Queen of the South -vs- Dumbarton

Firstly well done Dumbarton. I don't think they deserve to go down on the evidence of what I have seen this season.

Sadly for us we may face the prospect of another long period with GN at the helm. Inevitably you will get games like that especially when your opponents are desperate for a result but there have been far too many games like that where we have simply been awful. Dobbie has singlehandedly saved us from the bottom two - without him I have no doubt that we would have been 9th at best.

Very few pass marks today - Jacobs had a nightmare and surely that RB experiment is at an end. I am very much against the holding midfield role because for me that individual ends up playing as a quasi centre back spraying an endless supply of neat and tidy "square balls".To be fair McManus passed the ball well unlike Joe Thomson whose ability to run all day is not matched by good technical ball control and basic passing. As predicted Thomas on the right is becoming very easy to defend against and his early effectiveness is on the wane (albeit he was only a second half sub).

We have several players signed for next season and for me if Dykes, Jacobs, Brownlie, Mercer and Rankine are all regulars next season we will be in big trouble. I hope Dobbie doesn't injure his shoulder any time soon as he may have to carry the team again unless Manager can unearth some quality.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Massive rebuilding job in the summer not convinced with Naysmith signings so far either hope he can bring in a good quality players in the summer. The board needs to trust and back him or we will start the season trying to avoid relegation! Clear out Starting at the back with a new Goalkeeper (get rid of the clown Coach) 2 central defenders a right back couple of wingers upfront we have Dobbie, Lyle give Aiden a chance and ano. Bye bye Robinson, Hammil, Dowie, Higgins, Carmichael, Hilson & Dykes who's not as good as he thinks he is! Time up move on.

I see where you're coming from but I still think Carmichael might be worth keeping.

Apart from today Jacobs has played well at right back but we definitely miss him in midfield. Stanton and Vaughan in particular were picking the ball up and running at our back four - I dont think that would have happened with Jacobs in the midfield. I'd like to see it again, but why was Rankin trying to tackle from behind when McManus was the holding midfielder?
The fact that Jacobs is at right back says more about our other right backs than anything else

He gifted Dundee United a goal at right-back as well. Ably assisted by our kamikaze goalkeeper.

Mercer and Hamill have both had more good games at RB than bad. The same can't be said about Jacobs.

Great opening 15 mins led to utter drivel for the rest of the game. Much as I admire St Mirren's ballsy fight since January, I am glad they lost today for I can see us gaining not a single point from now on. What an up and down season it's been. Good displays ( eg. V Arabs and Ayr) interspersed with utter shapeless, clueless garbage.

I am definitely not going to Falkirk to watch Robinson again line up a wall ineptly, stand behind it, and let in a straight shot at the side he is meant to be defending. Is he after some personal record? There is one huge rebuilding job on this summer or we are going to be well up against it. Gary Naysmith - good luck with that. Ruthless chairman  may give him until Christmas to show some play-off consistency. Dobbie apart, I am not convinced that we have any players capable of such a run at the moment.

Good luck Dumbarton, unlike Queens in such a position, we would have sat in and defended our box for the second half. You guys continued to play and we created virtually nothing in the second 45 and your keeper could have taken an early bath.

Couldn't make the game today but absolutely delighted with the result. 

Although in other news, I appear to have travelled back in time to about 2013. I was updating the Sons Archive and entered Allan Johnston as QoS manager. I only realised when I saw Naysmith mentioned on this thread! #oops

Aside from the result today, I always enjoy a trip to Palmerston. There's a friendly atmosphere around the place, from the wee lady selling tickets (which are probably the best priced in the league) right through to the Queens fans who seem like a good bunch. None of your St Mirren-esque running down the front to abuse players for yard stealing there. 

You get a smashing view of the pitch, right up close, the stewards aren't seething, bitter power Nazis, the programme is well researched and written (not that I'd expect poor research from a team with SD in their ranks) and the sausage rolls are quality. Basically you are selling a steak pie away from the perfect away day.

It would probably be one of the very few grounds in the league I'd genuinely miss if we go down.

The fact we appear to have discovered how to win there is now merely an additional bonus.

Am still fizzing from our point of view and I don't want to comment on GN for fear of saying something I shouldn't but I must say part of me is happy Dumbarton got a result today. Definitely a side I want to stay in the division and results certainly went their way today. Hopefully they keep it up for the next two games.

If Falkirk wrap up 2nd spot next weekend they may well rest key players in the last game against you. There's no reason why you can't get a result at Tannadice as Utd are guff and given we are away to Falkirk that's that result sewn up!

I realise it was his first game but can't agree with anyone saying McManus was decent. Slow and ponderous and a few diagonal balls can't cover the fact the dumbarton midfield ran right through him on numerous occasions. Rankin and McManus in centre midfield was like Millar and Pickard mark 2.

Sooo....Last week it was pointed out that this chap doesn't post after a victory. Sure enough not a peep from him yet, so I thought I'd just stick up what he said last week in the hope it might entice him back. Especially after Thomson put enough another fantastic performance, and Nade grabbed an assist for the winner.

On 2017-4-15 at 19:37, patchh333 said:

Don't be a tit. Said it at the start of the season and stick by it. Under Aitken we will go down

On 2017-4-15 at 18:05, patchh333 said:

I said a while back that mr Aitken was not the man for the job and got slated on here for it, are the people who slated me still saying he is ? For a reason only known to mr Aitken he has some issue with playing Fleming which looks like it will come back to bite him on the arse as Fleming is always a better bet for a goal than what he puts on the park, nade's first stint at the club was excellent and showed how good a striker he was, but this time round looks a bit slower and not as aggressive , Thomson tries his best every week with some success but at no point can I remember him not starting which suggests he is first choice striker at the club and merits s start week in week out, not sure of his goal tally for the season, maybe someone can tell me but it must be very good for mr Aitken to play him every week. With 3 tough games to go it's hard to see us getting many if any more points which I fear will lead us to the devision below

I thought we were very disciplined today and managed the game well in the second half. Danny Harvie falling over in the corner to win a free kick being an example, Lewis cleverly winning a throw in when under pressure another. I think he hates Raith you know.

Stanton was quiet I thought right up to the run and foul he scored from. Looked a cracker and I hope theres a video of it.

Nades cross for Tommos goal was our best delivery of the day, exactly the sort of ball a striker wants.

Lewis Vaughan was probably our best player though they all played well. Only criticism would be McRorie being exposed repeatedly in the first half, I think Stirling could have done more to help.

Has the gaffer signed the new deal yet?

I wasn't there (I rarely am), but seeing the result I felt a real sense of apathy. As others have said, it's nice to see Dumbarton a bit closer to safety, I do hope you guys stay up.

I'm not looking forward to the next 2 years under GN. I feel we're going to waste the time we have left with the genius that is Dobbie in our side by not having anyone even competent around him.

That has to be the worst game I have seen at Palmerston all season, and who in there right mind gave Dykes a two year contract, if there's not a serious clean out and some decent players brought in, we will go down next year, heard that the Dumbarton number 22 will be signing for Queens, hope this is true, as he looked a decent player.

That has to be the worst game I have seen at Palmerston all season, and who in there right mind gave Dykes a two year contract, if there's not a serious clean out and some decent players brought in, we will go down next year, heard that the Dumbarton number 22 will be signing for Queens, hope this is true, as he looked a decent player.

Na.

He's a gid c**t, hates a tory.

Archived