Now is not the time....

git-intae-thum

Alex salmond said it, does that mean if Nicola sturgeon says something about holding a referendum we can just ignore it? 

He's also since clarified on Twitter what he meant by it. It's utterly pointless to keep bringing it up. The SNP committed another referendum after a material change in circumstances in their manifesto and people voted for it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alex salmond said it, does that mean if Nicola sturgeon says something about holding a referendum we can just ignore it? 

You explicitly stated "The SNP" had said it.

If you don't get the difference you're either trolling, or monumentally stupid.

I suspect a little of column A and a little of column B in your case.

I can just about understand trolls who come on here and try to portray themselves as clever guys when they're obviously not.  

I just don't get the ones who come on her and effectively go "Look at me, I'm an idiot".  How can someone be so desperate for attention?

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

He's also since clarified on Twitter what he meant by it. It's utterly pointless to keep bringing it up. The SNP committed another referendum after a material change in circumstances in their manifesto and people voted for it.

He clarified on March 2017, after Nicola had issued her ultimatum about holding another referendum. His clarification might have held a little more weight if he'd issued it in 2014 i.e. When he's said it. 

6 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

You explicitly stated "The SNP" had said it.

If you don't get the difference you're either trolling, or monumentally stupid.

I suspect a little of column A and a little of column B in your case.

So if a Tory says something daft about the poor, you'd say it was that person and not the Tory party saying it? 

Aye right. 

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I can just about understand trolls who come on here and try to portray themselves as clever guys when they're obviously not.  

I just don't get the ones who come on her and effectively go "Look at me, I'm an idiot".  How can someone be so desperate for attention?

Loads of man, no ball.

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is going go get worse. Thatcher years were worse than this

Can't agree, I lived through the Thatcher years and people on benefits were never persecuted as much as this. If it gets worse, we'll have to reference an earlier era of comparative evil.  Maybe around the time of the corn laws.

3 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

So if a Tory says something daft about the poor, you'd say it was that person and not the Tory party saying it? 

Aye right. 

Is it Tory policy to say daft things about the poor? "Once In A Generation" was never SNP policy nor an SNP promise.

Aye right. 

Little tip for you. Trolling doesn't work properly when you make yourself look like an absolute thicko in the process.

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Can't agree, I lived through the Thatcher years and people on benefits were never persecuted as much as this. If it gets worse, we'll have to reference an earlier era of comparative evil.  Maybe around the time of the corn laws.

I think it's difficult to compare the two at this stage but we still have the possibility of a further 5 years at least of May.

3 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Is it Tory policy to say daft things about the poor? "Once In A Generation" was never SNP policy nor an SNP promise.

It would be easier if we just admitted that Salmond did not have a mandate to make his "once in a generation" remark.  No politician has such a mandate.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

It's a policy in neither case, is it therefore unimportant that it was said? Should we just ignore salmond or just the things that the SNP want us to ignore. 

21 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I thought about starting a list of the things that Ruth Davidson has said and then done, or said, the exact opposite but I soon realised that there's not enough room on the internet.

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

It's a policy in neither case, is it therefore unimportant that it was said? Should we just ignore salmond or just the things that the SNP want us to ignore. 

He clearly said "In my opinion" and opinions don't make policy.  The yoons wanting to imply that Salmond made some kind of binding promise that would make SNP policy for forty years are just grasping at idiotic straws.

4 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

He clearly said "In my opinion" and opinions don't make policy.  The yoons wanting to imply that Salmond made some kind of binding promise that would make SNP policy for forty years are just grasping at idiotic straws.

What things that salmond has said should we pay attention to, if it isn't his once in a generation statement? Would you be able to offer some sort of guide?

Just now, sparky88 said:

What things that salmond has said should we pay attention to, if it isn't his once in a generation statement? Would you be able to offer some sort of guide?

What things that May and Davidson have said can we pay attention to?

I'm not even convinced that Davidson is using her real name 8).

Salmond doesn't half get under the skin of unionists. Why so scared of a referendum? Why not accept that brexit totally changed the political landscape? It's almost as if unionists don't believe the arguments in favour of staying in the UK are credible....

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

Just ignore the times he expressly says he is sharing a personal opinion. A good example would be when he said "In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, this is a once in a generation opportunity for Scotland."

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

Are you unable to discern between party policy and personal opinion even when it's baldly pointed out?

Archived