June 8th General Election

Mudder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

Getting rid of Corbyn is not a 'win' for the Tories. If I'm a Tory voter (I'm not, I have a conscience, and a soul...) I want Corbyn around forever.

If May is prepared to sacrifice three more years of Corbyn, she must know that Brexit is going to be a hell of a lot worse than she is letting on. 

Perfectly valid point, but isn't the term of a government elected as a result snap election 4 years instead of the full 5? 

Again, not arguing with your point any, just looking for clarity on that specific matter. Seen it mentioned elsewhere, but it doesn't appear to be common knowledge.

Ignore me - it's not relevant to your point anyway :wacko:

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

If May is prepared to sacrifice three more years of Corbyn, she must know that Brexit is going to be a hell of a lot worse than she is letting on. 

If that's part of her rationale she must be looking at the Labour benches and realising there's not that much better in their ranks.  Personally I can't think of a credible leader to replace Corbyn; how fucked up is that?

Also worth keeping an eye on the 30 Tory MP's who are being investigated for election fraud. 

It's a coincidence to say the least that the election is announced seemingly to coincide with the CPS considering prosecution on those individuals. 

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Getting rid of Corbyn is not a 'win' for the Tories. If I'm a Tory voter (I'm not, I have a conscience, and a soul...) I want Corbyn around forever.

with or without Corbyn labour are close to oblivion, they have no leader no direction no policies 

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

Also worth keeping an eye on the 30 Tory MP's who are being investigated for election fraud. 

It's a coincidence to say the least that the election is announced seemingly to coincide with the CPS considering prosecution on those individuals. 

That was raised with Mundell on radio Scotland this morning, not surprisingly he rubbered the question.  I wouldn't be surprised if this election is a get out of jail free (or with a minimum, ineffective penalty) card for them; though I doubt it had any impact on May's decision.

Like the Carmichael case it will show election laws have huge gps in them.

12 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Perfectly valid point, but isn't the term of a government elected as a result snap election 4 years instead of the full 5? 

Again, not arguing with your point any, just looking for clarity on that specific matter. Seen it mentioned elsewhere, but it doesn't appear to be common knowledge.

Ignore me - it's not relevant to your point anyway :wacko:

Next GE will be scheduled for 2022, I believe. Scottish Parliament election now reverts to 2020 rather than 2021, though. Next council elections in 2021. Happy to be corrected by anybody if I have the wrong information, mind. 

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If that's part of her rationale she must be looking at the Labour benches and realising there's not that much better in there ranks.  Personally I can't think of a credible leader to replace Corbyn; how fucked up is that?

The talent-pool is pretty threadbare, but I could pick a random person off the street and have reasonable belief that they could do a better job than Corbyn. For a career politician committed to opposing governments of all hues in the HoC since 1983, he is impressively dire at just about every aspect of his role. 

Think the key reason Corbyn was so keen for this is he'd be out on his arse before 2020 anyway and probably wouldn't have survived a poor round of council elections.

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

The talent-pool is pretty threadbare, but I could pick a random person off the street and have reasonable belief that they could do a better job than Corbyn. For a career politician committed to opposing governments of all hues in the HoC since 1983, he is impressively dire at just about every aspect of his role. 

Yeah but you don't get to pick a random person to be the next Labour Leader.  Sadly.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If that's part of her rationale she must be looking at the Labour benches and realising there's not that much better in their ranks.  Personally I can't think of a credible leader to replace Corbyn; how fucked up is that?

Keir Starmer is someone that has seemed alright whenever I've seen him speak. Other than that I'm struggling.

2 hours ago, McSpreader said:

Oy an idiot thinks the tv debates have any value.

:lol:

2 hours ago, McSpreader said:

Btw I'm self employed, lol! ( Oh , you know me so well !) 

Running a Facebay page doesn't count m8. Sorry. 

I'm a member of the SNP but I've lost faith in my own MSP and MP due to lack of support they provided to my Mum who was one of two ladies driving the recent Mesh campaign in Scotland. The only one that has spoken out about how the mesh review was carried out was Alex Neil. All the support has came from Labour and Tory MSPs, which pissed me off as I have backed the SNP for many years, and when my family needed them to take action they not only let us down but hundreds of others in Scotland. It's left a real sour taste in my mouth and I will be resigning my membership as I don't have faith.

So for the council elections, I'll be backing the greens or an independent I think.

However for the General Election, I think I will still vote SNP as I think they are the only credible option at WM for the seats for Scotland.

Hoping for independence one day, and for lots of new political parties to emerge on the back of that.

5 minutes ago, Tam M said:

I'm a member of the SNP but I've lost faith in my own MSP and MP due to lack of support they provided to my Mum who was one of two ladies driving the recent Mesh campaign in Scotland. The only one that has spoken out about how the mesh review was carried out was Alex Neil. All the support has came from Labour and Tory MSPs, which pissed me off as I have backed the SNP for many years, and when my family needed them to take action they not only let us down but hundreds of others in Scotland. It's left a real sour taste in my mouth and I will be resigning my membership as I don't have faith.

So for the council elections, I'll be backing the greens or an independent I think.

However for the General Election, I think I will still vote SNP as I think they are the only credible option at WM for the seats for Scotland.

Hoping for independence one day, and for lots of new political parties to emerge on the back of that.

Out of interest; who's your MP & MSP? 

11 hours ago, stonedsailor said:

That would depend on the type of extinguisher you leave me. 

A house fire would be mainly carbon fuel so leaving a CO2 extinguisher may help but it disperses quickly and only covers on side of the fire triangle.

You only need to cover one side of the fire triangle :lol:

5 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Quite possibly. This election has to be about damage limitation. From what I can see I think Corbyn knows it.

Why then do all the Labour MPs who have been interviewed the past two days refuse to back Corbyn?

They dodge every question about him. You'd think they could at least pretend that the party isn't an absolute shambles, by trying to come together for the sake of the election - that might limit the damage and stop the Tories from having a massive majority.

But no, it appears almost all of them will continue to undermime Corbyn the whole way through the election campaign, making them even more of a shambles and increasing the Tory majority. But it will be worth it to get rid of Corbyn, right?

Archived