June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glen Minter :lol:

McSpreader :lol:

Lex :lol:

That they'd celebrate every other party not even being able to match the number of SNP seats tells you all you need to know about the joke parties up here. There's still only one winner folks.

It's a fact. Take away the Scottish vote for the Tories in rejection of independence and they lose their 12 Scottish seats. If yes supporters voted labour and returned a few more labour MPs then we'd have a labour government.
The SNP once again have let the Tories in government.

The only Scottish people who have let the Tories in are the people who voted for them, rather than one of the other parties who were standing on a 'no to Indyref2 platform'

Thankfully, the Tories still represent a small, although growing, minority in Scotland.

Disappointed that talented politicians like Salmond, Robertson and Callum McCaig have lost their seats, as not only were they good in Parliament, but did a lot for their constituencies as well. However, should be remembered that even 6 years ago it was claimed to be fantasy land stuff to think the SNP would even get 15 seats, let alone be disappointed with still having the most seats in the country by a distance. 2015 was an utterly freak result, this is still a good one in isolation.

Personally, if you'd offered me a reduction in SNP seats in return for the Tories losing their majority I'd have bitten your hand off. Isn't and shouldn't be about independence at any cost, should be what's best for the people as a whole (I'm a 'buckled lefty' first and foremost), and although I still 100% believe that's an independent Scotland, a resurgent, non-Blairite Labour Party is the best that could be hoped for at present. A good night all in upon reflection. May resigning would be a delicious cherry on top!

Must admit I didn't see that coming - no one did I suppose. Would be easy to point fingers and say I told you so, but in reality this was dreadful result for the SNP that has surprised us all.

The playing it safe, don't rock the boat has served the SNP well in the past, so I'm not going to criticise them too much for that, but now all has changed and the SNP must change too.

It was a lackluster campaign and we had nothing really to vote for. People won't get out their houses on a rainy day to "send strong voices to Westminster to stand up for Scotland" 

No knee jerk reaction to this result, but we have to be radical at times and just tell it like it is and what we stand for and why

Kuenssberg announcing that May's saying she has no intention of resigning, instead focusing on forming a parliament due to having the largest party seats and votes. K'sake.

Must admit I didn't see that coming - no one did I suppose. Would be easy to point fingers and say I told you so, but in reality this was dreadful result for the SNP that has surprised us all.
The playing it safe, don't rock the boat has served the SNP well in the past, so I'm not going to criticise them too much for that, but now all has changed and the SNP must change too.
It was a lackluster campaign and we had nothing really to vote for. People won't get out their houses on a rainy day to "send strong voices to Westminster to stand up for Scotland" 
No knee jerk reaction to this result, but we have to be radical at times and just tell it like it is and what we stand for and why

Derek McKay must take a lot of blame for that campaign

Lacklustre is an understatement.

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Kuenssberg announcing that May's saying she won't resign, instead focusing on forming a parliament due to having the largest party seats and votes.

K'sake.

It'll just make it all the funnier when her crippled government collapses up it's own arse and her own party sticks the knife in.

It puts indyref2 on the back burner for the foreseeable future.  I think it was the first very obvious tactical error when she pushed it too quickly. Might be proved right in the long term, but right now, Sturgeon does have to self reflect.

The uncontrollable, unbridled glee from the YesLosers when Queen Nic told the PM she was demanding Indyref2 even more hilarious now.

Little did they know it would ultimately peter out just a few months down the line with big SNP losses and Robertson and Salmond emptied by the Tories. Delicious.

Don't forget 'IT'S HAPPENING'

21 seats lost. Hmmmm seems like Nicola isn't very well liked after all.Tbh I've got loads of friends and family in Scotland who can't stand her so I'm not totally surprised by the results.

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

It's a disaster for May. She called this, she had a terrible campaign and she lost her majority as a result. Her position is now untenable and she has to resign, and I suspect she will this afternoon.

However a real disaster for the Conservative Parry would have been Labour being the largest party or *shudder* a Labour majority. Neither of them came close to happening.

The biggest losers in the UK last night were the SNP.

Nor were they likely to happen, however, they are now far more clearly vulnerable. The Tory party's ideas on Brexit, their former plan for government: all lie in tatters.

The SNP didn't do well last night, but are in a stronger position relative to their own objectives than the Tory party currently are with respect to theirs. This election was always going to be more difficult to find a resonant message. If anything they should have been far bolder than they were.

Bare in mind though, three years on from the referendum, and the SNP have the most local government representatives and recently took control of the GCC in addition to a slew of others. Are the biggest party in Holyrood with a pro-Indy majority, and have a majority of Westminster seats with an opportunity to cause far more mayhem in a hung parliament than they ever did with 56 in a Tory majority.

Wounded, certainly, not irreprably so, though.

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

It'll just make it all the funnier when her crippled government collapses up it's own arse and her own party sticks the knife in.

Agreed.  I kinda want her to go today for the drama and because I don't like her, but the better laugh might involve watching her struggle on.

Archived