The Famous Aberdeen European Tour 17/18

NorthernLights

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my fingers crossed that we have the home leg first in the First Qualifying round as I'll be in Spain when the second leg is due to be drawn.  Unless we manage to draw a side from Gibraltar.  Might be difficult to persuade the girlfriend that a 6 hour drive from where we'll be to there is a good idea though!  

• 2 weeks later...

I still feel that our decent record in QR2 is largely due to having had 180 minutes of fitba in QR1 (including the far from convincing efforts against Shkendija and Fola) in each season.

However, the length of time between the cup final and QR1 is a piss take - and I think we would get QR2 seeding this time - so hopefully we miss QR1 due to the efforts of Manyoo, Ajax or whoever.

Aye I feel better about skipping Qr1 knowing we are seeded for Qr2.

So it will be effectively the same hopefully. Warm up against a diddy and then face a strong team in Qr3 and hopefully cause an upset as it would be great to get to the playoff round for the first time in ten years 

2 hours ago, d31 said:

Man Utd will probably manage their end of the bargain so its all down to Feyenoord.

We are looking for them to win at home on Sunday

I thought we just needed Man Utd to finish 4th or lower and win the Europa League to skip QR1.  How do Feyenoord come into play exactly?

13 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I thought we just needed Man Utd to finish 4th or lower and win the Europa League to skip QR1.  How do Feyenoord come into play exactly?

Feyenoord winning the league stops Ajax going straight into Champions League. They sit 1 point ahead of Ajax with a game to play.

Worst case scenario is Ajax win the league and the Europa League - think that's the only way that Aberdeen won't skip a round unless United sneak into top 4 somehow.

So, if we make it into QR2 by some freak set of results, is this the first sign of our very slowly rising coefficient, having out performed our seeding for the last three years? Or is it a one-off and we'll  still be QR1 fodder forevermore?

No, where you enter the tournament is down to the country's coefficient. The cup winner's place was automatically Q2 in recent years so it's actually a sign of Scotland slipping down the rankings that we have to rely on other results going our way to enter at Q2. The fact that we will be seeded in Q2 is however a sign of our slowly rising coefficient

2 hours ago, kramer said:

No, where you enter the tournament is down to the country's coefficient. The cup winner's place was automatically Q2 in recent years so it's actually a sign of Scotland slipping down the rankings that we have to rely on other results going our way to enter at Q2. The fact that we will be seeded in Q2 is however a sign of our slowly rising coefficient

Our place in the country ranking hasn't actually changed much - indeed we're up to 23rd now, as high as it's been since 2011.

There's been progressive re-jigs to give the top countries slots direct into EL groups, and Gibraltar getting 1 slot (now 2) and now Kosovo, which has dragged more teams into QR1.

Archived