Queen of the South -vs- Dumbarton

Naysmith's podcast after the game was spot on he admitted he maybe didn't select correct team/formation held his hands up! But couldn't excuse the players for a very poor performance one he will not expect as he said the least the could do for him was show some effort and determination. He seems a very committed passionate manager who wants his players to play the same way as he did as a player, as he said the players may not be world beaters by any means but the least the could do was show a bit effort, the let the whole club down including the paying fans.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Great highlights as always.

As I thought Mcmanus was too easily beaten for not only the first goal but the second as well, he doesn't do anywhere near the enough to stop nade crossing.

Seeing it again I'm not sure Robinson could have done much with the free kick, it's a great strike over the wall and dips under the bar. However, Thomsons header is straight at him, maybe he could have done better with that.

Dobbie really should have had a hat trick though. The one that comes off the post first half is a much easier chance than it looked at the time and, although it's great defending, he really should be scoring when played through in the second half.

First chance I've had to see the highlights since they were posted. I have plenty of sympathy for McManus on the first goal. Jacobs is the one beaten in the first instance and, because he's out of position, McManus goes to track Vaughan out wide then suddenly has to change direction when he sees Stanton running towards him at pace. He's off balance and Stanton goes past him easily before Rankin just trips him to stop him. It's a cracking hit. I didn't blame the keeper or wall or it at the time and I'm not inclined to do so now having seen it again.

McManus does certainly allow Nade to put the cross in for the second goal far too easily. He's at fault there, though no more so than Marshall for losing the ball in the first place out by the touchline. I stand by the suggestion that McManus was easily our best passer on the day though and his long perfect crossfield pass to Dobbie is at the root of our goal too. The comparison someone made yesterday with Hutton isn't really valid. As much as I probably over-rated Hutton's neat and tidy contributions last season, a forward pass was something other people did to him. McManus spent most of the first half at least yesterday picking out some excellent forward passes, both short and long. Considering it was his first start for the club I thought there were a lot of positives in it.

Agree that Robinson could have done better with Thomson's header. It's powerful but he doesn't react to it at all.

Hilson doesn't touch the one that hits the post in the first half, though his attempt to do so is what distracts Martin from saving it. Dobbie should score with the rebound. He should also have scored when clean through but it's a terrific tackle from McCrorie. It probably was a moving ball but credit to Rankin for seeing it and playing it.

Naysmith's podcast after the game was spot on he admitted he maybe didn't select correct team/formation held his hands up! But couldn't excuse the players for a very poor performance one he will not expect as he said the least the could do for him was show some effort and determination. He seems a very committed passionate manager who wants his players to play the same way as he did as a player, as he said the players may not be world beaters by any means but the least the could do was show a bit effort, the let the whole club down including the paying fans.

I thought it was another poor showing from Naysmith tbh. He spent the majority of it slating the players again. Occasionally throwing in a "a could have got it wrong tactically": there's no "could" about it Gary, you did.

He keeps persisting with the public slating of them and he'll soon lose them. Sometimes the players are the problem but I've noticed a pattern for weeks now whereby we lose a goal and look completely clueless from then on. It happened again yesterday and it goes deeper than the players IMO.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You realise he was on the bench yesterday, yes?

He certainly isnt ready to start but hopefully he will get some minutes before the season ends.

Yes, I knew he was listed. Maybe getting him out of the treatment room and into the open air after the last frost is part of our 5 year plan. Your comment could have been written at any time BEFORE we signed the guy. He has had an appalling time with injury in recent years. I am not unsympathetic but in terms of putting a squad together for next season, I rate him as an untried player, given the number of 90 minute appearances he has made for us. Secondly, I think he is a very high risk. Shame for the player but I am not convinced he is worth the risk for another season.

Was going to post last night and suggest that the Manager would no doubt blame the players again.  I decided to wait and listen to his comments before posting - no surprises there !

I totally agree with 19QOS19 on this.  Week after week he comes out with the same old stuff but I think he is the problem.

No doubt, we are low on quality at the moment but that is not the only issue.   As it was Cup Semi day yesterday my mind wandered back 9 years.  At that time we had an ageing team but the quality and desire were unquestionable.   A central defensive partnership with no pace and not greatly skilled on the deck but who knew how to defend and would put their bodies on the line to stop danger and keep the ball out.    A solid and skilful midfield with Burns providing the energy and legs to complement the less mobile Tosh and Mcfarlane who provided both skill and bite.

No, we don't have that quality anymore but I blame the Manager for not getting the best out of what he has got.

He did make reference several times, it is true, regarding his own culpability - " I prepared the players the best I could" , "I may have prepared them wrongly tactically" - and said he would take time  to analyse it after his anger had subsided.

I am sure most of us could do that for him and could have long before the game was finished yesterday.

The shape of the team was all wrong. Marshall was 'bombing on' most of the time which left us exposed defensively on our left and we had no attacking threat on the right at all.  several times I saw players look to go that way only to find there was no-one there to take a pass.  That's not the players fault that is down to selection and formation by the Manager.

Jacobs is a decent player but he is NOT a RB why keep playing him there, he is a liability ?  Is Mercer not fully fit or is he considered not up to it - he was Naysmith's signing so some culpability there too.   After a bright start his other signings of  Rankine, Thomas and Thomson have all been very disappointing.

I could not believe we started with no wingers. Is Carmichael not fit ? If he is then he should be starting - ON THE RIGHT.  The  Manager eventually, in my eyes , got the formation right with 15 to go - far, far too late - with Dan on the right and Thomas on the left but we had pretty much given up by then.

We miss Lyle big-time.  As I have said many times he has the skill and football brain to link with Dobbie and they bring the best out in each other.  For that partnership not to have been selected when fit and available is dreadful management.

I do not trust this Management team to take us forward and build a squad to seriously compete for a top 4 place next season.  Sadly, for financial reasons I do not think they will be binned at the end of the season but I wish there was a way that could happen.   We will probably wait until October/November time if things are not going well.

Don't get me wrong, I hope I am completely wrong as I want to see QOS doing well and prospering.

I find Naysmith a very negative character in every respect - how he presents, how he delivers verbally, his body language and how he sets up his teams ! He does not come across as either inspirational or motivational.

Not really sure what to say after that abismmal performance yesterday. Ok until we scored then I think quite a few thought that was it and time to think about their summer hols. We don't half miss the tan man.

Only positive is Dobbie notching again.

Who would you blame for this shambles of a season?

That's a tough one. The manager picks the team and formation but the chairman (and bod) hire the manager.

For me the jury is still out. Let's see what Naysmith can do in the first half of next season with a pre-season and squad overhaul under his belt.

I thought it was another poor showing from Naysmith tbh. He spent the majority of it slating the players again. Occasionally throwing in a "a could have got it wrong tactically": there's no "could" about it Gary, you did.

He keeps persisting with the public slating of them and he'll soon lose them. Sometimes the players are the problem but I've noticed a pattern for weeks now whereby we lose a goal and look completely clueless from then on. It happened again yesterday and it goes deeper than the players IMO.

I say it again but we appointed a young Manager on a long term deal who generally talks a good game but whose results and equally importantly the performances don't match the rhetoric. I fully appreciate that it is a gamble putting faith in an inexperienced Manager but surely we could and should have given him a contract till the end of this season. That may well have been unattractive for him but every time there is a full time managerial vacancy in Scotland there is a queue the length of Princes Street with individuals desperate to get the nod. I understand that GN may have said "not for me" in these circs and that is his prerogative but we are now backed into a real corner.

It may be of course that GN can transform our squad in the close season and he will argue "judge me when I can shape my own squad". If he has signed Andy Stirling that is a positive start but we have to hope that our style of play gets a lot better.

McManus actually passed the ball really well yesterday and let's be honest that has been a rare commodity this season. I still don't get the Thomas on right Danny on left scenario but it is probably academic because Thomas will presumably return to Well and it remains to be seen whether Danny is here next season or not.

I say it again but we appointed a young Manager on a long term deal who generally talks a good game but whose results and equally importantly the performances don't match the rhetoric. I fully appreciate that it is a gamble putting faith in an inexperienced Manager but surely we could and should have given him a contract till the end of this season. That may well have been unattractive for him but every time there is a full time managerial vacancy in Scotland there is a queue the length of Princes Street with individuals desperate to get the nod. I understand that GN may have said "not for me" in these circs and that is his prerogative but we are now backed into a real corner.

It may be of course that GN can transform our squad in the close season and he will argue "judge me when I can shape my own squad". If he has signed Andy Stirling that is a positive start but we have to hope that our style of play gets a lot better.

McManus actually passed the ball really well yesterday and let's be honest that has been a rare commodity this season. I still don't get the Thomas on right Danny on left scenario but it is probably academic because Thomas will presumably return to Well and it remains to be seen whether Danny is here next season or not.

You need to be a board member ,Seriously,you understand the game .

12 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not to put a downer on it but Stirling was Useless for the first half of the season. He has came on to a game since Christmas, so if you do sign him and he continues his form great but he could also start turning out start of season performances.

Firstly well done to Dumbarton, worthy of the win. Hope you avoid the drop.  Naysmith in the papers accepting that, as manager, the blame stops with him then goes on to slate the players. Despite his comments that he publicly sticks up for his players he has a habit of criticism them after poor results or performances.

It's his choice to continue playing "Coco the Clown" in goals. He' taken our best midfielder and moved him to right back thereby weakening two positions. He's signed Rankin and Mercer on two year deals and imo neither are fit for purpose. He has brought in a couple of good loanees in Thomas and Thomson yet chops and changes formation, moving them about or putting them on the bench. He hasn't addressed the central defensive problem which has been evident even before he came in. He has been unlucky with injuries, especially to Lyle, and he is hampered that Lyle's replacement Dykes is another who's not good enough for this level. On several occasions since he's come in Naysmith played Dobbie as a lone striker even when he had someone fit enough to partner him up front. That didn' t work either. I quite liked the starting line-up on Saturday, true it lacked height up front but that encouraged more passing and movement on the deck, less hoofball, which was good to watch. That didn't last however as we resorted to the preferred tactic of long balls punted up to hopefully be knocked on.

At least we're safe for another season, more thanks to results elsewhere, but I fear next season will be another battle at the wrong end of the table.

Archived