Future of the party leaders post council elections

ChrisMFCfan1886

It's perfectly possible to have interests in politics that extend beyond where the centre of political power lies. It's perfectly feasible, and is the case, that people can join a party and disagree with that party's stated position on independence because not everyone is wholly concerned with the issue and nothing else.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's perfectly possible to have interests in politics that extend beyond where the centre of political power lies. It's perfectly feasible, and is the case, that people can join a party and disagree with that party's stated position on independence because not everyone is wholly concerned with the issue and nothing else.

But that doesn't make sense.
You can't have interests in politics without considering where the political power resides.
After all if the power is in Edinburgh (Indy) or London (Unionist) then your politics have to be shaped by that.
If you want a Tory or Labour model in an independent Scotland then you vote for indy then vote Tory or Labour.
If you are adamant that unionism is for you then independence is not an issue.
That I can understand.

But you can agree with the Lib Dems or Labour's politics and disagree on their position on the independence issue. The position of either party can change despite the posturing of their current leaders and people that disagree with the SNP and Greens can attempt to shape another party for when the (hopefully) inevitable occurs. There's two posters on here (Chris and Ad Lib) who are or were Lib Dem Yes supporters and one spoke at length on issue while the other stood as a candidate despite voting Yes. It's only impossible to comprehend in your head where independence is the only issue that you give a toss about.

3 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But that doesn't make sense.
You can't have interests in politics without considering where the political power resides.
After all if the power is in Edinburgh (Indy) or London (Unionist) then your politics have to be shaped by that.
If you want a Tory or Labour model in an independent Scotland then you vote for indy then vote Tory or Labour.
If you are adamant that unionism is for you then independence is not an issue.
That I can understand.

I'm starting a pro-independence 'QE2' Party. We're advocating a return to absolute monarchy in an independent Scotland. You'll be joining up, then?

3 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

He looks like an uglier and less intelligent version of Ad Lib.

11 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

But you can agree with the Lib Dems or Labour's politics and disagree on their position on the independence issue. The position of either party can change despite the posturing of their current leaders and people that disagree with the SNP and Greens can attempt to shape another party for when the (hopefully) inevitable occurs. There's two posters on here (Chris and Ad Lib) who are or were Lib Dem Yes supporters and one spoke at length on issue while the other stood as a candidate despite voting Yes. It's only impossible to comprehend in your head where independence is the only issue that you give a toss about.

That's fair enough and I take your point re Chris & Ad Lib but c'mon it would be far easier and simpler to vote indy first then for whatever party.
On that point you brought up - if Ad Lib had won his election do you think he would be sitting with the SNP in Westminster or would he be with the unionists?

It's only impossible to comprehend in your head where independence is the only issue that you give a toss about.
What's that all about - are you being snidey?

2 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

^^ daily mail columnist obsessed with looks over policies found

If I was a Daily Mail columnist I wouldn't be critical.  After all your lot kept the Tories in power whilst they attacked the poor and vulnerable.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

If I was a Daily Mail columnist I wouldn't be critical.  After all your lot kept the Tories in power whilst they attacked the poor and vulnerable.

I didn't ever support the coalition to be quite frank, However we did pass several positive policies that we haven't quite received credit for yet..

6 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

I didn't ever support the coalition to be quite frank, However we did pass several positive policies that we haven't quite received credit for yet..

You may be uglier and less intelligent than Ad Lib but you spout the same pish.

7 hours ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

It's hard to tell with Rennie I must admit, although in my personal opinion I hope he does go because the party needs fresh ideas, and sadly Rennie isn't exactly the right man to provide that.

The alternative is Alex "If you're not a unionist I barely recognise this party" Cole Hamilton or Mike "Might as well be Teddy Taylor" Rumbles so Willie isn't going anywhere until and even if he does it's not going to lead to "fresh ideas".

Sadly.

2 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

The alternative is Alex "If you're not a unionist I barely recognise this party" Cole Hamilton or Mike "Might as well be Teddy Taylor" Rumbles so Willie isn't going anywhere until and even if he does it's not going to lead to "fresh ideas".

Sadly.

What about Liam McArthur? Couldn't be any worse than ACH surely? Also I presume that ACH quote is from the Autumn conference last year (I wasn't able to make it to that one but heard about the final debate)

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I'm starting a pro-independence 'QE2' Party. We're advocating a return to absolute monarchy in an independent Scotland. You'll be joining up, then?

Surely it should be QE if you're all about an absolute monarchy in a Kingdom of Scotland...

2 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

What about Liam McArthur? Couldn't be any worse than ACH surely?

He's not and never has been interested in the leadership. He's the most reasonable of the 5 of them, his views on Independence being fairly uncompromising notwithstanding. The easiest one I found to work with, the one most on top of his Holyrood briefs, and from what I've heard elsewhere just about the only one people from other parties don't think is a w**k.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

On the contrary, the Lib Dems did many stupid things, but enabling the Tories on welfare cuts wasn't one of them. They forced the mitigation measures in relation to the Bedroom Tax, blocked a proposal to exclude young people from housing benefit, blocked the 2 child child benefit and tax credit cap just to name a few.

As we have seen with the Tories since, it was the fact of a Coalition that prevented the very worst of the Tories' measures from coming into force. Bluntly, fewer people are in poverty now than would have been the case if the Tories had governed alone, even in a minority administration.

3 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

He's not and never has been interested in the leadership. He's the most reasonable of the 5 of them, his views on Independence being fairly uncompromising notwithstanding. The easiest one I found to work with, the one most on top of his Holyrood briefs, and from what I've heard elsewhere just about the only one people from other parties don't think is a w**k.

I met both McArthur and Rumbles at conference this year actually, and agree with you about both of them. Cole-Hamilton doesn't seem to talk much with ordinary members of the party and is unbelievably arrogant. Tavish Scott wasn't there so can't really say much about him.

And that absolute monarchy will be keeping trident despite the opposition of the elected officials in the cortes.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

So who would be the most known lib dem who supports independence ( Chris and Ad Lib aside)?

The parliamentary group have made their feelings clear on this so none of them back Indy. There are many party members and ex internal office holders who back it I believe

Archived