June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it is fucking dreadful to see so many Tories getting voted in by Scotland, it's worth remembering that it would still be a Tory majority if Scotland was excluded.  So while we've helped them in some sense, we're hardly the ones to blame here.

The SNP have to swallow some pride here and change things up bigly or there could be worse nights than this ahead. Especially with the possibility of another election soon; lots of tactical voting markers in place and tiny SNP majorities.

I get why (even if I didn't agree with it) they talked up another Referendum in the context of a hard Brexit. Between the Yes folk who don't particularly want to see one too soon and Unionists, how many people are all that keen right now? Granted it was the Unionists who talked of nothing else in this election but yesterday we saw a jaded and uninspired SNP vote. They've misread the tone here. Throw in a generally shite campaign and it's been poor.

The good news is Brexit, the main reason for premature Indy chat, is in a right state now. The SNP have to take the prospect of another referendum in the next few years off the table and use their ironically more influential Westminster group effectively RE Brexit. The criticism they get at Government level is usually hysterical nonsense but there are some areas that need improvement there too.

The tl;dr being the SNP need to start choosing the battles that theyre in a position to win, rather than clumsily letting their opponents set the tone. Take the circumstances they're faced with now on the chin and leave Independence until the time is right.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

While it is fucking dreadful to see so many Tories getting voted in by Scotland, it's worth remembering that it would still be a Tory majority if Scotland was excluded.  So while we've helped them in some sense, we're hardly the ones to blame here.

Nup though. It's not a Tory majority, and if they needed as little as 4 or 5 more seats then there would be a huge difference.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Tories would have less than Labour and SNP combined.

Just now, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Nup though. It's not a Tory majority, and if they needed as little as 4 or 5 more seats then there would be a huge difference.

I know it's not a Tory majority now - I mean still in a time context, given that they used to have one.

Those extra 4 or 5 seats could just as easily come from England or Wales too.  Scotland is returning a substantially smaller proportion of Tories than any of those places.  You could just as easily say that if another 4 or 5 seats in Scotland had gone blue, then it would be a majority.

1 minute ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

All they need is the DUP bigots to give them support which I believe is quite likely.  If the unionists in Scotland hadn't thrown their lot in behind the tories that would not have been possible.

Today is the day the Indy dream died for me 

If Salmond and Robertson lose seats then we're fucked 

Why put ourselves through that again, it will be a bigger No 

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I know it's not a Tory majority now - I mean still in a time context, given that they used to have one.

Those extra 4 or 5 seats could just as easily come from England or Wales too.  Scotland is returning a substantially smaller proportion of Tories than any of those places.  You could just as easily say that if another 4 or 5 seats in Scotland had gone blue, then it would be a majority.

Just now, Todders said:

All they need is the DUP bigots to give them support which I believe is quite likely.  If the unionists in Scotland hadn't thrown their lot in behind the tories that would not have been possible.

^^^This

Just now, craigkillie said:

If you exclude Scotland then the SNP would have 0.

I wish they would exclude Scotland but they don't.

Archived