June 8th General Election

Mudder

Can't see the Lib Dems only gaining 1 seat tbh.

Not sure where they are really likely to gain, plus carmichael is hardly safe. If snp find a credible candidate there he could be out. Sure he would have wanted the parliament to go full term to allow his constituents to forget that hes a lying arrogant duplicitous scumbag

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Not sure where they are really likely to gain, plus carmichael is hardly safe. If snp find a credible candidate there he could be out. Sure he would have wanted the parliament to go full term to allow his constituents to forget that hes a lying arrogant duplicitous scumbag

If you check the link Fide provided it's for the UK overall, not Scotland.

1 minute ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Corbyn's no match so surely it's Nic she's shitting it from !?

... actually, come to think of it - although I've looked forward to each of them they've nearly all been cringe inducing to the max - especially the Scottish ones ... an audience of monosyllabic mono-brows asking demented questions about dug shite and the like.

May has nothing to gain from taking part in TV debates, IMO. She is usually somewhere between mediocre and poor at PMQs and in the HoC, so there is no need to risk underwhelming performances in live TV debates when you are so far ahead in the opinion polls only weeks before a GE. Also little to gain from giving opposition parties and leaders more airtime and a bigger platform than is strictly necessary.

We will likely have some Scottish debates between Sturgeon, Dugdale, Davidson and Rennie, I'd imagine. Sturgeon usually performs reasonably well in live debates, but she also would have little to lose from giving them a pass. 

11 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Labour should say they'll stop Brexit if elected for the scenes. 

That's probably their only hope of winning. That was broadly what Owen smith was promising when he stood for the leadership 

I think the Unionist vote in the South of Scotland will most likely consolidate itself more with the Tories compared to the rest of Scotland. Which probably won't be enough thankfully in D&G but Mundell will probably come back with a larger majority IMO. 

I look forward to the Lib Dems somehow contriving to reinvent themselves as the 'progressive' option at this election - in England, anyway. This, of course, is despite their leader being a lily-livered homophobe and their position on the EU being absolutely everything to do with opportunism and absolutely nothing to do with deeply held principles.

I also fully expect The Guardian and suchlike, similar to 2010, to swallow it whole. 

25 minutes ago, kevthedee said:

Disappointed with that if true,I thought it was a good idea getting them all on stage with a audience,and making them face difficult/ackward questions.

The Paxman interviews were a good laugh. Who can forget Millibands's cringeworthy "Hell yeah I'm tough enough" or him tripping as he walked off stage. Corbyn dreams of only commitiing gaffes of those magnitude.

Archived