The Famous Aberdeen European Tour 17/18

NorthernLights

The Bosnian League system is really weird so Siroki Brijeg qualified by being top of the bottom six split. Kazakh league still running and are currently placed third. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd make Ordabasy favourites for this tie.

They are located in the far south of the country - only 75 miles over the border from the Uzbek capital, Tashkent - not sure if the visa situation makes transiting via there an option - but Kazakhstan itself is passport only.

Siroki Brijeg - small nationalist Croat town near Mostar, which is a UNESCO cultural city - and as a result full of bars, hotels etc.

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

I'd make Ordabasy favourites for this tie.

They are located in the far south of the country - only 75 miles over the border from the Uzbek capital, Tashkent - not sure if the visa situation makes transiting via there an option - but Kazakhstan itself is passport only.

Siroki Brijeg - small nationalist Croat town near Mostar, which is a UNESCO cultural city - and as a result full of bars, hotels etc.

Unless I'm mistaken I believe @Ivo den Bieman has spent a lot of time in Bosnia so maybe he'll have an idea about the team/town/travel? 

8 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Unless I'm mistaken I believe @Ivo den Bieman has spent a lot of time in Bosnia so maybe he'll have an idea about the team/town/travel? 

Only time I went there was on a day trip from Croatia - Mostar is just over the border (beautiful place, plenty going on). Drove through Siroki Brijeg on way back (remember it due to their fitba team) - it is staunch Croat nationalist territory in Hercegovina, but a small town that doesn't look worth staying in with Mostar so close by. 

Meh. If its Ordabasy, thats a hellish opening to the season - we'll need a couple of goals head start to take to Kazakhstan I reckon. Reverse of the Kairat tie when it was preferable to be away first (even though we didn't sneak through in the end).

1 hour ago, Menzel said:

The Bosnian League system is really weird so Siroki Brijeg qualified by being top of the bottom six split. Kazakh league still running and are currently placed third. 

They qualified by winning the Bosnia-Herzegovina FA Cup...

However as you say they finished top of the Bottom 6 in the league. I'd think their Kazakh opponents would be favourites.

22 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They qualified by winning the Bosnia-Herzegovina FA Cup...

However as you say they finished top of the Bottom 6 in the league. I'd think their Kazakh opponents would be favourites.

Ordabasy huge favourites I'd think.

Mid-season, stronger (richer) league, only 2pts behind Kairat - and having pumped Astana 3-0.

Only thing that may work in our favour is there's word it may be switched to Almaty............which is 400 miles away from Shymkent.

Guest JTS98

I went to watch Hearts play Siroki Brijeg in the CL qualifiers in 2006.

Flew to Spit, bus to Mostar. A couple of days in Mostar, which was quite enjoyable. Taxi from Mostar to the game and back. Then reverse the journey.

Was a great trip. Seems Siroki are second favourites, but if you play them I'd imagine you guys will enjoy going there.

48 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Ordabasy huge favourites I'd think.

Mid-season, stronger (richer) league, only 2pts behind Kairat - and having pumped Astana 3-0.

Only thing that may work in our favour is there's word it may be switched to Almaty............which is 400 miles away from Shymkent.

http://www.fcordabasy.kz/rus/club_news/886

As a result of the draw of the first and second qualifying rounds of the Champions League and the Europa League of the season-2017/18. In the first qualifying round of the Europa League Shymkent Ordabasy will meet with the Bosnian club Shiroki Brijeg. The first match will be held on June 29 in Almaty, the return match on July 6 in Shiroki Brijeg. Due to the non-admission of Shymkent stadium named after Kazhimukan Munaitpasov, the team will hold home matches of Ordabasy in the European League in Almaty.  In the second qualifying round of the Europa League, South-Kazakhstanis may meet with the Scottish "Aberdeen".

Terrible draw for us and very disappointing that it looks like we are travelling to Almaty again - always look forward to different places although Almaty is a lot easier to get to than Shymkent (28 hour journey on the way home looks the only way). Hopefully it is Siroki Brijeg as that looks a fantastic trip if not then its another trip to Almaty.

Did enjoy Almaty last time and the sports bar next to the ground was excellent :)

We had more expat dandies from the middle east and Caspian supporting us at that match, than we did folk from N.E.Scotland - especially given it was a fortnight after Rijeka.

Last time I used BA miles to get to Almaty via LHR, but I believe BA have stopped that flight (and all my airmiles have gone) - think there were various options via Moscow/Istanbul etc

Siroki Brijeg: imagine 1950s Oban run by clerical fascists and Nazi apologists, and you're somewhere close.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The Dons did well to avoid that even if it is a much more winnable tie than the one they got- Siroki are pish.

Archived