Dundee Utd vs St Mirren

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Except Saints didn't put the ball out which is why it was a drop ball, ya ding.

What was controversial about the second goal, apart from your keeper not knowing the rules?

Ah yeah, even worse.

Ref stopped play with us in possession – then you kept it on the restart.

On the second, of course the keeper knows the rules. He was under NO pressure, so clearly thought it wasn’t a back pass.

The ref did, but I’ve seen that kind of thing happen loads of times and the ref never blows for a foul.

Different if the only way he was preventing a goal was to handle it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Ah yeah, even worse.

On the second, of course the keeper knows the rules. He was under NO pressure, so clearly thought it wasn’t a back pass.

The ref did, but I’ve seen that kind of thing happen loads of times and the ref never blows for a foul.

If your memory of the drop ball is so hazy, I'm afraid I can't trust you on any other incident.

You are clearly making it up as you go along.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I for one am raging that the St Mirren player who took that blatant dive in the run up to Mikkelsen's goal hasn't been given a two game ban. Cheating of this nature should be stamped out imo

Mikkelsen clearly did his best to try and stamp it out at the time. Should probably get an award or something. 

I would like to see your reaction to a similar situation, should it happen to Utd in the play offs.
Charelston should not officiate another match at senior level after that performance. 

You'd like to see my reaction? Kinky...

As it is, I am a typical fickle football fan. Any 50/50 challenge that goes against United is a clear foul. Any 50/50 challenge that goes for United is a good healthy tackle.

My guess is that you are exactly the same.

5 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Ah yeah, even worse.

The keeper thought it wasn't a back pass because he was under no pressure?

images (94).jpg

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

If your memory of the drop ball is so hazy, I'm afraid I can't trust you on any other incident.

You are clearly making it up as you go along.

Or I've watched the video showing what happened...

13 hours ago, Dee Man said:

The keeper thought it wasn't a back pass because he was under no pressure?

images (94).jpg

No, I'll say it a bit more slowly... the keeper picked it up; if he thought there was any chance of it being a back pass then surely he'd only have handled it if he'd thought to do otherwise would have led to a goal. He wasn't under pressure, ergo, he didn't think it was a back pass.

The only other alternative reading of the situation is that he doesn't know that keepers can't handle back passes.

And I know he's young, and being coached by Jamie Langfield, but you've got to think he knows that rule?

No, I'll say it a bit more slowly... the keeper picked it up; if he thought there was any chance of it being a back pass then surely he'd only have handled it if he'd thought to do otherwise would have led to a goal. He wasn't under pressure, ergo, he didn't think it was a back pass.
The only other alternative reading of the situation is that he doesn't know that keepers can't handle back passes.
And I know he's young, and being coached by Jamie Langfield, but you've got to think he knows that rule?

I'm struggling to find the point you're trying to make here. It doesn't matter if he didn't think it was a pass back. It's not up to the referee to remind him of the rules during play. It's a lack of focus on the game. Concentration is a big part of a keeper's game and I'm sure he was told in no uncertain terms that lapses like this can cause critical errors.

2 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

I'm struggling to find the point you're trying to make here. It doesn't matter if he didn't think it was a pass back. It's not up to the referee to remind him of the rules during play. It's a lack of focus on the game. Concentration is a big part of a keeper's game and I'm sure he was told in no uncertain terms that lapses like this can cause critical errors.

My point was that the ref awarded this when at least one of the key players didn't even consider that it was an intentional back pass.

There was clearly no doubt in his mind that it was, otherwise he'd just have kicked it away or passed it (he was under no real pressure).

I've seen plenty of refs not give backpass fouls for things a lot more obvious than this (both for an against us).

I'm sure Billy will err on the side of caution from now on after this, but it's just a bit frustrating that after contributing to such an awful first goal, the ref didn't give us the benefit of the doubt on something like this.

Mind you. he's probably watched the footage again and thought he got it right :-)!

Mind you. he's probably watched the footage again and thought he got it right :-)!

Because it was the right call. Jack Ross also confirmed it was the right call on the radio after the game. Of all the decisions in the game it was probably one of the few that the referee got right.

Just now, stumigoo said:

Because it was the right call. Jack Ross also confirmed it was the right call on the radio after the game. Of all the decisions in the game it was probably one of the few that the referee got right.

Apologies, was referring to the first goal, not the second.

On 26/04/2017 at 22:35, Bobby_F said:

My point was that the ref awarded this when at least one of the key players didn't even consider that it was an intentional back pass.

There was clearly no doubt in his mind that it was, otherwise he'd just have kicked it away or passed it (he was under no real pressure).

I've seen plenty of refs not give backpass fouls for things a lot more obvious than this (both for an against us).

I'm sure Billy will err on the side of caution from now on after this, but it's just a bit frustrating that after contributing to such an awful first goal, the ref didn't give us the benefit of the doubt on something like this.

I've seen you mention this at least twice now and to be perfectly honest I think you are making it up in an attempt to reinforce your point.

In the hundreds, probably in the thousands, of football games that I have seen since the backpass rule came into force, I have never seen a ref ignore a backpass. You might have seen them waved away if it was debatable if it was actually a passback or not, but I very much doubt you have ever seen a ref give a keeper the benefit of the doubt because he thought the keeper didn't realise. 

Archived