The Dundee Manager Monorail

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were I a bettist, 16/1 on Barry Smith is striking me as being mildly tempting given he kept Dundee up in the old 1st division with a hefty points deduction and might be seen as a good short-term stopgap?

That list of candidates is wholly uninspiring. Got to think Hartley got a bit lucky to have Hemmings and Stewart to mask that he's not really very good managing at this level.

Ive posted this before in a dee thread but im surprised Stephen Kenny never gets mentioned with some of the choicer SPFL jobs considering Dundalk's Euro exploits. Got Dunfermline relegated right enough but that was when there was one relegation place and St Mirren were constantly spawning their way to safety every year. Would take Stephen Kenny if he were interested over most of the names being touted, anyway.

All things considered, I think this is the correct decision, as I'd see it as enhancing their immediate chances of finding the couple of wins Dundee now so urgently need.

I know the season started badly and that in some ways February was the anomalous part of it, but it still represents a spectacularly quick fall from grace.

It can't be often that a manager gets sacked purely for results, just two months after winning 'Manager of the Month'. 

2 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Serious question, and sorry Partick fans as I keep touting your manager for jobs, if Archibald was offered the Dundee job would he move? And would the Dees want him?

He turned down much more money and stability than Dundee can offer from a league one English club. There's no chance he'll go to a basket case club when things are coming up Millhouse for Thistle. 

19 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Were I a bettist, 16/1 on Barry Smith is striking me as being mildly tempting given he kept Dundee up in the old 1st division with a hefty points deduction and might be seen as a good short-term stopgap?

That list of candidates is wholly uninspiring. Got to think Hartley got a bit lucky to have Hemmings and Stewart to mask that he's not really very good managing at this level.

Ive posted this before in a dee thread but im surprised Stephen Kenny never gets mentioned with some of the choicer SPFL jobs considering Dundalk's Euro exploits. Got Dunfermline relegated right enough but that was when there was one relegation place and St Mirren were constantly spawning their way to safety every year. Would take Stephen Kenny if he were interested over most of the names being touted, anyway.

He also had us losing 0-3 at home to Stirling Albion, 0-4 at home to Livingston and most amusingly of all, 0-5 at home to Hamilton. He had us in relegation form in the First Division. He did get us to our first ever Challenge Cup Final though (at Dens, which we lost 3-2 to St Johnstone). He also got us to the Scottish Cup Final, which was not at Dens, although we also lost that, 1-0 to Celtic.

Agreed Re Kenny. I'd be happy enough with him.

18 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Serious question, and sorry Partick fans as I keep touting your manager for jobs, if Archibald was offered the Dundee job would he move? And would the Dees want him?

Archie is the longest serving Premiership manager. He is very happy at Firhill at the moment. As a player, he left for United and it didn't work out. We were lucky to get him back. I think he will have learned from that. He's young, he'll take his time before he moves on and he will be successful. When he does go, it won't be to Dundee. No disrespect intended.

Archie is the longest serving Premiership manager. He is very happy at Firhill at the moment. As a player, he left for United and it didn't work out. We were lucky to get him back. I think he will have learned from that. He's young, he'll take his time before he moves on and he will be successful. When he does go, it won't be to Dundee. No disrespect intended.

I think Archibald is even more unlikely than Alex Neil. Zero chance, he'd need to be insane.

Archived