Caledonian Braves (previously Edusport Academy)

Baxter's Nutmeg

On 02/12/2017 at 18:10, Born To Run said:

Before I say my piece, disclaimer - I've spoken with Chris in the run up to this scheme launching, and as a result am hoping that it proves to be successful!

I see a few comments talking about the old cliches...no history, no fanbase, no identity. Let's take them individually:

• History - well, many clubs at this level are in the same boat. Why should being a new club preclude you from experiencing success?
  • Fanbase - this one has a basis in fact...however, most clubs in this league have sparse supports generally. The SPFL stats recently showed League 2 comes in at just over a 300 average in most cases, with Edinburgh City proving a boost comes with promotion. Back to Edusport: surely launching this scheme specifically looking to increase awareness and following can only be a good thing? If it doesn't work in the end, the club loses next to nothing and gains media exposure for being bold.
  • Identity - are you really saying the club lack this? I'd argue that their identity is extremely clear, give young players from francophone Europe a chance to learn English while training under well qualified coaches on the football side, supplementing the top team with talented loanees from the main Scottish academies. The team play good passing football, which seems to be ingrained in them through every training session. Giving talented youth a chance while helping to prepare them for life after football should things not work out.

Any comparisons to My Football Club (Ebbsfleet) are unfair as well IMO - under this scheme, only 30% of the club is on offer, and the role investors play is completely different. As someone who considered getting involved with MyFC initially, the idea that people could pick the team and make transfers was always mad to me! I'd suggest the list of benefits here shows that Chris has learnt from the mistakes others have made previously...

Do they still intend to take the £17k per year from their “students” under this new scheme?

10 hours ago, Born To Run said:

I believe so, yes. Would be tough to replace those study fees with individual £50 shares...

At a Conservative estimate they probably take in £750k per year in “study fees”, and are now asking investors for additional investment to bankroll them to get to the promised land? 

P.S I do realise they will have costs to come off the £750k.

9 hours ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

At a Conservative estimate they probably take in £750k per year in “study fees”, and are now asking investors for additional investment to bankroll them to get to the promised land? 

P.S I do realise they will have costs to come off the £750k.

I wouldn't dream of speaking for them, but I believe that this is the first step in separating the two - ensuring the football club is self-sufficient in the future, while obviously the academy is the main "business".

I have watched EduSport only once, and it did take a while to get accustomed to hearing fluent French during the warm-up! From my vantage point, and I'm no expert whatsoever, they don't appear to have done anything wrong. They're a very unusual addition to the league, for sure, but that would be true of any league I suspect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed 2 loan players (development loans I assume)scored for Edusport today against EK. It begs the question, why bring these boys across from France in numbers if they are going to go to SPL teams to get Scottish boys on loan??

Are the French guys not good enough, or is there another reason??

• 1 month later...

The actual Edusport Academy model is quite interesting and seems to have been relatively successful up until this point. This idea, and the ambition to be in the Premiership in 7 years time, is hokum however - considering they are out of contention in the Lowland League this season, they'll be looking for 4 promotions in 7 years; even Gretna with their lavish spending took 3 years to get out of the old Third Division.

Good luck to them but I would be surprised if they ever even reach the senior leagues.

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:

Anyone here signed up? Seems an interesting idea, especially if they set up somewhere in Glasgow which seems the most likely choice.

I already went through this rodeo with Ebbsfleet and I can't bring myself to do it again.  25 quid per year per member will never get them enough cash to make it up the pyramid.  With Ebbsfleet the MyFC ownership only saw very modest increases in attendance (100-200 people) and even then only at first, once the novelty of going to non-league football faded the attendances dropped and with a new team that has very little in the way of gates now, I can't see them getting much more than League two average attendances (500-600) so they would need outside investment in order to make it to the Prem