Queen of the South -vs- Dumbarton

The second half was a non-event. Dumbarton held onto what they had very comfortably. Big win for The Sons, which will hopefully help to keep them up.

For us, it was an all too familiar performance. Despite the changes the same problems remain, begging the question do our problems go beyond the players?

Anyway a couple of observations.

Firstly, why are we persisting with the insanity of Jacobs at right-back? It smacks of a manager who doesn't want to drop one of our most consistent performers, but doesn't fancy him in midfield. I'd rather play Hamill than Jacobs, but surely the best option is to continue "blooding" the right back we've recently handed a 2 year contract to?

McManus I thought was okay. His ball retention was good and he played a couple of outstanding passes in the first half. He's pretty pedestrian though, very much in the Kyle Hutton mould, and I would question if we need a player like him in the side. Particularly if we are going to persist with Rankin.

Stating the obvious a bit here, but we are a far, far inferior team with Derek Lyle out of the side. Hilson's pace was a welcome addition to the team, but he's clearly rusty, and his footballing brain is non-existent in comparison to Dobbie or Lyle.

Another goal for Dobbie which takes him level with Cummings. The only thing keeping my interest at this stage. Today will likely be my last game of the season and I can't say I'm bothered.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive three points that. Absolutely smashing result, and the performance was just what we were hoping for.

Not a failure in our team today, but Stanton playing deeper was absolutely different class. Head and shoulders above everyone else on the park - gliding past players easily.

His goal was sublime. An absolute belter of a hit.

Mad how good Berba has been since he signed his PCA. Couldn't fault him at all. Felt Robinson should've kept the header out, but the cross from Nadé deserved a goal tbqh.

Queens sticking Robinson up for the late corner was great bantz.

I'd say we're safe from automatic relegation now, which also means we're almost guaranteed to finish above Ayr which is pleasing.

Big fortnight coming up, but those three points make everything look a lot brighter.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Same pish different week. We start decently and take the lead. We then concede from a set-piece (Again!) and afterwards look completely devoid of ideas. Another cross and another goal against. What the f**k is Naysmith doing at training? We haven't looked any better at defending crosses since he's came in.

Marshall will surely be subbed after an hour. The boy is playing LB and LM at the same time and is knackered. I've no idea what our formation is but our lack of width is shocking.

McManus is a complete waste of a signing. I've seen nothing to suggest he's better than Jacobs.

It was a midfield diamond with McManus deepest, Murray behind the front two and Rankin and Thomson left and right. It only lasted 45 minutes, though.

As Cammy said, an almost perfect microcosm of our season. Looked very comfortable early on but then lose two poor goals and completely fail to look like getting back into the game.

Presumably, Thomson took a knock in the first half? I can understand changing things at half time but not leaving McManus on at the expense of Thomson.

It really didn't matter how we did it, 3 points was all that was needed and that is a huge result. This team have no problems picking themselves up after a poor result, it's a great trait to have.

Well done to everyone, we're a bawhair away from keeping ourselves up without the use of a play-off yet again. Fucking get in there!

Thought Connor Murray showed a bit of promise today. Has a good first touch and a bit of pace about him. McManus in the first half was decent. Sprayed the ball around nicely. Faded badly second half though. Rankin was pish. He is so predictable. Hilson was excellent for the first twenty then just disappeared. Wouldn't mind seeing a few new centre backs in this summer. Brownlie and Higgins just lump it forward aimlessly whilst conceding cheap goals at the same time. Not a good combination. Dobbie must sometimes get frustrated with whats around him! When Lyles not their no one else is on his wavelength.

It really didn't matter how we did it, 3 points was all that was needed and that is a huge result. This team have no problems picking themselves up after a poor result, it's a great trait to have.
Well done to everyone, we're a bawhair away from keeping ourselves up without the use of a play-off yet again. Fucking get in there!

You probably weren't worthy of your lead at the time you took it. But the relative ease at which you saw the game out means in my eyes you probably deserved it.

It was no smash and grab.

Not sure what happened with the first goal - would like to see it again. The ball certainly went through the wall but not sure whether the wall parted or good work by Sons player in creating the space. Still think keeper should have had it covered but it didn't go in the corner but fairly central. The free kick was a bending away from the keeper but wasn't anyway near the post

32 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Presumably, Thomson took a knock in the first half? I can understand changing things at half time but not leaving McManus on at the expense of Thomson.

Really? I thought McManus was comfortably our best player on a bad day whilst Thomson had without a shadow of a doubt his poorest game for us. 

Best player on the park by an absolute mile was Sam Stanton though. He was outstanding, topped off by a top drawer free kick.

We started well, should probably have been in front before we did score and then should have scored again at 1-1 when Hilson's flick header hit the post (if he actually touched it) and Dobbie put the rebound over. Lost a cheap second goal to a back post header and never remotely looked like getting back in it after that. Second half was dreadful. Hope Dumbarton stay up though. Always a good trip. Good luck.

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The permutations for the last few fixtures are crazy. We can still finish bottom, 9th or as high as 5th.

Our run-in is a nightmare, but the biggest game of the season may well be Raith v Ayr on the final day.

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The permutations for the last few fixtures are crazy. We can still finish bottom, 9th or as high as 5th.

Our run-in is a nightmare, but the biggest game of the season may well be Raith v Ayr on the final day.

Aye, it's ridiculous. If we can grab 1 more win we'll be fine, but I'm hoping 1 point will be enough.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Really? I thought McManus was comfortably our best player on a bad day whilst Thomson had without a shadow of a doubt his poorest game for us. 

Best player on the park by an absolute mile was Sam Stanton though. He was outstanding, topped off by a top drawer free kick.

We started well, should probably have been in front before we did score and then should have scored again at 1-1 when Hilson's flick header hit the post (if he actually touched it) and Dobbie put the rebound over. Lost a cheap second goal to a back post header and never remotely looked like getting back in it after that. Second half was dreadful. Hope Dumbarton stay up though. Always a good trip. Good luck.

McManus looked good on the ball but I would have preferred Thomsons energy. I dont think playing wide suits him at all, even in a diamond. Not convinced about McManus defensively though and wouldnt have said he was any better than Jacobs or Tapping

I didn't think McManus was poor but I didn't think he was anywhere near our best performer. He did what he had to do in a tidy fashion but there were numerous pointless punts forward to no one (certainly not the only one guilty of it) and when he got the ball I thought he slowed it down to a snails pace. When Thomson was taken off we lost what energy there was in midfield.

It's not a dig at the boy but I just find him an utterly pointless signing. He doesn't do anything Jacobs can't and out with Dobbie I think our POTY is Jacobs. Why drop him to RB to replace him with an inferior player? Another ridiculous move by GN IMO.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I didn't think McManus was poor but I didn't think he was anywhere near our best performer. He did what he had to do in a tidy fashion but there were numerous pointless punts forward to no one (certainly not the only one guilty of it) and when he got the ball I thought he slowed it down to a snails pace. When Thomson was taken off we lost what energy there was in midfield.

It's not a dig at the boy but I just find him an utterly pointless signing. He doesn't do anything Jacobs can't and out with Dobbie I think our POTY is Jacobs. Why drop him to RB to replace him with an inferior player? Another ridiculous move by GN IMO.

Apart from today Jacobs has played well at right back but we definitely miss him in midfield. Stanton and Vaughan in particular were picking the ball up and running at our back four - I dont think that would have happened with Jacobs in the midfield. I'd like to see it again, but why was Rankin trying to tackle from behind when McManus was the holding midfielder?

The fact that Jacobs is at right back says more about our other right backs than anything else

Massive rebuilding job in the summer not convinced with Naysmith signings so far either hope he can bring in a good quality players in the summer. The board needs to trust and back him or we will start the season trying to avoid relegation! Clear out Starting at the back with a new Goalkeeper (get rid of the clown Coach) 2 central defenders a right back couple of wingers upfront we have Dobbie, Lyle give Aiden a chance and ano. Bye bye Robinson, Hammil, Dowie, Higgins, Carmichael, Hilson & Dykes who's not as good as he thinks he is! Time up move on.

Archived