June 8th General Election

Mudder

Throw away their ideology? They don't have an ideology. They would sell their souls to the devil if they thought it would get them elected. Naked pursuit of power is all I would associate any Blairite with- no principle is safe from being compromised if it appeals to the electorate- labour my arse!

I couldn't bring myself to vote for Corbyn, McDonnell or Abbot because of their IRA support but I've more respect for them than Yvette Cooper and the likes. At least they 3 stand for something.

See all this pish about Corbyn/The IRA etc. It's all in the past. It's brutal and they're scumbags/terrorists but there's a reason they formed and its to do with that shitey flag you've got as your avatar, so it doesn't really sit right with me when I hear things like this coming from patriotic Brits like yourself. Best just not bringing it up and leaving it in the past surely.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I reckon it was a serious post.
Just think about that for a minute.

With a lot of tongue in cheek. He knew he'd get a big reaction.

Jmo is a believer in Blair's third way - the non-ideological ideology.

And fair play to him. It's not my cup of tea but there's an awful lot out there that's worse. He could be a real Tory, and as much as us on the left say it's the same - it's really not. They're still better than the Tories.

With a lot of tongue in cheek. He knew he'd get a big reaction.

Jmo is a believer in Blair's third way - the non-ideological ideology.

And fair play to him. It's not my cup of tea but there's an awful lot out there that's worse. He could be a real Tory, and as much as us on the left say it's the same - it's really not. They're still better than the Tories.

Come to think of it this is the first time in twenty years we've had a proper right wing/left wing divide in British politics.

From 1997 onwards we've had New Labour who were moderates to say the least, followed by one of the most moderate Conservative PMs of all time being dragged even further into the centre by their coalition partners.

Funny thing is since Blair, politics has been about the two main parties trying to out-centre each other, but now they both have far more traditional leaders. If the Liberal Democrats were even remotely competent they'd be winning back dozens of seats.

Come to think of it this is the first time in twenty years we've had a proper right wing/left wing divide in British politics.

From 1997 onwards we've had New Labour who were moderates to say the least, followed by one of the most moderate Conservative PMs of all time being dragged even further into the centre by their coalition partners.

Funny thing is since Blair, politics has been about the two main parties trying to out-centre each other, but now they both have far more traditional leaders. If the Liberal Democrats were even remotely competent they'd be winning back dozens of seats.

That's why I've been so taken aback by how pleased the Lib Dems seemed to be after picking up only a handful of seats (whilst losing two in Yorkshire). The centre ground was evacuated by the big two, this should have been their greatest opportunity since Iraq, and they failed miserably (and hilariously).

IMG_1497997013.605940.jpg

8 hours ago, jmothecat said:

That's why I've been so taken aback by how pleased the Lib Dems seemed to be after picking up only a handful of seats (whilst losing two in Yorkshire). The centre ground was evacuated by the big two, this should have been their greatest opportunity since Iraq, and they failed miserably (and hilariously).

IMG_1497997013.605940.jpg

Agreed,

It's remarkable the amount of centre ground that was available to exploit. Yet the Lib Dems deployed the dual fuckwits of Farron and Rennie and the totally incoherent 2nd referendum policies limiting them to a grand total of a dozen or so seats.

Charlie Kennedy would've romped home imo....

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

...and its to do with that shitey flag you've got as your avatar...

What is it about the colour scheme that causes the problem? Pre-1972 Stormont was a bit of a disaster area in many ways, but it's difficult to see how violence was really justified when reforms were happening not just because of pressure from Westminster but because people in the UUP actually did genuinely want to change things. The Troubles were fueled and prolonged to a large extent by a radical element's desire to repeat the Algerian scenario of the early 1960s in a context where it wasn't really applicable and unlikely to work given the majority of the population of NI was and remains pro-Union. Corbyn's willingness to be an apologist for that anti-democratic approach calls his judgement into question as much as anything else.

16 hours ago, jmothecat said:

I get that a lot of thinking behind the moderates in the party is pragmatism, and that makes backing Corbyn for the moment an appealing prospect, but I'm finding myself a bit dismayed by how quickly the right of the parliamentary party apparently are to throw away their ideology and support Corbyn, who still has a few pretty big question marks. It makes me uncomfortable to see the New Labour lot throw away their ideology at the slightest whiff of power.

15 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

That's some glorious bait from JMO there btw.

Tremendous stuff. The boy has John Cena levels of workmanship and fair play to him. :lol:

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I quite like it when the Black Rod keeps knocking at the back door till it opens.

I wonder what they'd do if the guy who's supposed to slam the door just stood there and welcomed Black Rod inside.

18 hours ago, jmothecat said:

I get that a lot of thinking behind the moderates in the party is pragmatism, and that makes backing Corbyn for the moment an appealing prospect, but I'm finding myself a bit dismayed by how quickly the right of the parliamentary party apparently are to throw away their ideology and support Corbyn, who still has a few pretty big question marks. It makes me uncomfortable to see the New Labour lot throw away their ideology at the slightest whiff of power.

Actually I think there were two factors.

1. The manifesto seemed broad enough that everybody could get behind it - even if they had different ideas on how it would be implemented.

2. A main criticism of Jeremy Corbyn was the idea that he did not really want to win - other than a leadership contest.
You get that sometimes in the Labour Party as in "I am a trade unionist and I would never switch to the employer's side - and being in government is precisely like that".
The perception is that such people like the purity of opposition as opposed to the compromises in government.

If Jeremy Corbyn actually wants to win an election and is flexible enough to consider other points of view then for some people he is not who they thought he was and for the moment they are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

26 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Bercow made a point of mentioning to the DUP that dinosaurs survived for 'millions of years' :lol:

Everybody knew you don't give no lip to Big John.

Some boy.

Archived