Scottish football needs to change

3 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Look at other sports, cricket for example.

Not sure what example cricket has set? The novelty of Twenty20 (which is practically a different sport IMO) will wear off over time, and test cricket is still the be all and end all of the sport, despite its lack of popularity.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all, I'm sure want to keep the 'essence' of our game.

The competitiveness, aggression within the law, the tribalism of support etc.

But there needs to be more around that and it's not all down to money.

A bit of forward thinking, looking at the 'match day experience' and seeing where we are going wrong.

I was getting my head nipped to go and see the Glasgow Warriors. It's a great day out etc. Pish I said. Don't like rugby I said.

Went, what a day, loved it. Still don't like rugby but the match day experience was great.

If I wasn't a diehard Ayr fan, I'd go back and I will probably go back when the fixtures allow.

Spent money, they have more income from a tube like me.

Why can't football do the same at our level?

I don't know how the OP expects to improve the Scottish game without vast sums of money being pumped into it. Hopefully when the SPFL tell Sky to do one and BT pay more of a fair price we might see clubs being able to afford a better calibre of player across the leagues. 

I don't agree that Scottish football is dying, stagnated a bit perhaps but still has lots to be positive about.

But I would go for a change to a summer season  (Mar-Nov) with 2 divisions of 16 teams and a regional pyramid (including the Juniors) below. Something akin to the systems they've adopted in Norway and Sweden in the last 5-10 years....I see both have risen in the UEFA Coefficient rating too. Coincidence? 

Not sure what example cricket has set? The novelty of Twenty20 (which is practically a different sport IMO) will wear off over time, and test cricket is still the be all and end all of the sport, despite its lack of popularity.

Are you sure about that.

But we used to piss on the boots of major European clubs. Clubs that are now ruling the roost as they evolved and we stayed still. Dundee United ffs!

Twenty20 is gaining traction all over now and if it keeps up for long enough, will see the younger generation gravitate to it and therefore, set a long term chain of events. It's called evolution.

6 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I don't know how the OP expects to improve the Scottish game without vast sums of money being pumped into it. Hopefully when the SPFL tell Sky to do one and BT pay more of a fair price we might see clubs being able to afford a better calibre of player across the leagues. 

Whilst TV deals haven't died a death yet that fate could be in the post:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/11/10/young-people-switch-off-tv-sport-as-competition-for-attention-in/

3 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

It all boils down to what you want.

If you want the standard to improve then you need to start somewhere, it won't happen overnight.

If you want competitive leagues then you keep them small but does it help the standard?

If you are happy with the supporter numbers then leave it alone, if not then do something about it.

Evolve or die.

Look at other sports, cricket for example.

Look at all the other phone makers being led by Apple.

Look at all the hoovers that are bagels now, well done Dyson.

We need to evolve as a game.

Wee changes here and there are fine if overall the majority are happy but are they?

The majority of football supporters in Scotland are Celtic or Rangers fans, yes?

Scottish football is continually evolving either the style of play on the pitch to the leagues themselves, we've already had in the last 4 years more changes than in the previous 20 and hopefully for the best. I don't see much wrong with the current set up, not to keen on the playoff system between the Championship and the Premiership, its stacks the deck against the Championship clubs. I would prefer the same play off set up as between the other leagues. Summer football isn't practical especially if we have to compete for coverage with many of the major sporting events and besides it leaves behind bleak winters with little else to do.

45 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

So everyone on here that has posted so far is happy with the standard of football on show? Really? Are Dundee United fans happy to scrape a draw away to a turgid Ayr United team?

Where is the bench mark set - better than dog food? Less shite than our competition?

If you are all happy then I stand corrected.

It's not really a question of being "happy". In terms of overall quality, Scottish football has possibly never been at a lower ebb. However the idea that this will be solved by shoehorning a football season into "summer", something diddy amateur nations do, and enforcing needless full time status on clubs in a bizarre belief that this will make the players better somehow is simply ludicrous. It's a root and branch restructure of the grass roots of our game that's needed and will take at least a decade to show any results, not piddling about needlessly with the most public face of the game up here. It would be counterproductive to the big clubs so it won't happen anyway.

How many years since we have been at a major finals as a nation?

How many years since the old firm didn't win the league?

How many years since attendances have gone up?

How many countries in front of us now in the world standings?

We are a small nation proud of our football but I think we can do it better. Better for everyone involved.

We are so far behind leading countries in Europe now that we will never ever catch up so why don't we try to be the best of the rest.

If Kevin Bridges can fill the Hydro for 10 nights in a row, surely we can all fill our stadiums throughout a season but we have so much going against us to make that happen.

Weather, price, facilities, product on the pitch, match day experience, competition from other sources.

We can make little tweaks here and there and that is fine, but we are not going to fuel an upsurge in popularity by that are we?

This "evolve or die" nonsense that gets trotted out every so often really pisses me off as anyone who has paid any attention to the Scottish leagues over the last few years has seen increases in support and competitive leagues. I couldn't give a f**k about how we stack up against the English league or the rugby. Scottish football is far from dying and this thread seems spurned on mostly from OP having to endure a poor Ayr team this season. 

5 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

If Kevin Bridges can fill the Hydro for 10 nights in a row, surely we can all fill our stadiums throughout a season but we have so much going against us to make that happen.

QLFMjQU.png

So everyone on here that has posted so far is happy with the standard of football on show? Really? Are Dundee United fans happy to scrape a draw away to a turgid Ayr United team?

Where is the bench mark set - better than dog food? Less shite than our competition?

If you are all happy then I stand corrected.

It all boils down to what you do with the (sometimes limited) resources you have. Saints this season started with Rae' s dross and on what is basically the same budget are finishing playing some of the most exciting football we have seen since Hendrie or early Lennon. As a result the fans have responded and crowds (especially travelling) are better than for a good few years. This proves to me it's not the system that is at fault it's employing the right people to utilise what resources you have. Always a tendency to claim the whole system is broken when your own team is struggling.

This "evolve or die" nonsense that gets trotted out every so often really pisses me off as anyone who has paid any attention to the Scottish leagues over the last few years has seen increases in support and competitive leagues. I couldn't give a f**k about how we stack up against the English league or the rugby. Scottish football is far from dying and this thread seems spurned on mostly from OP having to endure a poor Ayr team this season. 

Are you happy with the standard of football on offer?

Are you happy with the price you pay every week?

Are you happy with your match day experience each week?

6 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Are you sure about that.

But we used to piss on the boots of major European clubs. Clubs that are now ruling the roost as they evolved and we stayed still. Dundee United ffs!

Twenty20 is gaining traction all over now and if it keeps up for long enough, will see the younger generation gravitate to it and therefore, set a long term chain of events. It's called evolution.

tbh I don't really care about what we have or have not achieved in the past especially at the top end that's on show. It is in the past, its what are we doing about the future. Get the youngsters playing football, get them interested and provide them with somewhere to play and I don't mean elite academies and these all weather pitches that you have to pay for the use of.

For a football daft nation we aren't half shooting ourselves in the foot by turning green areas into housing developments and forcing kids to have to pay for the privilege of something which in the past was free. Its harder to find the space to have a kick about and with no space kids find other interests away from the game. Makes me wonder how much potential greats have been lost over the last 30 years.

Problem is too many glory hunters that support Rangers and Celtic. Money needs to be distributed more evenly to have competitive league. Then maybe people will start supporting their local team.

11 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

How many years since we have been at a major finals as a nation?

How many years since the old firm didn't win the league?

How many years since attendances have gone up?

How many countries in front of us now in the world standings?

We are a small nation proud of our football but I think we can do it better. Better for everyone involved.

We are so far behind leading countries in Europe now that we will never ever catch up so why don't we try to be the best of the rest.

Weather, price, facilities, product on the pitch, match day experience, competition from other sources.

We can make little tweaks here and there and that is fine, but we are not going to fuel an upsurge in popularity by that are we?

Do you read the Daily Record?

Archived