New clubs in the East of Scotland

All ifs and buts just now, but encouraging signs for the EOS. I personally never thought it would revive after the exodus of clubs to the LL, it really looked to be on the bones of its arse. Well done to Kelty for making the switch and to other juniors who are at the very least thinking about the switch. 

46 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

All ifs and buts just now, but encouraging signs for the EOS. I personally never thought it would revive after the exodus of clubs to the LL, it really looked to be on the bones of its arse. Well done to Kelty for making the switch and to other juniors who are at the very least thinking about the switch. 

I think what's saved it is clubs wanting to be Licenced, and the SFA insisting they move.  There's no reason in 5 years time that we'll effectively have the Juniors and EoS "merged" simply by everyone dumping the Juniors.

If a second Junior club join Dalkeith this season from the East, it's going to be interesting.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I think what's saved it is clubs wanting to be Licenced, and the SFA insisting they move.  There's no reason in 5 years time that we'll effectively have the Juniors and EoS "merged" simply by everyone dumping the Juniors.

If a second Junior club join Dalkeith this season from the East, it's going to be interesting.

Yip it wasn't that long ago this league was deed and heading junior Burnie_man :thumsup2

Defo exciting times ahead :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Yip it wasn't that long ago this league was deed and heading junior Burnie_man :thumsup2

Defo exciting times ahead :rolleyes:

It was, Easthouses and Craigroyston coming over with others looking at it, and Duns folding. Looked bleak.  

If you could have got a Licence whilst remaining Junior that would probably have sealed it's fate.   The tide has turned though and we'll probably have full integration at some point down the line, it's almost inevitable.

Although things got into a grim place members-wise, bottoming-out at 11 last season, there was still an inherent strength left in 1) having access to LL and licensing; plus 2) being well-run and supportive of clubs, including through a number of new schemes and initiatives EOSL introduced after LL started.

Going by the "prospectus" that appeared on the EOSL website this time last year the membership benefits include: the league paying for coaching, goalkeeping and firstaid courses; providing all clubs with defibrillators, firstaid bags and equipment; buying clubs' match balls and training balls; paying clubs' insurance; and reimbursing travel costs when an away game is postponed. It is less often mentioned but the Friday night Under 20 league run in conjunction with LL must be a big positive: players are all on senior form making it easy to sit on the bench etc. for the first-team the next day, and all clubs (SFA members or not) play in the Scottish Youth Cup.

According to my local paper there is also prizemoney for the top 4 places - the top pot being worth £1,500 - plus from this season each club can apply for £3,000 to spend on ground upgrades. There are also 2 ways into the Scottish Cup - by winning the EOSL or by winning the Alex Jack Cup and new Cup-Winners' Shield. This latter route has seen Tynecastle qualify for the Scottish Cup for the first time and others like LTHV, Leith and Stirling Uni have qualified in previous seasons.

Clubs ready for licensing have to join. Clubs working towards licensing have good reason to join: they will have to do it eventually and coaching badges, medical provision and insurance cover are part of the criteria and any help with ground upgrades must be welcome. Even if a club isn't on that trajectory there will be benefits from good organisation, financial help and a shot at the Scottish Cup slots.

I don't think many similar benefits are provided in the Juniors. Indeed games still aren't played by artificial light and there isn't even a fixturelist. EOSL clubs have their games to the middle of April; East Junior clubs have theirs only to a week on Saturday.

So while there were obviously reasons for leaving - which Craigroyston and Easthouses did - there were also reasons for staying, and joining - which Kelty did and now maybe others.

Also worth recalling that more clubs could be relegated from LL than promoted from EOSL, btw.

Edited by HibeeJibee

22 hours ago, kefc said:

You could effectively have Dalkeith as the main attraction in the region if they can get to the LL with the guaranteed Scottish Cup (subject to licence) and extra finances over Junior clubs to upgrade facilities and compete for the better players.

Ahem cough cough!!! 

6 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

It's 3.5 miles as the crow flies from Dalkeith's park to Whitehill Welfare, they're hardly breaking new ground!

Well pointed out sir,  Whitehill Welfare are indeed Midlothian s only senior club at present. 

Would be great to have some local competition :)

45 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Going by the "prospectus" that appeared on the EOSL website this time last year the membership benefits include:

Does this appear on the EoSFL website?  I'm sure more than a few would be curious as to what is on offer, beyond the obvious.

5 hours ago, edinabear said:

If Clydebank are serious about joining the Pyramid I would have thought they would have been a prominent voice in setting up the West of Scotland League. Although, perhaps they view the East of Scotland as an easier pathway

It's certainly easier to join an existing league that is part of the pyramid, than to try and corral another 9+ clubs into forming a new league.

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Ahem cough cough!!! 

Well pointed out sir,  Whitehill Welfare are indeed Midlothian s only senior club at present. 

Would be great to have some local competition :)

Change that to 1 of the main attractions in that area, no offence to Whitehill :)

28 minutes ago, info said:

If that is so it is a pity. A West (Glasgow -Ayrshire League) certainly makes sense but then when did common sense come into it!

Another West of Scotland club within the pyramid system increases the chances of a WoSFL or LLW in the long term. For either to happen it needs more interested parties than common sense.

Official announcement by Dalkeith Thistle which confirms their intention to relocate from the East Region SJFA to the East of Scotland League for next season:

http://www.dalkeiththistle.co.uk/news/club-announcement-east-of-scotland-league-2145411.html

Exciting future for Dalkeith Thistle

The club can confirm that an application has been made to join the East of Scotland League for Season 2018/19, with an SFA Club Licence application to follow soon.

This is not a decision we have taken lightly, however we feel it is a progressive move which will ultimately allow us to compete in the Scottish Cup competition and provide access to the football league pyramid currently in place, if our applications are successful.

Chairman Barclay Ewing said: “To compete in the EoS and potentially earn the right to play in the Lowland League is a really attractive move for us.

“To enter the pyramid and have so many opportunities to progress as a club is exciting. We have players at the club with EoS experience and they are equally as ambitious about taking our first steps in another association and playing at that level again. “

Manager Kevin Haynes says he is fully behind the move and excited about the club’s future.
Haynes said: “Personally I’ve loved playing, coaching and now managing in the Juniors, but I do feel that we can go further in another structure.

“From a playing perspective, it will allow us to give the kids in the Community Club’s youth pathway an opportunity to play in the Development League and play at a good level within their own local club.”

This is an opportunity for the people of Dalkeith to get behind its local football club, and we will be advertising for new volunteer positions and committee posts in due course to help us drive Dalkeith Thistle forward together.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Great news, Big Kev fully behind the move, welcome aboard :thumsup2 I have to say I was dead against these juniors competing in the Big Scottish, but have to say it seems like it’s been a good move to let them in and will be be paramount in others making the switch 

43 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Official announcement by Dalkeith Thistle which confirms their intention to relocate from the East Region SJFA to the East of Scotland League for next season:

http://www.dalkeiththistle.co.uk/news/club-announcement-east-of-scotland-league-2145411.html

Heard about this via twitter tonight. 

Great news for the EOS and even better for the pyramid at large. Here’s hoping a few others make the leap too.

On 07/01/2018 at 11:48, newcastle broon said:

Dalkeith Thistle could be  joining next season according to the rumours on the Juniors forum??? 

tweeted tonight that they are. 

Good luck to them for being bold and jumping before bigger clubs might. 

Great news, Big Kev fully behind the move, welcome aboard :thumsup2 I have to say I was dead against these juniors competing in the Big Scottish, but have to say it seems like it’s been a good move to let them in and will be be paramount in others making the switch 

You didn’t have to say that at all you horrible auld willy!

Times they are a changin’ though! Bo’ness to follow ASAP hopefully!

Just now, 8MileBU said:

You didn’t have to say that at all you horrible auld willy!

Times they are a changin’ though! Bo’ness to follow ASAP hopefully!

You’ll be made more than welcome, I’m sure the Bo’ness supporters can’t be as bad as these Kelty fuckers :whistle

Good luck Dalkeith,  another welcome addition and hopefully the whole setup runs like Keltys infrastructure, can't believe they have managed to get the whole community together under one roof instead of about 10 different youth , amateur and Sunday league teams all raking around for cash the changes and Buzz in the community has been amazing and seeing kids n parents walking around the village in their Kelty tops instead o rangers n celtic is a sight to behold