West Region Secretary

garrellburn

So we have Cumnock next Wednesday night away.

What i don't understand is he scheduled a district cup match for us 1st April.

Surely especially with Cumnock so far ahead in league fixtures and when he's obviously thinking about dishing out cup fixtures surely he should have given us our west tie at Cumnock that Saturday instead of giving us St Rochs which he could have saved for a mid week at a later date. Common sense really.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, rednblack said:

So we have Cumnock next Wednesday night away.

What i don't understand is he scheduled a district cup match for us 1st April.

Surely especially with Cumnock so far ahead in league fixtures and when he's obviously thinking about dishing out cup fixtures surely he should have given us our west tie at Cumnock that Saturday instead of giving us St Rochs which he could have saved for a mid week at a later date. Common sense really.

According to who ? It's not on the West Region website.

What an embarrassment. Amateur leagues are better organised. Outside looking in but it looks like you have a fantastic competitive league and are being held back by people who run in. If you joined pyramid you could still have your competitive league but be much better run.

2 hours ago, clash city rocker said:

Cups bugger everything up , let's just have 2 , Scottish and West and 30 game league season. In fact don't play Scottish ties at all during Winter months. Then you could have a fixture list.. 

Just an idea but in the seniors they have the Prectofac cup or whatever its called, could it maybe be an idea to have the Central and Ayrshire Cups only for teams that actually play in the Central and Ayrshire leagues as in the districts and not the super leagues?

At least one of the cups has to go though if the league reconstruction plans are to go through though.

As an example lets assume it was in place this season and Talbot win their West quarter and semi. This would mean their fixtures are set until the Junior Cup final.

This would leave them three weeks to play 11 league games, a possible two Ayrshire cup games and a possible two evening times cup games. So 15 games in three weeks, this is impossible.

(The 11 league games comes about because we currently have 4 games to play but Troon is already scheduled so three after the Junior Cup final plus the extra 8 that expanding the league will bring)

I know this has been said before but surely they should try to get as many league games (especially Super Premier) out the way in July/August/September and play the league cup games over winter.

A few reasons for this:

1 - players are fresher in August and generally speaking clubs will have less injury worries so 2 or 3 games a week will be easier to handle. You also won't have any of the normal fallouts that happen most seasons where players leave clubs or are dropped so the squads would be better equipped to handle it.

2 - cup games (especially league cup) would be a good money spinner during winter. You may be able to get more games on that would be potentially questionable due to conditions as League games with managers/referees able to agree what is acceptable (outwith safety concerns obviously).

3 - allows teams to focus on the big cups after Christmas as they aren't worried about trying to squeeze games in.

Flip side to this though, and this is where I have sympathy with the fixtures man, is that smaller clubs need to make money through attendance and with smaller teams more likely to be out of the big cups sooner they will have cash flow issues. At the same time the clubs with a backlog of games are generally a victim of their own success.

24 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I know this has been said before but surely they should try to get as many league games (especially Super Premier) out the way in July/August/September and play the league cup games over winter.

A few reasons for this:

1 - players are fresher in August and generally speaking clubs will have less injury worries so 2 or 3 games a week will be easier to handle. You also won't have any of the normal fallouts that happen most seasons where players leave clubs or are dropped so the squads would be better equipped to handle it.

2 - cup games (especially league cup) would be a good money spinner during winter. You may be able to get more games on that would be potentially questionable due to conditions as League games with managers/referees able to agree what is acceptable (outwith safety concerns obviously).

3 - allows teams to focus on the big cups after Christmas as they aren't worried about trying to squeeze games in.

Flip side to this though, and this is where I have sympathy with the fixtures man, is that smaller clubs need to make money through attendance and with smaller teams more likely to be out of the big cups sooner they will have cash flow issues. At the same time the clubs with a backlog of games are generally a victim of their own success.

1. Junior squads are generally not finalised until a few weeks into the season. Sectional cup games are used for trialists, most of whom don't get signed. Lets say a player is on trial at Talbot but doesn't get signed- he may then join a super first or district league side and a player who is hoping to stay senior but doesn't get signed may then sign for a junior club so there is still a lot of movement a few weeks into the season.

2. League cup games don't attract big crowds, that is a fact. Referees are too afraid of being sued, if a pitch is unsafe the game is off, there is no leeway.

3. Games still have to be played, There is the same amount of games and the same amount of weeks so there will still be a backlog

14 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

1. Junior squads are generally not finalised until a few weeks into the season. Sectional cup games are used for trialists, most of whom don't get signed. Lets say a player is on trial at Talbot but doesn't get signed- he may then join a super first or district league side and a player who is hoping to stay senior but doesn't get signed may then sign for a junior club so there is still a lot of movement a few weeks into the season.

2. League cup games don't attract big crowds, that is a fact. Referees are too afraid of being sued, if a pitch is unsafe the game is off, there is no leeway.

3. Games still have to be played, There is the same amount of games and the same amount of weeks so there will still be a backlog

I have watched loads of sectional league cup games through the years and don't recall my own team or teams we are playing using loads of trialists usually its guys you see all throughtout the season one or two maybe but this for me is bit of a myth.

My own teams league cup games at the start of the season attracted decent crowds and the final was very well attended

8 minutes ago, rednblack said:

I have watched loads of sectional league cup games through the years and don't recall my own team or teams we are playing using loads of trialists usually its guys you see all throughtout the season one or two maybe but this for me is bit of a myth.

My own teams league cup games at the start of the season attracted decent crowds and the final was very well attended

Just looked at Talbot's team lines for the league cup this season. There were 4 trialists involved. Three didn't get signed,one did but left after a few weeks

Archived