalkeith have gone public already,  Kelty joining was kept quiet up until June.

It would be interesting if that was the case that the EOS league could take the option of running 2 parallel leagues.  

One serving the South East (Tweedmouth, Coldstream...) and the other the North West (Burntisland, Stirling EOS, Clydebank (if so ) ...).  With the split somewhere between the Edinburgh Clubs.

It wouldn't deter more Juniors from the East from joining and would increase the chances of Juniors from the West making the move.

Really it would be creating a WoS Tier 6 league though gradually and as teams move across.  

In time you would think a WoS league would be created anyway and/or the SFA and Lowland league give more weighting to the parallel EoS Tier 6 leagues than the South of Scotland.

Would also lead to the capacity increasing to 32 plus teams before any Tier 7 league would have to be considered, the EoS stands at 13 teams at the moment for the 17/18 season. 

By that stage you would think that that would be more likely in the East  (Tweedmouth, Eyemouth, Coldsteam) and by then any other strong clubs you expect that could be joining would be from the West. 

It seems the simplest and most pragmatic way of dealing with the void of a WoS Tier 6 league at the moment.  The biggest missing piece in the pyramid jigsaw.   

Edited by Unknown Fan

You would think that's why Dalkeith have gone public already,  Kelty joining was kept quiet up until June.
It would be interesting if that was the case that the EOS league could take the option of running 2 parallel leagues.  
One serving the South East (Tweedmouth, Coldstream...) and the other the North West (Burntisland, Stirling EOS, Clydebank (if so ) ...).  With the split somewhere between the Edinburgh Clubs.
It wouldn't deter more Juniors from the East from joining and would increase the chances of Juniors from the West making the move.
Really it would be creating a WoS Tier 6 league though gradually and as teams move across.  
In time you would think a WoS league would be created anyway and/or the SFA and Lowland league give more weighting to the parallel EoS Tier 6 leagues than the South of Scotland.
Would also lead to the capacity increasing to 32 plus teams before any Tier 7 league would have to be considered, the EoS stands at 13 teams at the moment for the 17/18 season. 
By that stage you would think that that would be more likely in the East  (Tweedmouth, Eyemouth, Coldsteam) and by then any other strong clubs you expect that could be joining would be from the West. 
It seems the simplest and most pragmatic way of dealing with the void of a WoS Tier 6 league at the moment.  The biggest missing piece in the pyramid jigsaw.   
If love to see a West senior league come in at Tier 6, but it would need serious uptake from at least some of the top junior clubs to be taken seriously in any way. I'm pretty sure it will happen eventually, but don't see it any time soon.

In my opinion, the best solution would be to allow junior clubs to get licensed if they want to, and have a 4 way playoff between EoS, SoS, East and West Junior winners (if licensed) for 'LL promotion spots. It's not perfect but would seem like a reasonable stepping stone to full integration. Still don't see it happening any time in the next few years mind

We didn’t announce it sooner as we were going for a title, we felt any announcement wouldn’t have been positive at that time so waited until it was won and we were rubber stamped as accepted.

The current numbers of the EOS for next season is at 14 including Dalkeith subject to being admitted, IF Clydebank and another say 10 Clubs were to apply for next season mostly from the West then as Unknown Fan says it could be 2 divisions of 12 running parallel, 1 more East based and the 2nd West.

This could be the best way of achieving a more West region Tier 6. Again as UF states It would also leave more spaces for East clubs to apply.

Ambitious Clubs could move across, could get SFA licensed in time, play against teams from region, there’s also various avenues for Scottish Cup Entry even if the licence isn’t approved, u20 League, Fixture List, part of pyramid etc.

3 Leagues running at tier 6 including SOS League.

EOS LEAGUE - Kelty Hearts, LTHV, Leith, Herriot Watt, Peebles, Tynecastle, Coldstream, Ormiston, Eyemouth, Burntisland, Tweedmouth, Dalkeith - 12 teams which has room to go to 16.

WOS LEAGUE (made up from splitting EOS and incorporating new applicants) Stirling Uni EOS, Clydebank, Bonnyton Thistle, then anywhere between 9 and 13 new applicants from Central or West Of Scotland to make up 12-16 team league.

If clubs were to apply for the end of March cut off then you would think this would be a likely scenario for next season obviously depending on applicants.

Edited by kefc

Also needs to be consideration of Junior clubs in Fife/Tayside joining EoS if you end up having east, west and south at tier 6. Won't be enough teams support a north/south split in the EoS to begin with, but teams from north of Edinburgh are more likely to want to join if they don't have to travel to the borders.

Next season you'll have 9 + Dalkeith + Hawick (probably) from the Edinburgh/Borders region, add a few more Lothian Juniors and that's a league by itself.

On 10/01/2018 at 10:14, kefc said:

I heard a 3rd club are looking into applying although I’m not sure what stage they are at.

Possibly Bo'Ness who announced a year ago that they were looking to join the EoSL, albeit with a 'proviso' that they weren't ready for 2017/18.

Does anyone know if they have made any progress towards SFA licencing  ?

Not sure if an 18 club EoSL for 2018/19 is practical given the total number of extra fixtures required. Perhaps the EoSL should canvass interest for a return to 2 divisions (x 10 or 12 clubs) for 2019/20 ?

Well done Dalkeith !!!

15 hours ago, kefc said:

We didn’t announce it sooner as we were going for a title, we felt any announcement wouldn’t have been positive at that time so waited until it was won and we were rubber stamped as accepted.

The current numbers of the EOS for next season is at 14 including Dalkeith subject to being admitted, IF Clydebank and another say 10 Clubs were to apply for next season mostly from the West then as Unknown Fan says it could be 2 divisions of 12 running parallel, 1 more East based and the 2nd West.

This could be the best way of achieving a more West region Tier 6. Again as UF states It would also leave more spaces for East clubs to apply.

Ambitious Clubs could move across, could get SFA licensed in time, play against teams from region, there’s also various avenues for Scottish Cup Entry even if the licence isn’t approved, u20 League, Fixture List, part of pyramid etc.

3 Leagues running at tier 6 including SOS League.

EOS LEAGUE - Kelty Hearts, LTHV, Leith, Herriot Watt, Peebles, Tynecastle, Coldstream, Ormiston, Eyemouth, Burntisland, Tweedmouth, Dalkeith - 12 teams which has room to go to 16.

WOS LEAGUE (made up from splitting EOS and incorporating new applicants) Stirling Uni EOS, Clydebank, Bonnyton Thistle, then anywhere between 9 and 13 new applicants from Central or West Of Scotland to make up 12-16 team league.

If clubs were to apply for the end of March cut off then you would think this would be a likely scenario for next season obviously depending on applicants.

If there is to be a West feeder parallel to the EoSL, current SFA Member clubs Glasgow University and Girvan would probably be founder members.

On 10/01/2018 at 15:27, newcastle broon said:

Ahem cough cough!!! 

Well pointed out sir,  Whitehill Welfare are indeed Midlothian s only senior club at present. 

Would be great to have some local competition :)

Beat me to it :lol:

5 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

The EoS have had Dalbeattie,Gretna,Annan and Threave before and EKFC are EoS members!

Surely Clydebank would join the SoSL not the EoSL, both for geographical reasons, and as it would give them a quicker (one season?) route through the pyramid to the LL ? This is what Edusport Academy did.  

Surely Clydebank would join the SoSL not the EoSL, both for geographical reasons, and as it would give them a quicker (one season?) route through the pyramid to the LL ? This is what Edusport Academy did.  

Would they still not have to beat the top EOSL team to get into the LL though in a play off? Also having driven to the borders for sosl and eosl games in Edinburgh etc (groundhopper) its quicker going from Glasgow to Edinburgh than Dumfries! Depends what the leagues decide i guess, think that Clydebank would be a good addition to that league.

26 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

The EoS have had Dalbeattie,Gretna,Annan and Threave before and EKFC are EoS members!

Yeah I get that, although EK are just EOSFA members, and Dalbeattie found the travelling too much in the EOS.

I just mean if you were the secretary of Coldstream or Ormiston or Preston or Peebles, would you vote to travel to Clydebank for a fixture? No doubt Bankies would enhance the league, but self interest has dominated football since the year dot.

22 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Would they still not have to beat the top EOSL team to get into the LL though in a play off? Also having driven to the borders for sosl and eosl games in Edinburgh etc (groundhopper) its quicker going from Glasgow to Edinburgh than Dumfries! Depends what the leagues decide i guess, think that Clydebank would be a good addition to that league.

I think somebody on the Junior threads did the sums and Clydebank would have less mileage in the EOS than the SOS.

I think somebody on the Junior threads did the sums and Clydebank would have less mileage in the EOS than the SOS.

Ah tbh i dont read those threads, I tend to stick to here and the 2/3rd division ones!haha. Would I not be right in saying they have a decent enough travelling support which would surely offset a cost to peebles et al?
I still think 2 down from the LL and 2 spots from south, east and west play off is the way to go if a west league starts. Its also surely time two come down from the sfl2?

5 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Yeah I get that, although EK are just EOSFA members, and Dalbeattie found the travelling too much in the EOS.

I just mean if you were the secretary of Coldstream or Ormiston or Preston or Peebles, would you vote to travel to Clydebank for a fixture? No doubt Bankies would enhance the league, but self interest has dominated football since the year dot.

Those clubs might vote against, but you could just as easily say the same about the majority of those in the SoSFL. When East Kilbride FC was accepted in to the SoSFL they weren't going to play in any of the cup competitions, Edusport moved their home games to Annan. With more than half the trips in the EoSFL being within the Lothian area, rather than the Borders, there would be more than enough votes to get a club like Clydebank in.

It would also make it more attractive to Clydebank in terms of travel for both the fans and team, as well as player recruitment. There's bound to be more players to pick up between Glasgow & Edinburgh, than Glasgow & Dumfries.

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ah tbh i dont read those threads, I tend to stick to here and the 2/3rd division ones!haha. Would I not be right in saying they have a decent enough travelling support which would surely offset a cost to peebles et al?
I still think 2 down from the LL and 2 spots from south, east and west play off is the way to go if a west league starts. Its also surely time two come down from the sfl2?

From what I know about Clydebank I don’t think the cost of travel would put them off at all. As for the other clubs, I hae ma doots:lol:

Also, I’ve said this hundreds of times, the SPFL negotiates with the LL and HL. At present there is 1/2 of a promotion place available because the SPFL has a much stronger bargaining position than the two feeders. You need Cowden, Clyde, Berwick etc to come down before you get your wish. 

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Those clubs might vote against, but you could just as easily say the same about the majority of those in the SoSFL.

So Clydebank could easily be rejected by both leagues.

17 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

When East Kilbride FC was accepted in to the SoSFL they weren't going to play in any of the cup competitions, Edusport moved their home games to Annan. With more than half the trips in the EoSFL being within the Lothian area, rather than the Borders, there would be more than enough votes to get a club like Clydebank in.

I just feel EK was on the right side of Glasgow whereas Clydebank isn’t.  You may well be right, although I’m old enough to remember Ferranti Thistle being voted in ahead of Inverness Thistle, such is the way small clubs vote. And they don’t actually have to choose anybody at all, although Dalkeith must be a certainty. We’ll see anyway.