Theresa May Statement - 11:15

ICTChris

Just now, renton said:

Depends. Tactical voting didn't work out last time, but with an actual threat of a referendum on the table, would the various Unionist parties get out of each other's way this time?

Doubt they would fail to stand candidates in any of the constituencies, but the SNP will almost certainly lose a few seats due to tactical voting.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, renton said:

Depends. Tactical voting didn't work out last time, but with an actual threat of a referendum on the table, would the various Unionist parties get out of each other's way this time?

She'll turn it into a Brexit vote, could increase her mandate .

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Can't help but feel if there was going to be an election it should've been before the Article 50 notification was handed over. Other than an attempt to utterly bury the Labour party, it seems a bit pointless now, really. 

Another calculation: If the SNP lose seats at Westminster, can it  be used as a bulwark against another referendum up here?

Another calculation: If the SNP lose seats at Westminster, can it  be used as a bulwark against another referendum up here?

Would be quite funny to see Yoons celebrating wildly if snp drop to a mere 50 seats [emoji23] can't imagine carmichael will relish another ge....or indeed Dugdale immediately after the council election gubbing. Could slab be wiped out completely? ?

Of course it will... seat decrease and all that nonsense. Due to the FPTP system now benefiting SNP.. Nicola should stand in manifesto of majority of Seats (ala what thatcher said) and UDI. We would be independent by 9th June

5 minutes ago, renton said:

That would be my worry. It would be lovely to see the SNP make a clean sweep but I don't think that will happen.

From a Scottish perspective this is a vote on Independence pure and simple.  In UK terms I predict a Tory majority on a popular vote of <40%; FPTP in this day and age is a disgrace.

As an aside, I wonder what the Tory mainfesto commitment on the EU will be.

Sure it's been mentioned but it's astonishingly hypocritical to deny indyref 2 on the grounds of potential instability to then call her own snap GE literally a month later. 

Precisely. She's has destroyed any possible argument against indyref2. There's no reason to even call a ge at this point in time.

It's utterly pathetic that, thanks to Jeremy Corbyn there isn't a meaningful opposition party at Westminster.

I know it will never happen but I would really like to see a coalition party formed from all those who voted against Brexit - if that was to involve the SNP so much the better - even if it meant taking Indyref2 off the table for maybe up to 5 years.

Archived