Queen of the South -vs- Dumbarton

Just win this Sons, eh?

Absolutely massive game for us, and it realistically couldn't be much harder given our record at Palmerston. We no doubt used up our once every three seasons win in the game in December.

I hope Stevie changes things about a wee bit, I wouldn't be averse to us going back to a team similar to the one that defeated Raith 4-0, with Stanton playing deeper alongside Carswell. Would stick with Vaughan, Berba and Stirling as 3 of the front 4, but then would like to see SeaGal in to give us a bit of width. He's been harshly treated with his lack of game time imo.

Alan Martin

David Smith Darren Barr Gregor Buchanan Daniel Harvie

Stuart Carswell Sam Stanton

Calum Gallagher Lewis Vaughan Andy Stirling

Robert Thomson

McCrorie is a good athlete, ridiculous in the air, quick, strong, runs forever but he's wasteful on the ball and looks panicky. Stanton in the deeper role seemed to work as it let him do that wriggling through tight gaps thing he does so effectively. Also allows us to play him and Vaughan (two of our most naturally exciting and talented players) in the same team, without one being shunted out wide.

Hopefully the players realise the importance of this, and are right up for it after such a flat performance last week.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the Queens players can put the defeat to Hibs on Saturday behind them and can show the home crowd some good passing flowing exciting attacking play like the games recently against Ayr and Dundee utd. Hopefully Del will be back in the starting line up, and with Dunfermlines tough fixture against Falkirk we can regain 5th place come 5pm.

Hell of a place to go when you really need a result :unsure: Hopefully 'Del' will not be back in the starting lineup.

Like the look of S08's line up above, I just wonder whether we might look to push one or two further forward if we're drawing with 20 to play. Can the Sons settle for a point here?

We have contributed to helping teams stay up in the past. See us scoring late to save Alloa and losing to Livingston to keep them up two seasons ago. This feels like the kind of game where Dumbarton will lose comfortably leading to their fans being down about their chances of staying up before they go on and smash both United and Falkirk to finish 7th.

I'll take a dull draw and continue to wait for this shitfest of a season to end.

11 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Hell of a place to go when you really need a result :unsure: Hopefully 'Del' will not be back in the starting lineup.

Like the look of S08's line up above, I just wonder whether we might look to push one or two further forward if we're drawing with 20 to play. Can the Sons settle for a point here?

An away draw at Palmerston normally wouldn't be a bad result for us, depends how other results pan out though. Would really like to win & be masters of our own destiny tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Naysmith decides to give some fringe youngsters a run in the remaining games, I'm sure he said it would be a possibility once the Hibs game was out of the way. Looks like he will take 5th if we can but doesn't give the impression he would be too bothered as long as we stay safe. If Del isn't fit I would like to see Hilson partner Dobbie up front but I doubt it will happen as they lack height and that's doesn't suit Naysmith's hoofball preference. If Dykes plays he really needs to show a bit more effort and willingness during games, watching him amble through games is very frustrating. Maybe Hibs were just too good for him to play against and he can do a better job against teams near the bottom of the table. I don't know why Atkinson was out of the squad for the Hibs game but I wouldn't be upset if he got a start. For me this......

Atkinson

Mercer Higgins Brownlie Marshall 

Thomas Jacobs Thomson Carmichael

Dobbie.   Hilson (Lyle if fit)

Guest Flash
4 hours ago, Consolidate said:

Hell of a place to go when you really need a result :unsure: 

Not really. Our defence has spent the entire season donating goals to the opposition. Only Ayr have conceded more goals at home. Over the last 7 months, we have conceded an average of 2 goals a game at Palmerston. Wouldn't be the first time that our strikers haven't been able to make up for the deficiencies at the back.

Eta just to try to help out the Count, I make it 17 league goals conceded from set-pieces and 3 in the cups, so 20 overall. Plus 4 penalties. 

Hopefully the Queens players can put the defeat to Hibs on Saturday behind them and can show the home crowd some good passing flowing exciting attacking play like the games recently against Ayr and Dundee utd. Hopefully Del will be back in the starting line up, and with Dunfermlines tough fixture against Falkirk we can regain 5th place come 5pm.

Lets all hope so.

Another massive game for us this, but so was Saturday and we seemed to wither there, so...

I can't say I'm in agreement with the suggested inclusion of Gallagher. Granted he's not had much action, but when I have seen him, he's not shown enough to make me think there's much more to come from him. It'd be a gamble and not one I think we should take, such is our desperate need for points.

Whoever plays though, the pressure is on to turn in a performance against a side we have struggled against in recent years, three points here is pretty much a must otherwise we could really be in the brown stuff come dinnertime on Saturday.

Dumbarton remain one of two Championship clubs he hasn't scored against this season (the other being, and will remain, Morton).

He doesn't really need to score against us. We know how good he is. There's no need for him to point it out by scoring against us on Saturday. Same goes for all other members of the QOS team tbh.

16 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Has he scored against you? ;)

Well, no. :lol:

Fair point. I may be wrong but I don't think he's ever scored against us even for any other team. In fairness I suspect he only played against us for St Johnstone once or twice.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dumbarton remain one of two Championship clubs he hasn't scored against this season (the other being, and will remain, Morton).

That's because he loves the Sons.

22 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Has he scored against you? ;)

Not yet, a rogue back-pass making it's way into the goal this weekend is on the cards though.

In all seriousness, they don't come much bigger than this game. Lose and I fail to see how we avoid the play-offs, with a good possibility of going down in 10th. Win and hopefully gives us a bit of breathing space, but I think we'll need 6 points from our last 9 to be sure. I'd start Nade and get Thommo back out wide. Not that I think Thommo has done a bad job up there, but he is more effective coming in off the left and Nade gives the team an all round better shape IMO (also Lewis Vaughan is not wide player, play him centrally or don't play him at all). Having said that, I genuinely don't care if Kit Man Colm starts up front, as long as we score a goal and Queens don't. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That's because he loves the Sons.

Not yet, a rogue back-pass making it's way into the goal this weekend is on the cards though.

In all seriousness, they don't come much bigger than this game. Lose and I fail to see how we avoid the play-offs, with a good possibility of going down in 10th. Win and hopefully gives us a bit of breathing space, but I think we'll need 6 points from our last 9 to be sure. I'd start Nade and get Thommo back out wide. Not that I think Thommo has done a bad job up there, but he is more effective coming in off the left and Nade gives the team an all round better shape IMO (also Lewis Vaughan is not wide player, play him centrally or don't play him at all). Having said that, I genuinely don't care if Kit Man Colm starts up front, as long as we score a goal and Queens don't. 

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Vaughan is a very decent player, he's popped up with a few crucial goals and when played centrally he'll kill teams - but he's not a winger. His goals in recent weeks have covered the fact that he doesn't look hugely comfortable out there, and that he's almost nullified Stanton by drifting inside. 

He is one of the few players we have capable of creating a goal out of nothing though, so I'd like to see him continue to start. 

Archived