Referees

das scooter boy

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 23:16, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Well said, that man.

I always found I was just about breaking even, but at least it got me out on a Saturday afternoon, enjoying a game of footy and away from the wife and the shops.

How do you only break even, i know a few refs that do games in glasgow and surrounding districts every sunday, they get 3 games every sunday between 3 different leagues, theres no way they spend 120 quid every sunday on costs, no where close to it

I also know of a ref who took 5 games on a sunday as he was going on holiday and needed his spending money topped up, 200 sheets for leaving his house at 9.30am, getting home at 8.30pm and spending most of his day at either toryglen or Glasgow green, fucking cushty earner

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most leagues ive seen dont have refs arrive half an hour and a lot certainly don't drive for half an hour to a game either, and they shouldn't be paid for travelling time, my work doesnt pay me for my journey there and back, not many jobs will nowadays, refs are no different 

They aren't paid at all! You are missing the point entirely!

7 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

How do you only break even, i know a few refs that do games in glasgow and surrounding districts every sunday, they get 3 games every sunday between 3 different leagues, theres no way they spend 120 quid every sunday on costs, no where close to it

I also know of a ref who took 5 games on a sunday as he was going on holiday and needed his spending money topped up, 200 sheets for leaving his house at 9.30am, getting home at 8.30pm and spending most of his day at either toryglen or Glasgow green, fucking cushty earner

If it's a Wee cushty earner. Why not do it. They are screaming out for them in some leagues.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Any money a referee receives are an expense, not payment for their services.

So on a technicality your basically saying refs aren't paid butdoing the job voluntarily for their love of the game pretty much ? What absolute nonsense that is.

These are referees that are only in it for money and not the love of the game.

No way they can possibly keep up with play to make the right decision this is why referees get a bad name. Also why all coaching staff from each team get upset with referees because not making the right decisions.

2 minutes ago, sn308 said:

No way they can possibly keep up with play to make the right decision this is why referees get a bad name. Also why all coaching staff from each team get upset with referees because not making the right decisions.

Agree to an extent although there is a lot of side lines who do nothing but hassle and try to intimidate officials. Seen some right embarrassing side lines in my time.

So on a technicality your basically saying refs aren't paid butdoing the job voluntarily for their love of the game pretty much ? What absolute nonsense that is.

At no point did I say they were doing it for the love of the game. What I'm saying is that the misconception about it being a well paid cushy number is wide of the mark

7 minutes ago, sn308 said:

What is a right decision though?  Two opposing managers will have different views of the same incident 90% of the time.

Let's get this straight - most coaches get upset at referees for the slightest decision that goes against their team.  Most of them are so blinkered and biased in their assessment of a challenge or match incident that unless a referee gives 100% of the decisions to their team, they will complain about anything and everything, whether it is justified or not.

Football is an emotional sport with a lot of frustration attached - frustration that gets taken out on the referee normally as they are the one aspect of the match that can't be controlled from the side-lines.

33 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

At no point did I say they were doing it for the love of the game. What I'm saying is that the misconception about it being a well paid cushy number is wide of the mark

okay then, its a well claimed expenses custhy number, who else do you know that gets 40 quid "expenses" to travel less than half an hour (sometimes no travelling at all, sit in the refs changing room and wait for their next game), do the thing they are paid "expenses" for for 90 mins, then possible drive less than half an hour again, all for 40 quid per 90mins

36 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

Agree to an extent although there is a lot of side lines who do nothing but hassle and try to intimidate officials. Seen some right embarrassing side lines in my time.

The game is fcuked and sidelines have a big part in the game fcuked. I watched a game last week and 15 mins into the game the defender passed the ball back to his keeper. The keeper goes to kick it and miss kicks it. The attacker runs in and scores. All the keepers team mates shouts to the keeper unlucky,head up. Ten mins later the ref gives a decision against the team. All you heard is you useless bastar@. How the fcuk you refereeing  you haven't got a clue. A disgrace. It's mostly players who can't play but think the can is the worst at refs

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

The game is fcuked and sidelines have a big part in the game fcuked. I watched a game last week and 15 mins into the game the defender passed the ball back to his keeper. The keeper goes to kick it and miss kicks it. The attacker runs in and scores. All the keepers team mates shouts to the keeper unlucky,head up. Ten mins later the ref gives a decision against the team. All you heard is you useless bastar@. How the fcuk you refereeing  you haven't got a clue. A disgrace. It's mostly players who can't play but think the can is the worst at refs

i agree, there is however a fine line regarding refs and i see too many that cross that line when it comes to attempting to keep up with play and attitude towards players and general knowledge about the rules

there's a thread a while back regarding a ref in the hillview vs castlemilk dynamo game who didnt know the rules regarding a penalty situation and players entering the box, that ref got it wrong, badly wrong (he essentially made up a rule) affected the game at a crucial point, yet he is most likely still getting games, still getting his 40 quid "expenses" meanwhile they guys he screwed over, who paid money to travel and participate in the games are left with no way to fix the situation

at the lower levels refs are too well protected due to their shortage, they can make horrible decisionsm have poor physical performances and not suffer any consequences, lower level players know this as well, hence why the verbals go further, the ref maybe right or maybe wrong, but if a players feels the ref has cocked up, and knows he's likely gonna be doing it again the following week, it can get really frustrating

29 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

i agree, there is however a fine line regarding refs and i see too many that cross that line when it comes to attempting to keep up with play and attitude towards players and general knowledge about the rules

there's a thread a while back regarding a ref in the hillview vs castlemilk dynamo game who didnt know the rules regarding a penalty situation and players entering the box, that ref got it wrong, badly wrong (he essentially made up a rule) affected the game at a crucial point, yet he is most likely still getting games, still getting his 40 quid "expenses" meanwhile they guys he screwed over, who paid money to travel and participate in the games are left with no way to fix the situation

at the lower levels refs are too well protected due to their shortage, they can make horrible decisionsm have poor physical performances and not suffer any consequences, lower level players know this as well, hence why the verbals go further, the ref maybe right or maybe wrong, but if a players feels the ref has cocked up, and knows he's likely gonna be doing it again the following week, it can get really frustrating

I agree with a lot your saying but remember that goalkeeper cost his team 3 pets and he got a game the following week.no matter if it's bad decision from the ref or not he is not going to change his mind.I know there is lots out there not putting the effort in but hey theres nothing we can do about it.

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

As far as I am aware football is the only sport that pays referees/umpire/officials etc at grass root levels - why?

Because it's the only sport that spectators, players, coaches and managers think it's acceptable at to scream abuse towards the referee for 90 minutes.  You wouldn't get anyone doing it for free.

People don't behave like that at other grass roots sporting events. 

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

It's decent money tax free for a few hours work , it is relatively well paid but wouldn't say it's a cushy number in the slightest.

35 minutes ago, energyzone said:
1 hour ago, Northboy said:

As far as I am aware football is the only sport that pays referees/umpire/officials etc at grass root levels - why?

Because it's the only sport that spectators, players, coaches and managers think it's acceptable at to scream abuse towards the referee for 90 minutes.  You wouldn't get anyone doing it for free.

People don't behave like that at other grass roots sporting events. 

I agree. Some years ago faced with a shortage of referees someone came up with the idea of offering payment. If this is the only way we can attract referees then that's a sad indictment on football.  I won't criticise anyone for taking £40 a match when most of us don't have the balls to even give it a go.

49 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

It's decent money tax free for a few hours work , it is relatively well paid but wouldn't say it's a cushy number in the slightest.

if you have thick skin then it is, most lower level refs will not be held accountable for shite performances, they can show up when they like, perform how they like and not give a f**k and still get games the following weekend, hell they dont need to be fit anymore at lower levels

Archived