West Region Secretary

garrellburn

28 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Presumably missing out the dates allocated for Scottish Junior cup and any clubs not involved (byes, already eliminated) could play already postponed fixtures, or a fixture brought forward with another club in their own league also not involved.

This could work as draw for Scottish is normally two clear weeks before the ties are due to be played. Beyond third, or possibly fourth round there would be many clubs already out so plenty of scope for bringing fixtures forward. This would also open up later dates to play the inevitable postponements in mid-winter.

To a certain degree this already happens as from fourth round onwards the numbers in the Scottish are diminishing and non participating clubs do mostly get a fixture but more notice could be given  which seems to be the main complaint at present.

All of this requires probably a bit more forward planning but if someone wants the job then they must be prepared  to do it.

It would require a degree of flexibility of course but there are ways to reduce the effects. No. 1 for me would be to not play any Junior Cup fixtures in the period most affected by postponements (Nov-Feb at least). It is a wrecking ball to fixtures without the provision of midweek games under lights.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Kennie, that's not true. You did state your health as being the reason for leaving Lugar, which seems odd, as if you had given the above reasons at the time, no one would have blamed you.

For the record, I hope you get the role but being disingenuous won't get you there or help you if you do.

I'm sorry, jimbaxters, perhaps I didn't explain it properly, but I was not meaning to seem disingenuous. You may notice I did say it was 'more'  for the health of the club. What I meant was that the state the club was in was getting to me. The stress of trying to keep the club afloat singlehandedly was affecting me and making me ill. I felt that a normal appeal for assistance would not produce anything of substance. so I took the only course of action I thought would benefit both myself and the club. I considered that the future well-being of the club was more important  than me being part of it.

As Sting once sang - "If you love someone, set them free."

12 hours ago, Bellshilljunior said:

I think one thing has been missed from Mr Young's manifesto pledge. At no point throughout the fixtures part did he have any solutions to fix the issue, He will look at it i believe is the line. Now i am no Mr Robertson apologist but surely the devil that you know is better than the unknown at present. I agree that something has to be done is respect of ixture allocation but surely thats the way forward is positive discussions rather than this?

Fixtures and Fixture Lists

I know this is a contentious issue with probably every club in the Region and there is no easy answer to this nor is there a quick fix out there waiting to be used. I fully understand the needs and reasons why a club would want advanced fixtures of more than a couple of weeks at a time. I also fully understand the reasons why this is sometimes hard to achieve. We are hampered by the weather, by postponements, by Scottish Cup replays, Scottish Cup draws, and other reasons, but I do believe with a bit of effort a more workable list can be achieved. Some of the things that would help would be to get the Cups drawn with more than just 1 round at a time, clubs being willing to use floodlights, better planning of fixtures during the worst months of weather related problems, provisional fixtures for clubs facing Cup postponements. I would make it my promise that I would look at ways to make it better.

I don't know what more I can add to this, other than what I see at present is totally unacceptable in this day and age.  A drip feed of fixtures with hardly any advance warning does nothing for forward thinking clubs. Shortly after I sent my letter to the clubs I sat down and prepared a fixture list till the end of he season, there was still a few if's and but's to be counted in such as later rounds of the cups, a couple of Mondays and Wednesdays had to be used, but it fitted everything in and could have been published.

12 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Kennie, that's not true. You did state your health as being the reason for leaving Lugar, which seems odd, as if you had given the above reasons at the time, no one would have blamed you.

For the record, I hope you get the role but being disingenuous won't get you there or help you if you do.

On 3/20/2015 at 21:39, Kennie said:

Well, I thought I was by with all of this, but there are so many truths, half truths and downright lies being posted here that I have to reply to some of them.

First of all - My resignation.

Ten or eleven years ago, I collapsed at work and was rushed to Wishaw General Hospital, I spent a few days there in recovery and then a short spell of recuperation at home before returning to continue with my duties at Lugar. (I was off work for much longer though.) I made a promise to my wife and family at that point that if I ever felt as bad again that I would call it a day. That day happened last weekend. Last Saturday, following a fine 3-0 win over rivals Whitletts, I was at home later in the evening and instead of looking forward to going out for a few beers, I couldn’t be bothered and just sat in the ‘big chair’ in front of the telly. As the night wore on, I started to feel unwell and the feeling brought back memories of that time all those years ago.

I went to bed early, didn’t feel much better in the morning but I was babysitting my granddaughter and had decided to take her out for the day and I was looking forward to spending some time away from the football with her. It didn’t happen the way I had intended. Phone calls, text messages and P&B all seen to that. The unwell feeling didn’t subside but I made a conscious decision there and then that something in my lifestyle had to change. Later that evening I discussed the situation with my wife and she reminded me of my ‘promise’. So that was it, time to call it a day.

Age hasn't affected your memory jimbo!

10 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

No don't worry it was of a level higher than your usual contribution emoji6.png

Simply asked what evidence Glenconner had for flinging around potentially libellous terminology.

By the way your higher level contribution has libelous spelled wrongly.

9 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I know you were probably really excited about pulling someone up for a potential mis-spelled word, however both spellings of the word are acceptable, one L is the typical American use of the word. Nice try though sport, keep on trucking!

Keep on trucking! That's a sneaky Americanism. Nice.

32 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Fixtures for Monday 22nd May now released .

28 minutes ago, andy25 said:

And Wednesday 24th May as well .

16 minutes ago, glensmad said:

And Saturday 27th.

Getting a bit like buses eh?

On 15 May 2017 at 22:32, kilbowie2002 said:

No don't worry it was of a level higher than your usual contribution emoji6.png

Simply asked what evidence Glenconner had for flinging around potentially libellous terminology.

Happy to discuss it with you in person tomorrow night at Yoker.

5 hours ago, Kennie said:

Fixtures and Fixture Lists

I know this is a contentious issue with probably every club in the Region and there is no easy answer to this nor is there a quick fix out there waiting to be used. I fully understand the needs and reasons why a club would want advanced fixtures of more than a couple of weeks at a time. I also fully understand the reasons why this is sometimes hard to achieve. We are hampered by the weather, by postponements, by Scottish Cup replays, Scottish Cup draws, and other reasons, but I do believe with a bit of effort a more workable list can be achieved. Some of the things that would help would be to get the Cups drawn with more than just 1 round at a time, clubs being willing to use floodlights, better planning of fixtures during the worst months of weather related problems, provisional fixtures for clubs facing Cup postponements. I would make it my promise that I would look at ways to make it better.

I don't know what more I can add to this, other than what I see at present is totally unacceptable in this day and age.  A drip feed of fixtures with hardly any advance warning does nothing for forward thinking clubs. Shortly after I sent my letter to the clubs I sat down and prepared a fixture list till the end of he season, there was still a few if's and but's to be counted in such as later rounds of the cups, a couple of Mondays and Wednesdays had to be used, but it fitted everything in and could have been published.

The jobs yours when can you start.

The old Ayrshire leagues never had a fixture list bar the normal start of season sectional games , couple of league and West 1st round. Sometimes you got a heads up on a Saturday night sometimes it could be a Monday. For all the will in the world once the Scottish replays kick in its back to waiting. Getting as many Scottish rounds as possible done and dusted before mid December you could produce a block of fixtures to the end of February that might have a chance weather permitting. Most clubs would be happy with 2 or an extreme 3 matches in advance at a time giving them time for arranging programmes , hospitality etc. Personally don't want to go down the amateur route of moving matches to grounds with 4g surfaces , junior clubs have to be more professional than that...we were promised at the time that the new Super Leagues would take junior football forward into a more professional environment... when you consider the junior cup final is not now going to extra time because our players are not deemed fit enough for television , many would say the grade is going backwards.

On 16 May 2017 at 03:21, kilbowie2002 said:

Given you've liked a post I made above where I stated I am currently in the states I find it hard to fathom how we could do that. That plus I don't go to games with nothing to do with Clydebank. Don't get all threatening on the internet it doesnt make you look good and you never know who you're speaking to. Simply you either stand by your libellous comment or you should post a public apology. No one on here likes the fixtures man but unless you're gonna put up the evidence then don't fling about very serious accusations. There's plenty evidence for the guy being incompetent but nothing to support your previous post.

In the States but butting in on a thread about the Candy.

Laughable comrade.

Almost Trump like.

On 16 May 2017 at 03:21, kilbowie2002 said:

Given you've liked a post I made above where I stated I am currently in the states I find it hard to fathom how we could do that. That plus I don't go to games with nothing to do with Clydebank. Don't get all threatening on the internet it doesnt make you look good and you never know who you're speaking to. Simply you either stand by your libellous comment or you should post a public apology. No one on here likes the fixtures man but unless you're gonna put up the evidence then don't fling about very serious accusations. There's plenty evidence for the guy being incompetent but nothing to support your previous post.

Is the lawyer Perry Mason by any chance?

I give you the example of Largs Thistle. Last played on 15th April and last game no scheduled yet, games out now til 27th May.

Talbot play Buffs on Monday, surely Largs game should have been fitted in here??

Robertson has either forgotten about them or is trying to put them out of business.

No league, at any level in any country should a team go 6 WEEKS without a game.

3 hours ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

I give you the example of Largs Thistle. Last played on 15th April and last game no scheduled yet, games out now til 27th May.

Talbot play Buffs on Monday, surely Largs game should have been fitted in here??

Robertson has either forgotten about them or is trying to put them out of business.

No league, at any level in any country should a team go 6 WEEKS without a game.

Perhaps the plastic factor comes into this?

Grass parks want to hurry up and finish so that they can close to get a few weeks of recuperation. No such limitations with a plastic park.

The earliest that Largs v Talbot could be slotted in would be on Wed 24th if Talbot lose at Darvel in the West QF this Wednesday. Or Saturday 27th if Talbot beat Darvel but then lose to Cumnock / Kirky Rob Roy in the Wed 24th SF.

But what's the betting that even in one of those scenarios, he'd instead give Talbot the AWP SF at Kilwinning, keeping Largs and their ever-reliable plastic waiting for a few more weeks yet...

6 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

Perhaps the plastic factor comes into this?

Grass parks want to hurry up and finish so that they can close to get a few weeks of recuperation. No such limitations with a plastic park.

The earliest that Largs v Talbot could be slotted in would be on Wed 24th if Talbot lose at Darvel in the West QF this Wednesday. Or Saturday 27th if Talbot beat Darvel but then lose to Cumnock / Kirky Rob Roy in the Wed 24th SF.

But what's the betting that even in one of those scenarios, he'd instead give Talbot the AWP SF at Kilwinning, keeping Largs and their ever-reliable plastic waiting for a few more weeks yet...

They'll be paying wages to players without playing so whatever reasoning is flawed.

3 hours ago, superbigal said:

Players have contracts usually at least till the end of May. That will be factored into budgets. So what are Largs suggesting if they had finished in April?

No team should ever go 6 weeks with no game, this is enough to kill teams stone dead ffs.

Archived