Dundee Utd vs St Mirren

The stats say Tannadice is the hardest ground to visit in the Championship this season so, whatever their troubles on the road, Utd remain a force to be reckoned with on their own patch.

That would suggest on the face of it, as one of the Arabs has mentioned, that teams go there and sit in and eventually get punished for it, whereas when they are at home and go for it a bit more, Utd don't like it.

We won't sit in on Saturday as we don't have the players to play that way. We didn't do it at Celtic Park so we aren't going to do it at Tannadice.

I'd gladly take a point right now but don't see any reason why we can't go there and win.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Far to much pish posted by my fellow Saints fans, going to Tannadice and winning 3-0, 4-0...in each game this year utd have bossed us in 2nd half of each game and Jack Ross hasn't worked out how to counter that...has given Flood a free reign....i cant see anything but a Utd home win sadly...2-0.....3-1......Ross may have needed transfer window but took far to long to turn it around...had no impact at all to start with...

Is this a TC or LPM alias? Ross had shite to work with. Initially he dumped the ones he could and brought in our U20's. He had tactics and a formation. Performances improved and we looked like we at last knew what we were doing. It was only when he brought in his own players that results started to be included in the transformation. And I know plenty who had grave reservations about our imbalanced squad (over the hill and other team's U20s, no left sided defenders) when the season started.

11 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Expected some results even with squad he inheritated...when Rae signed most of the players most of us thought we had a decent squad...he had no impact at club for months...

You expected instant results with the fucking shambles that Rae left behind ?

I was one of the fans who didn't want Rae appointed in the first place.  He is a footballing dinosaur with a completely one dimensional hoof ball mentality.

The warning signs were there when he gave Clarkson another year and Shankland came back from Aberdeen with an arse the size of a small country. The squad was unbalanced and had no direction or leader. 

Jack Ross has given us an identity we haven't had for years, the fans players and management have all bought into what he's trying to build. We should all be grateful while it lasts, as he's destined for a bigger job in the future.

3 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Most Sainst fans were happy with players Rae signed and expected us to finish in the top four. When Hardie, Shankland signed along with others i thought decent strike force...Rae's tactics were poor and as it turns out most of his signings...just thought a new manager would maybe pick the players up quicker getting a few results. Can't fault Jack now as team playing well...fact is im still bottling it as could all go wrong, prob putting most of it down wrong on paper...

Unless you conducted a poll, and if you did you did not ask me, then you cannot say that 'most Saints fans' as you have no evidence of that conclusion.

I, and the guys I go to games with, were not happy with C Gallagher , Webster and Clarkson to be given new contracts as they had shown little to merit one. Langfield is another but we were not ecstatic about but he was already on contract. Walsh and Hardie had not done much before they signed so were unknown and Shankland was ok the previous season but nothing to suggest he would kick on. Hutton was another who was on paper, average at best (but turned out decidedly under average). Quinn looked ok. McKenzie looked a risk as he had only played a handful of games over the previous two seasons (but he has turned out to be excellent). Ben Gordon signed from relegated Livingston - an unknown and punted to Alloa in September. And John Sutton signed. And although very much in a minority I am not a great fan of Sutton as he does not score enough goals for me for a main striker.

We were hopeful that things would pan out but were concerned at too many average players, too few midfielders, too many untried youngsters and too many older players with injury histories. And no left back on the books. Unfortunately our reservations were confirmed and the squad was a lot worse than we had even anticipated. Jack had inherited a shambles of a squad of which there was a long injury list with young Baird being the only consistently fit centre half. Jack did the best he could with what he had but he had little to work with.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

There seems to be some sort of collective memory lapse here. We are playing St Mirren this weekend, lads. A few of their fans trying to portray the relegation battlers as the emperor's new football team.

Form is quite important.  They've got 21 points from their last 10 games; we've got 9.  Also I'm struggling to think the last time we played anything other than absolute pish.

Mind you football's a funny game and we've got a good home record so who knows.

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

There seems to be some sort of collective memory lapse here. We are playing St Mirren this weekend, lads. A few of their fans trying to portray the relegation battlers as the emperor's new football team.

Utd are no strangers to St Mirren in recent weeks, if its 4 midfielders v 4 midfielder, I can see St Mirren having an early impact, if that equals goals, I can see St mirren joining hibs in winning there. They have a softish defence tho, but Utd have a soft attack.

Seeing as I've a bet on away win, it'll be a draw, no doubt

Tough game. Could go either way but one I'm looking forward too. Hopefully an away win as Raith and Dumbarton keep digging out results. A win for Ayr could see them right back in it to. COYS[emoji209][emoji209][emoji209]

Unless you conducted a poll, and if you did you did not ask me, then you cannot say that 'most Saints fans' as you have no evidence of that conclusion.
I, and the guys I go to games with, were not happy with C Gallagher , Webster and Clarkson to be given new contracts as they had shown little to merit one. Langfield is another but we were not ecstatic about but he was already on contract. Walsh and Hardie had not done much before they signed so were unknown and Shankland was ok the previous season but nothing to suggest he would kick on. Hutton was another who was on paper, average at best (but turned out decidedly under average). Quinn looked ok. McKenzie looked a risk as he had only played a handful of games over the previous two seasons (but he has turned out to be excellent). Ben Gordon signed from relegated Livingston - an unknown and punted to Alloa in September. And John Sutton signed. And although very much in a minority I am not a great fan of Sutton as he does not score enough goals for me for a main striker.
We were hopeful that things would pan out but were concerned at too many average players, too few midfielders, too many untried youngsters and too many older players with injury histories. And no left back on the books. Unfortunately our reservations were confirmed and the squad was a lot worse than we had even anticipated. Jack had inherited a shambles of a squad of which there was a long injury list with young Baird being the only consistently fit centre half. Jack did the best he could with what he had but he had little to work with.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. When Rae assembled his squad, there were not the above toys out the pram stuff about the squad. It was only once Rocco Quinn got injured and no replacement signed did the discontent begin. I thought him signing Clarkson for another year was, at the time, a decent move. I couldn't have been more wrong - he's woeful. You missed his worst signing that diddy, Gallacher.

Making all these claims now is fair and well as we've all watched how it's panned out.

Jack Ross improved the performances but not the results up until January. Since then the turnaround has been brilliant.

Alex Rae is a useless manager, a dud. However no one was calling for his head last summer based on his signings. He's been squealing on the radio since that it wasn't his squad as he inherited some players. He's a shite manager.

10 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. When Rae assembled his squad, there were not the above toys out the pram stuff about the squad. It was only once Rocco Quinn got injured and no replacement signed did the discontent begin. I thought him signing Clarkson for another year was, at the time, a decent move. I couldn't have been more wrong - he's woeful. You missed his worst signing that diddy, Gallacher.

Making all these claims now is fair and well as we've all watched how it's panned out.

Jack Ross improved the performances but not the results up until January. Since then the turnaround has been brilliant.

Alex Rae is a useless manager, a dud. However no one was calling for his head last summer based on his signings. He's been squealing on the radio since that it wasn't his squad as he inherited some players. He's a shite manager.

I was asked if I was happy with the squad that started the season. I was optimistic (we all are at the start of any season), but not happy as I had great reservations about it at the time. I would have loved to have been proved wrong. But it was obvious after only a few games that Rae did not have a clue and the players we were hopeful about were not up to the task.

20 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Most Sainst fans were happy with players Rae signed and expected us to finish in the top four.

Smisa had their first bash on the first day of the league season (after the league cup games) , at the event Rae was grilled by several supporters about the obvious imbalance in the squad. He denied there was an imbalance , the supporters could see it but he couldn't ! Alarm bells were ringing from day 1 !

Kjell Olofsson is in Dundee so he might be seen at the game tomorrow (been a while since we've had a wee half time guest walkout).

Big K-Jel is one of my favourite ever United players [emoji173]

Big K-Jel is one of my favourite ever United players [emoji173]

Me too, I think that all of my all time favourites are Scandinavian. Siggi Jonsson is number one, then Pedersen, Kalvenes and of course Dillon(sson).

Tannadice certainly hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us in recent years, we've lost our last 5 games there and that run of defeats goes back to 2012.  Could really do with ending that tomorrow, another loss and there's a good chance we will end the day in 9th.

Just looking at our last fixture up there on Christmas Eve, Dundee Utd were top of the league at the half way stage after beating us that day, two points clear of Hibs.  Season's fair went to shit for them since then.

Still though, have to make them favourites for tomorrows game.  They're at home, they beat us at neutral venue a few weeks back.  In saying that we have Cammy Smith available tomorrow and we missed him badly in that mickey mouse cup final.  Hope he starts up beside big John.  Will get my optimistic hat on and go for... 1-1.  Lets hope QOTS and Morton do the business tomorrow and then all eyes on the Raith showdown next week,

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Me too, I think that all of my all time favourites are Scandinavian. Siggi Jonsson is number one, then Pedersen, Kalvenes and of course Dillon(sson).

I loved wee Erik, possibly my favourite all time United player.  Sean and Dillon are both stupid names btw.

I want us to win tomorrow, more than that I'd love to see us playing some decent football.

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I loved wee Erik, possibly my favourite all time United player.  Sean and Dillon are both stupid names btw.

I want us to win tomorrow, more than that I'd love to see us playing some decent football.

It is going to be either Siggi or Erik anyway.

Archived