Dundee Utd vs St Mirren

4 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

In response to the above comment saying United have nothing to play for, surely this game is enormous for United due to the massive advantage finishing second has? Or have any thoughts of sneaking up via the play offs disappeared (both among the fans but more importantly the players/manager)?

I think we've resigned ourselves to finishing either 3rd or 4th (I actually also think McKinnon has too given his post match interview yesterday). Technically Saturday is a big game and I would love for a 7500 vocal crowd but the reality is it will be 6000 sitting in silence (apart from the St.Mirren fans). 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

In response to the above comment saying United have nothing to play for, surely this game is enormous for United due to the massive advantage finishing second has? Or have any thoughts of sneaking up via the play offs disappeared (both among the fans but more importantly the players/manager)?

Yesterday's game was enormous for us, a sit was a late kick off we went into the game knowing a win would take us up to second with only three games to play.  As has been said before the difference between finishing second and third/fourth is quite significant.

Despite all that the players couldn't lift themselves and the manager's selection, tactics and substitutions were shite.

McKinnon played Robson who's been terrible lately and we have an option to play Dixon (not having a go at the lad, he's just a youngster and needs time to develop), he played Toshney in midfield when Telfer's involvement was more required than ever with Flood suspended (and for those who say Telfer did little when he came on I reckon he's just understandably pissed off with being frozen out for no reason), and he couldn't see that our attacking options just weren't working or if he did he didn't have the guile to change it.  He didn't make a substitution until the 73rd minute.

So to answer your question we have lots to play for but seem unable to turn that need into desire unlike a team that for a large part of the season was rooted to the bottom but have found it within themselves to do something about their predicament.

49 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Hmm that is interesting - although not overly surprising given how poor Saturday nights game was. 

I hope you get your season back on track on Saturday... a good 5 or 6 nil would be just great!

In all seriousness, how do you think a St. Mirren win on Saturday would affect Rovers?

I'm much happier in a situation where we're getting first chance at putting points on the board, much like I am happy that we (and you) get to do so the following week and Dumbarton have to sit and wait to play late at Tannadice.

Eh I think its really context specific. If Saints, Dumbarton and Ayr all lose it gives us a massive boost going into our next two games. The opposite scenario puts more pressure on - however, it does have the advantage of the team 'knowing what they have two do'. 

9 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

We have lost one game at home all year to the league winners (with one man down after half an hour). Am I being whooshed?

So your logic is because we've only lost one game at home that will impact up the result between ourselves, who in the last few games have looked completely gormless, and St Mirren, who in the last few games have looked very good.

I think it's you who's doing the whooshing.

So your logic is because we've only lost one game at home that will impact up the result between ourselves, who in the last few games have looked completely gormless, and St Mirren, who in the last few games have looked very good.
I think it's you who's doing the whooshing.

By your logic the whole league deserve to be relegated apart from Hibs?

On 16/04/2017 at 05:41, BIG BEN said:

He's only 18 and is a centre mid but he plays out the to accommodate Mallan and McGinn. He took a few games to find his feet there but it says a lot Goethe boy that he looks comfortable there now. Definitely one to look out for in the future

Is that a faustian slip

2 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

What a great bunch of guys st.mirren are. First 1986 then 2013 league cup final and last Saturday. Hope they win every game for the rest of the season and stay up along with Dumbarton 

Just hurry up and sell McGinn for millions so we can get our 33% cut.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 08:25, stumigoo said:

St.Mirren seem to be a high impact team at the moment. In the Challenge Cup final and from what I heard about yesterday they are great at battering you for half an hour but seem to dip after that (feel free to disagree I'm just basing this on what I have seen recently). 

The good news for St.Mirren is that we crumble at the sign of any real pressure. Mentally, physically and tactically this is as poor a United team I have ever seen so it still amazes me that sides come to Tannadice and sit in deep (I'm looking at you Falkirk). 

Have a go and you will win.

Sums it up very well. If St Mirren try and win this game, they will win it. If they think a point is a good result in the same way Falkirk did, we might shitfest our way to a win.

50 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

By your logic the whole league deserve to be relegated apart from Hibs?

No that's not a logical follow on from what I said.  But using your 'logic' we should be able to beat Barcelona in a competitive game; I'd have my doubts about that one.

We will finish third, then just get past Morton. Then get beat by Falkirk

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Sums it up very well. If St Mirren try and win this game, they will win it. If they think a point is a good result in the same way Falkirk did, we might shitfest our way to a win.

We really have no choice but to come and try and win, we need the three points badly, and we will almost certainly concede a goal at some point, so we have to score a few ourselves, we aren't really capable of shitfesting it.

Should be a cracking game - with both teams having something to play for.

I'll go with the general sentiment that we're unlikely to keep a clean sheet so will have to score two or more to win.

I'd bring back Stelios and Morgan if they're recovered in place of either Irvine/Eckersley and Smith. 

Archived