Peterhead v Stenny

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

Any chance the board might have a think about sacking Jim?

Should have been done around Xmas time as we were going nowhere. It would have given a new manager time to bring in his own players and badly needed new ideas. Well at least we might be able to do that in Division 2 if finances allow a complete clear out from top to bottom.

Great result now for another arse clencher next week

Queens Park V Smuir

Livingstone v PHead

then

Smuir V Brechin

Phead v Alloa

interesting in that Alloa definately in the play offs but both QP and Brechin have a chance of making them. How hard will Livvy and Alloa try - will Alloa rest the team for play offs?  Any bets on outcomes?

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

At least the players are getting a night out tonight. Would hate for the whole day to have been wasted for them.

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

What are they out for? End of season awards?

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

Sure are. All getting on it in the upstairs bar.

Staying for the awards only then going hame

As for the game stenny get a massive deflection for there goal,then we huff and puff and still wouldnt score if we played until next thursday.We are doomed

Fucking yes, lads! Stenhousemuir Football Club live to fight another day! It wasn't pretty and, at times, it was downright awful to watch but the Warriors showed incredible spirit today and probably deserved the victory. I don't think I've seen the side put in the same level of effort at any point this season - to man, the every player put in a phenomenal shift to drag the team back into contention for ninth place. No failures, no complaints, just 100 per cent dig across the park.

Peterhead, playing against a strong wind, started the better of the two sides and could have opened the scoring within the first 10 minutes. Graham Bowman was forced into a smart save from a close-range shot and big Rory McAllister, I think, whacked a 30-yard free-kick narrowly over the bar. The match turned on its head almost immediately two minutes later when Stenhousemuir ambled up the park and scored through Oli Shaw's deflected effort. Peterhead could maybe have done more to clear their lines but the goal was just back luck - had Shaw's effort not whacked off the defender's shins, Lee Hobday would have gobbled it up, no bother.

The goal precipitated a lengthy period of mild pressure from the visitors. Stenhousemuir's tactic in the first half was to clip wind-assisted balls over the top of the Peterhead defence and hope that Shaw could hold them up long enough for the cavalry to arrive but despite some nervy moments, they failed to cause Hobday any real stress. The only moment of real quality during this period - and, dare I say it, the whole game - saw Colin McMenamin and Mark Gilhaney exchange some cute passes before unleashing Shaw down the right, but he fired wide of goal (could have he centred for the charging Gilhaney instead?) Peterhead, meanwhile, didn't really do much whenever they got the ball. Their strategy seemed to involve little more than hanging high balls up in the air for McAllister to challenge but the striker was unable, at any point this afternoon, to get the better of Mason Robertson; come to think of it, Robertson strolled through the game.

With the wind behind them in the second half, there was a fear that Peterhead's physical advantages would overpower their hosts but it didn't materialise. Yes, the Blue Toon had more of the ball and spent some time in Stenny's final third, but they couldn't really create any genuine chances. There were moments - Vinnie Berry blocked a shot on the line after a set-piece and Bowman made a brave save at the feet of an attacker - but nothing to cause undue anxiety. McAllister couldn't really get into the match and the supporting cast didn't offer much either. Stenhousemuir's 3-5-2 more or less evolved into a 5-3-1-1 as the game progressed and the team worked diligently to suffocate any emerging spaces. It was not attractive in the slightest but it certainly worked.

Every Stenhousemuir player deserves a pat on the back for their efforts but a couple stand out more than others. The back three of Robertson, David Marsh and Fraser Kerr were faultless today and dealt with everything thrown at them. On the deck, in the air, down the middle, from the flanks, it didn't matter to them - every ball that came their way went as far away from goal as possible. Robertson was probably the best of the three (that run he went on in the second half was just wild) and he acutely limited McAllister's involvement, nor did he react to the striker's shenanigans at any point. He has a strange build, does Robertson, and I wonder what he benches. Kieran Millar was excellent in the middle of the park and there was a 20-minute period in the first half where he was everywhere. Anytime Peterhead had the ball, he was on top of them, kicking and hacking away and forcing his opponents into conceding possession or making mistakes. Gilhaney and McMenamin, often maligned this season (rightly, sometimes) worked hard too.

As for Peterhead, you have to wonder what the heck is wrong at that club. On paper, there are some very good players in their roster, players who have enjoyed success and acclaim in the first and second tiers, but they're easily the worst side we've played this season (we've collected 10 points from a possible 12 against them!) How can guys like Simon Ferry and Nicky Riley play in the Premiership for Dundee but look so ordinary against the worst team in the league? How come Grant Anderson get failed to get the better of a bang-average centre-back like David Marsh? McAllister, so often Stenny's scourge over the last few years, probably turned in one of the worst performances I've seen from him. Within 10 minutes, you can usually tell whether or not he's up for it, and it proved the case again today: he was not. Robertson dominated him and nothing he did came off. He was rightly booked for a long series of petulant fouls and spent the afternoon mooching around like a sullen teenager. Scott Ross played well, right enough, and he was Peterhead's best player by some distance.

What now? Well, Peterhead travel to Almondvale to take on Livingston next week - as mentioned above, Livi are being presented with their league trophy and will be hoping to impress a celebratory crowd, but how motivated are they at this stage in the season? Do they have a night out planned afterwards? Will the players be 100 per cent focused on the game in hand or worried about their party? Peterhead have beaten them before and Peterhead can beat them again; there's probably no better time to be facing them. Stenhousemuir, meanwhile, visit this season's bogey side: Queen's Park. While the Warriors obliterated the Spiders on their last visit to Hampden, QP really have Stenny's number this year and were comfortably the better side in the three meetings at Ochilview. Let's hope Stone Cold Stenny can rouse themselves once more and dish out another bodying.

Just imagine: this time next week and we could be sitting in ninth place! If that doesn't excite you, nothing will!

Ross played well, right enough, and he was Peterhead's best player by some distance

I normally think you have good match reports but this is too much.

We are so poor as we are a team of individuals.

The poorest two teams rightly occupy the bottom two places. Stenny are bad but we are even worse. Can't see us getting anything from the last two games so a win for Stenny in one of theirs would send us down and we couldn't have any complaints if they did.

If Rory was close to a suspension then another booking today will surely put him over the limit. He's playing as bad as everyone else but still our best/only hope for a goal.

The poorest two teams rightly occupy the bottom two places. Stenny are bad but we are even worse. Can't see us getting anything from the last two games so a win for Stenny in one of theirs would send us down and we couldn't have any complaints if they did.
If Rory was close to a suspension then another booking today will surely put him over the limit. He's playing as bad as everyone else but still our best/only hope for a goal.

Aye, completely agree. I haven't seen a worse team than us this season. Also, to folk complaining that it's too expensive to go to a Peterhead game, it was a fiver yesterday. What did we get, another 50 folk through the gate? Pathetic.

On 22/04/2017 at 22:05, Francesc Fabregas said:

Fucking yes, lads! Stenhousemuir Football Club live to fight another day! It wasn't pretty and, at times, it was downright awful to watch but the Warriors showed incredible spirit today and probably deserved the victory. I don't think I've seen the side put in the same level of effort at any point this season - to man, the every player put in a phenomenal shift to drag the team back into contention for ninth place. No failures, no complaints, just 100 per cent dig across the park.

Peterhead, playing against a strong wind, started the better of the two sides and could have opened the scoring within the first 10 minutes. Graham Bowman was forced into a smart save from a close-range shot and big Rory McAllister, I think, whacked a 30-yard free-kick narrowly over the bar. The match turned on its head almost immediately two minutes later when Stenhousemuir ambled up the park and scored through Oli Shaw's deflected effort. Peterhead could maybe have done more to clear their lines but the goal was just back luck - had Shaw's effort not whacked off the defender's shins, Lee Hobday would have gobbled it up, no bother.

The goal precipitated a lengthy period of mild pressure from the visitors. Stenhousemuir's tactic in the first half was to clip wind-assisted balls over the top of the Peterhead defence and hope that Shaw could hold them up long enough for the cavalry to arrive but despite some nervy moments, they failed to cause Hobday any real stress. The only moment of real quality during this period - and, dare I say it, the whole game - saw Colin McMenamin and Mark Gilhaney exchange some cute passes before unleashing Shaw down the right, but he fired wide of goal (could have he centred for the charging Gilhaney instead?) Peterhead, meanwhile, didn't really do much whenever they got the ball. Their strategy seemed to involve little more than hanging high balls up in the air for McAllister to challenge but the striker was unable, at any point this afternoon, to get the better of Mason Robertson; come to think of it, Robertson strolled through the game.

With the wind behind them in the second half, there was a fear that Peterhead's physical advantages would overpower their hosts but it didn't materialise. Yes, the Blue Toon had more of the ball and spent some time in Stenny's final third, but they couldn't really create any genuine chances. There were moments - Vinnie Berry blocked a shot on the line after a set-piece and Bowman made a brave save at the feet of an attacker - but nothing to cause undue anxiety. McAllister couldn't really get into the match and the supporting cast didn't offer much either. Stenhousemuir's 3-5-2 more or less evolved into a 5-3-1-1 as the game progressed and the team worked diligently to suffocate any emerging spaces. It was not attractive in the slightest but it certainly worked.

Every Stenhousemuir player deserves a pat on the back for their efforts but a couple stand out more than others. The back three of Robertson, David Marsh and Fraser Kerr were faultless today and dealt with everything thrown at them. On the deck, in the air, down the middle, from the flanks, it didn't matter to them - every ball that came their way went as far away from goal as possible. Robertson was probably the best of the three (that run he went on in the second half was just wild) and he acutely limited McAllister's involvement, nor did he react to the striker's shenanigans at any point. He has a strange build, does Robertson, and I wonder what he benches. Kieran Millar was excellent in the middle of the park and there was a 20-minute period in the first half where he was everywhere. Anytime Peterhead had the ball, he was on top of them, kicking and hacking away and forcing his opponents into conceding possession or making mistakes. Gilhaney and McMenamin, often maligned this season (rightly, sometimes) worked hard too.

As for Peterhead, you have to wonder what the heck is wrong at that club. On paper, there are some very good players in their roster, players who have enjoyed success and acclaim in the first and second tiers, but they're easily the worst side we've played this season (we've collected 10 points from a possible 12 against them!) How can guys like Simon Ferry and Nicky Riley play in the Premiership for Dundee but look so ordinary against the worst team in the league? How come Grant Anderson get failed to get the better of a bang-average centre-back like David Marsh? McAllister, so often Stenny's scourge over the last few years, probably turned in one of the worst performances I've seen from him. Within 10 minutes, you can usually tell whether or not he's up for it, and it proved the case again today: he was not. Robertson dominated him and nothing he did came off. He was rightly booked for a long series of petulant fouls and spent the afternoon mooching around like a sullen teenager. Scott Ross played well, right enough, and he was Peterhead's best player by some distance.

What now? Well, Peterhead travel to Almondvale to take on Livingston next week - as mentioned above, Livi are being presented with their league trophy and will be hoping to impress a celebratory crowd, but how motivated are they at this stage in the season? Do they have a night out planned afterwards? Will the players be 100 per cent focused on the game in hand or worried about their party? Peterhead have beaten them before and Peterhead can beat them again; there's probably no better time to be facing them. Stenhousemuir, meanwhile, visit this season's bogey side: Queen's Park. While the Warriors obliterated the Spiders on their last visit to Hampden, QP really have Stenny's number this year and were comfortably the better side in the three meetings at Ochilview. Let's hope Stone Cold Stenny can rouse themselves once more and dish out another bodying.

Just imagine: this time next week and we could be sitting in ninth place! If that doesn't excite you, nothing will!

I usually enjoy reading your match reports but clearly the importance of the game has clouded your normally excellent judgement.

9 minutes ago, strichener said:

I usually enjoy reading your match reports but clearly the importance of the game has clouded your normally excellent judgement.

How so? I don't think there's anything in there that's unreasonable - both teams were pretty brutal but Stenhousemuir got very lucky with one of their few chances. That's about the long and the short of it.

5 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

How so? I don't think there's anything in there that's unreasonable - both teams were pretty brutal but Stenhousemuir got very lucky with one of their few chances. That's about the long and the short of it.

probably deserved the victory. I don't think I've seen the side put in the same level of effort at any point this season - to man, the every player put in a phenomenal shift to drag the team back into contention for ninth place. No failures, no complaints, just 100 per cent dig across the park.

Two very poor teams playing very poor football.  If either team claimed that this was 100% effort then they both deserve to get relegated TBH.  Baring in mind that I have been a Peterhead supporter for many years and witnessed some really OTT moaning and petulance from some players, nothing compares to the sum of the Stenny team at the weekend where every decision that went against them had at least one player remonstrating with the ref.  I know it was Finnie and he was his usual shite but really it did grow tiresome.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Two very poor teams playing very poor football.  If either team claimed that this was 100% effort then they both deserve to get relegated TBH.  Baring in mind that I have been a Peterhead supporter for many years and witnessed some really OTT moaning and petulance from some players, nothing compares to the sum of the Stenny team at the weekend where every decision that went against them had at least one player remonstrating with the ref.  I know it was Finnie and he was his usual shite but really it did grow tiresome.

I genuinely couldn't fault Stenhousemuir for their lack of effort and I thought everyone tried their hardest and worked tirelessly for the team, but the quality was lacking. As I mentioned above, the only bit of decent play in the whole match was the build-up to Oli Shaw's shot midway through the first half.

I can't remember any of the Stenny players being particularly petulant. I don't think anyone was petulant, come to think of it, and that says something given Rory McAllister's track record. The referee was pretty poor throughout and I think he made a number of weird calls against both sides.

Archived