French Presidential Election

Arabdownunder

"Who cares?" I hear you say. "Its about as much interest to me as who will be the next Dundee manager". The candidates in both races are equally uninspiring. But consider this; if the shouty bigot wins (Marine LePen, not John Brown), then its conceivably Frexit followed by the EU imploding. The Brexiteers then claim to be visionaries who are ahead of the curve, Teresa May is acclaimed as a political genius and the argument for an independent Scotland in Europe disappears in a puff of Gauloises smoke.

Can one of the other candidates McCann  their way into the Palais de l'Élysée?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

"Who cares?" I hear you say. "Its about as much interest to me as who will be the next Dundee manager". The candidates in both races are equally uninspiring. But consider this; if the shouty bigot wins (Marine LePen, not John Brown), then its conceivably Frexit followed by the EU imploding. The Brexiteers then claim to be visionaries who are ahead of the curve, Teresa May is acclaimed as a political genius and the argument for an independent Scotland in Europe disappears in a puff of Gauloises smoke.

Can one of the other candidates McCann  their way into the Palais de l'Élysée?

Marcel Marceau has the inside scoop on this but he's staying quiet about it.

Going by polls, any 2 of 4 candidates have a real chance of making the runoff. Melenchon is a communist, Fillon is in a massive scandal, Le Pen is a bit racist. But at least they've all got something to talk about, Macron is just a bit dull in comparison.

3 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

The Brexiteers then claim to be visionaries who are ahead of the curve,

Geert Wilders was meant to be in charge in the netherlands by now according to the visionaries

1 hour ago, Sooky said:

Going by polls, any 2 of 4 candidates have a real chance of making the runoff. Melenchon is a communist, Fillon is in a massive scandal, Le Pen is a bit racist. But at least they've all got something to talk about, Macron is just a bit dull in comparison.

You can't call a man who married one of his teachers dull. Should secure him the French #lad vote. 

31 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

You can't call a man who married one of his teachers dull. Should secure him the French #lad vote. 

That would be all the male voters, then.

1 hour ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Call me a sexist (I am), but I find it a bit creepy a teenage boy marrying a teacher in her 40's. (They didn't actually tie the knot till later)

Marine Le Len "is a bit racist"? She denied a key part of the French complicity in the holocaust about a fortnight ago. Are you always that kind to bigots?

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Marine Le Len "is a bit racist"? She denied a key part of the French complicity in the holocaust about a fortnight ago. Are you always that kind to bigots?

sooky is in favour of rape victims having to fill out an eight page form to get benefits so I'm not surprised that he will play down a person's racism.

Perhaps sarcasm doesn't come off well on the internet. Le Pen is a massive racist - and vile person - who should never be President of France and, thankfully, likely never will.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Perhaps sarcasm doesn't come off well on the internet. Le Pen is a massive racist - and vile person - who should never be President of France and, thankfully, likely never will.

Hope that clears it up for you.

That's better.

sooky is in favour of rape victims having to fill out an eight page form to get benefits so I'm not surprised that he will play down a person's racism.

You've never actually asked my opinion on the rape clause, but alright.

1 minute ago, Sooky said:

You've never actually asked my opinion on the rape clause, but alright.

Which party will you be voting for in the GE, the one that introduced the rape clause or another one?

Which party will you be voting for in the GE, the one that introduced the rape clause or another one?

You know full well that voting a party =\= agreeing with every policy.

1 minute ago, Sooky said:

You know full well that voting a party =\= agreeing with every policy.

Yeah I don't agree with all of the SNP policies but I would have a number of red lines in supporting them.  To give some examples:

If they wanted to introduce/support the rape clause I wouldn't vote for them.

If they wanted to introduce/support the death penalty I wouldn't vote for them.

If they wanted to introduce/support legislation that attacked or undermined equal rights for women, ethnic groups or the LGBT community I wouldn't vote for them.

So even though I support Scottish Independence and the SNP are in the vanguard of that fight if they introduced legislation that I regarded as vile I would not vote for them.

If you vote Tory you are by default supporting the rape clause.

Melenchon is a Eurosceptic loony as well and against anyone but Le Pen, Fillon would go down as a total wrong'un.

Macron seems a bit of an empty suit but for anyone interested in the momentum turning against last year's global political omnishambles, hes your boy.

Melenchon using 'pepper's ghost' technology to speak to 7 different rallies at the same time.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/19/15357360/melenchon-france-election-hologram

I for one, welcome our new futuristic communist overlords .....

Archived