June 8th General Election

Mudder

Find it interesting how the SNP released a statement criticising Tories for this and not Plaid Cymru and Leanne Wood AM, who is also trying to give up her current seat to reach Westminster.

Oh, and of course Alex Salmond did the same in 2015!

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps largely because we don't sit in the Welsh Assembly so it's not particularly relevant to the people of Scotland what Leanne Wood does? Also may have something to do with Nicola Sturgeon getting a barrage of abuse about 'getting on with the day job' as she gave up her annual leave to go and promote Scotland for Tartan week?

I'll happily admit that the weird barrage of abuse Sturgeon got for promoting Scotland overseas was fairly mental.

5 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Sunday Times predicting 12 Scottish seats for the xenophobic, racist, establishment c***s.

Hard to take seriously.

The union at all costs brigade and the auld yins should push the Tory vote up. I don't think they'll pick up as many as 12 though. 

On 23 April 2017 at 03:15, Kyle said:

The union at all costs brigade and the auld yins should push the Tory vote up. I don't think they'll pick up as many as 12 though. 

If the Scottish Tories conjure up a 30% vote then it might be more than 12 seats.

With the Tories effectively having no manifest o other than Brexit and May refusing to take part in televised debates you would imagine it would be an open goal for Labour.

The BBC website headline is that Labour want four more bank holidays!!!!

So that's the best they can offer on the first weekend after the election has been called.  What a complete and utter shambles.

If these polls are anywhere near correct folk would be voting against having a vote by voting for the vilest most right wing government since the 80s.
I don't get it.
Is stopping a vote worth that?

Also shows the utter stupidity of labour trying to out union the Conservative and unionist party. Utter ineptitude and will kill the party for decades

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

With the Tories effectively having no manifest o other than Brexit and May refusing to take part in televised debates you would imagine it would be an open goal for Labour.

So that's the best they can offer on the first weekend after the election has been called.  What a complete and utter shambles.

But no increase in statutory minimum holiday entitlement so these four new holidays can just be deducted from that. Which means absolutely zero effect for the vast majority of workers.

Worse, it now means we only get three full weeks clear for family holidays instead of four. Labour just proposed nicking a week's holiday from the workers.

Somebody worked out that the complexities of the Brexit stuff means there will be very little Parliamentary time for anything else for the next four or five years - not just debating time but every committee will be swamped with the thousands of deals, treaties and laws that will need looked at. Nearly fifty years of deals to be re-done in five. Any Party promising anything major is talking out of their arse because there simply won't be the opportunity to do anything about it.

53 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Corbyn has in the past few days promoted retaining single market access, a £10 minimum wage, an increase in corporation tax and a ban on the privatisation of any NHS services. 

Just don't expect to see any fair or even reasonable coverage on him from the fabled "MSM", particularly the BBC.

Corbyn has in the past few days promoted retaining single market access, a £10 minimum wage, an increase in corporation tax and a ban on the privatisation of any NHS services. 
Just don't expect to see any fair or even reasonable coverage on him from the fabled "MSM", particularly the BBC.

Emily Maitless tweeted the other night that there is still time for a coup against Corbyn.
Then you've got Laura Kuensberg.

25 minutes ago, Paco said:

Couldn't agree more, I thought his speech on Thursday was very good and I actually believed he meant every word, as open and honest a speech as any of the leaders have managed in recent months.

16 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Couldn't agree more, I thought his speech on Thursday was very good and I actually believed he meant every word, as open and honest a speech as any of the leaders have managed in recent months.

Was that the one where he said half a million kids are in classes of over 36?

Which was shown to be a lie because the true figure is 42,000? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39666686

Who's at fault here - Corbyn for getting it so wrong or the media for pointing it out?

Was that the one where he said half a million kids are in classes of over 36?
Which was shown to be a lie because the true figure is 42,000? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39666686
Who's at fault here - Corbyn for getting it so wrong or the media for pointing it out?

Ever notice the MSM only spend time pointing out Corbyn's fake news, not May's?

5 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Ever notice the MSM only spend time pointing out Corbyn's fake news, not May's?

Ever notice that was buried on an obscure part of their website? His announcement was paraded as the main story for the full day.

Ever notice that was buried on an obscure part of their website? His announcement was paraded as the main story for the full day.

Do you really believe they would put it on the front page if they hadn't caught the People's Champion lying? Blairite control of the MSM never ceases to surprise me.

Indeed, the few differences I can find between the BNP 2005 manifesto and the current Tory platform are in areas like the NHS, where the Tories are more right wing than the BNP were.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/04/can-anybody-find-significant-difference-mays-policies-british-national-party-manifesto-2005/

3 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Do you really believe they would put it on the front page if they hadn't caught the People's Champion lying? Blairite control of the MSM never ceases to surprise me.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg.07ff937b7229dd196a2235e111665c10.jpg

2 hours ago, Paco said:

That's a fair point, up to a point.

We know the MSM agenda.  Labour have professional spin doctors.  Why even bother with such a stupid proposal.

Corbyn should spend the next five weeks speaking about five key issues; one a week so even the BBC will be obliged to report the issue.  Mind you Corbyn's ability to stay on message is on a par with Trump's.

Given most folks' appetite for politics the 'one issue a week approach' would probably be most effective even if there was a sympathetic MSM.

Archived