June 8th General Election

Mudder

If I were a Tory, I'd be quite concerned about how prime ministerial Corbyn is looking at the moment. Empathetic, at ease with the public, calm under pressure. Basically the polar opposite of May. He's shot up in my estimation over the past month or so. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not really sure going back on your word or being a hypocrite is the worst crime in the world either. If the material conditions and public support is there for another go at a referendum then I'd feel much more resentful if Salmond, Sturgeon et al just said "well we said it was once in a generation so let's see how it is a decade down the line."

I'm amazed that you can see why this gets people so angry (the people on the receiving end that is).

Of course you'd be quite happy if people changed their mind and then the politicians went back on their word and had another go. That's because it fits your beliefs.

Do you really not get that people are understandably angry at the prospect of the result being dismissed so quickly.

I was absolutely devastated by the result. But to just keep going back and having another go whenever there's a favourable poll is just not right. Salmond knew that all too well.

Yes it's hard to see how the Tories can come out well from all this.

sack Theresa = back=stabbing shits + lengthy and divisive leadership election for which there isn't time

back Theresa= propping up a zombie PM lacking the authority and credibility to deal with the massive problems created by the Tory party

The Tories are utterly fucked at the next election. If they hang on with the Maybot at the helm for 18 months, expect a shockingly poor non-Brexit to finish them off for the next decade.

Corbyn is also a big problem for the SNP as he has stripped them of their "radical" clothing and hoovered up a sizeable proprtion of the idealistic and young SNP supporter base, a trend which will only contnue for the next while I feel.

Maybe Corbyn is having a politician's typical career in reverse; becoming the hopeful, idealistic totem of a better future after thirty years of being a reviled, despised, powerless, hopeless laughing stock?

Regardless of whether or not Corbyn becomes PM at the next election (and I hope he does), somebody has finally given us the opportunity to have a meaningful conversation about the type of society we want the UK to be outside of some very narrow boundaries. He has tapped into a feeling that the current system isn't working for too many people, and there is a desire for change to make this fairer. These can only be good things, IMO. 

20 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm amazed that you can see why this gets people so angry (the people on the receiving end that is).

Of course you'd be quite happy if people changed their mind and then the politicians went back on their word and had another go. That's because it fits your beliefs.

Do you really not get that people are understandably angry at the prospect of the result being dismissed so quickly.

I was absolutely devastated by the result. But to just keep going back and having another go whenever there's a favourable poll is just not right. Salmond knew that all too well.

This is nonsense. 

The SNP are not "keeping going back and having another go when there's a favourable poll". The 2014 result was not "dismissed" or disrespected by Sturgeon or the SNP. 

The SNP were extremely clear that another referendum would only be sought in very specific circumstances, which were explained in the their manifesto. A manifesto upon which they won a shitload of seats and formed a Scottish Government. 

People are getting upset because they are frankly too fucking stupid to understand what a manifesto commitment is.

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

This is nonsense. 

The SNP are not "keeping going back and having another go when there's a favourable poll". The 2014 result was not "dismissed" or disrespected by Sturgeon or the SNP. 

The SNP were extremely clear that another referendum would only be sought in very specific circumstances, which were explained in the their manifesto. A manifesto upon which they won a shitload of seats and formed a Scottish Government. 

People are getting upset because they are frankly too fucking stupid to understand what a manifesto commitment is.

'Food bank'...cough...nurse gets some words from a random nutter and within half an hour both Davidson and Dugdale are red in the face screaming about the 'divisive 2nd referendum that the SNP are obsessed about'.

The only people obsessed about a 2nd referendum are these pair of screaming fuckwit hags. Oh, and Wullie Rennie. 

Almost everyone in Scotland knows and accepts that there won't be another referendum any time soon. It's time for the SNP to get on the front foot and whip the rug away from under Dugdale and Davidson, and show the world how little their parties have to offer Scotland. 

'Food bank'...cough...nurse gets some words from a random nutter and within half an hour both Davidson and Dugdale are red in the face screaming about the 'divisive 2nd referendum that the SNP are obsessed about'.
The only people obsessed about a 2nd referendum are these pair of screaming fuckwit hags. Oh, and Wullie Rennie. 
Almost everyone in Scotland knows and accepts that there won't be another referendum any time soon. It's time for the SNP to get on the front foot and whip the rug away from under Dugdale and Davidson, and show the world how little their parties have to offer Scotland. 

I agree.

Dugdale and Davidson have acted like typical politicians - exploiting the situation (but only the latter made it work).

My point is about regular folk who voted no. There are definitely people who are pushing for a second referendum no matter what the circumstances.

Sturgeon and the snp are trying to walk a difficult tight rope. They're managing it fairly well but the expected bounce in the polls post-brexit has just not happened.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

It surely isn't beyond the comprehension of two reasonable people to come up with a better argument as to how to explain the following:

Are either of you disputing that the "once in a generation" statement was not just the opinion of Alex Salmond?  Or do you join Randy's revisionism?

"A once in a generation opportunity to follow a different path" is IMHO  a comment/observation not a policy statement. I for one an not interested in indyref2 until the population gets the chance to suck it and see just how bitter it tastes, your battering on about this is just dragging you down to the level of the trolls that appear to inhabit these threads, you're better than that regardless of which side of the fence you're on.

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

If I were a Tory, I'd be quite concerned about how prime ministerial Corbyn is looking at the moment. Empathetic, at ease with the public, calm under pressure. Basically the polar opposite of May. He's shot up in my estimation over the past month or so. 

What I find hilarious is that Corbyn has not only got the Tories worried he has also put his many detractors in the PLP firmly in their box.  There's must be dozens of thoroughly pissed off right wingers in his own party who are publicly having to pay homage to him knowing that another election may be just around the corner whilst privately be seething.

What I find hilarious is that Corbyn has not only got the Tories worried he has also put his many detractors in the PLP firmly in their box.  There's must be dozens of thoroughly pissed off right wingers in his own party who are publicly having to pay homage to him knowing that another election may be just around the corner whilst privately be seething.

I get that a lot of thinking behind the moderates in the party is pragmatism, and that makes backing Corbyn for the moment an appealing prospect, but I'm finding myself a bit dismayed by how quickly the right of the parliamentary party apparently are to throw away their ideology and support Corbyn, who still has a few pretty big question marks. It makes me uncomfortable to see the New Labour lot throw away their ideology at the slightest whiff of power.

I get that a lot of thinking behind the moderates in the party is pragmatism, and that makes backing Corbyn for the moment an appealing prospect, but I'm finding myself a bit dismayed by how quickly the right of the parliamentary party apparently are to throw away their ideology and support Corbyn, who still has a few pretty big question marks. It makes me uncomfortable to see the New Labour lot throw away their ideology at the slightest whiff of power.

Ffs

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

B*ll*cks. He is looking like a Union Rep for the N.U.T.  or Unison.

4 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Why? The anti Corbynites threw there ideology away the last time a whiff of power blew past.

I thought their ideology was exactly that: the slightest whiff of power.

Throw away their ideology? They don't have an ideology. They would sell their souls to the devil if they thought it would get them elected. Naked pursuit of power is all I would associate any Blairite with- no principle is safe from being compromised if it appeals to the electorate- labour my arse!

I couldn't bring myself to vote for Corbyn, McDonnell or Abbot because of their IRA support but I've more respect for them than Yvette Cooper and the likes. At least they 3 stand for something.

Archived