50 years since we won the World Cup

9 hours ago, dogmc said:

Aye only a few years after we shipped 9 to them n on back of this 'high point' we didn't qualify for euros or the next wc or the next euros.....still Baxter keepy uppy blah blah etc....

I dinnae remember that one :wub:

31 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Ah yes, I remember it well :lol:

Me, too! :thumsup2

10 hours ago, dogmc said:

Aye only a few years after we shipped 9 to them n on back of this 'high point' we didn't qualify for euros or the next wc or the next euros.....still Baxter keepy uppy blah blah etc....

:1eye

29 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I dinnae remember that one :wub:

Me, too! :o

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Me, too! :thumsup2

:1eye

Me, too! :o

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was at Pittodrie, watching the Dons struggle to beat Stirling Albion 1-0.

I always listened in on our huge radiogram.
I would have my hand on the volume control and when they were attacking our goal I'd turn down the volume.
When we were attacking them it was turned up full volume.
You can imagine the 9-3? game I didn't hear much of it :(

Just now, Wee Willie said:

You can imagine the 9-3? game I didn't hear much of it :(

I remember hearing the score on Grandstand, but it really didn't sink in, it was 1963 before I first started taking a real interest in football, I can remember reading about Accrington Stanley resigning from the Football League on the back page of the P&J, for instance.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I remember hearing the score on Grandstand, but it really didn't sink in, it was 1963 before I first started taking a real interest in football, I can remember reading about Accrington Stanley resigning from the Football League on the back page of the P&J, for instance.

who?

This is yet another example of why Scottish football and the entire mentality surrounding it is completely fucked.

We are supposed to celebrate a win that essentially meant nothing, (as Scotland didn't even qualify for the 1968 Euro Championships) as if Scotland had just won the World Cup. It's the same with the Archie Gemmill goal v. Holland in 1978, it meant nothing as Scotland were already as good as eliminated thanks to two awful showings in the previous matches. 

See if Scotland actually want to progress in football, and in other areas of sport and life, then the country needs to rid themselves of this Glorious Failure culture and realise that there is no glory in failure whatsoever. Some Scottish football fans up here are never done greetin about the English and their fondness of reminiscing about 1966 when they actually WON the World Cup, an actual tangible achievement, yet at the same time put games like the above, Gemmill's goal, McFadden's goal v France (which was a blunder by the keeper more than anything else) on a pedestal.

Well, maybe that's why England did actually win a major tournament once upon a time whilst Scotland have never been beyond the group stages at best and can't even buy qualification for one anymore - because the English don't readily accept failure and try to glorify it at every turn. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, MJC said:

This is yet another example of why Scottish football and the entire mentality surrounding it is completely fucked.

We are supposed to celebrate a win that essentially meant nothing, (as Scotland didn't even qualify for the 1968 Euro Championships) as if Scotland had just won the World Cup. It's the same with the Archie Gemmill goal v. Holland in 1978, it meant nothing as Scotland were already as good as eliminated thanks to two awful showings in the previous matches. 

See if Scotland actually want to progress in football, and in other areas of sport and life, then the country needs to rid themselves of this Glorious Failure culture and realise that there is no glory in failure whatsoever. Some Scottish football fans up here are never done greetin about the English and their fondness of reminiscing about 1966 when they actually WON the World Cup, an actual tangible achievement, yet at the same time put games like the above, Gemmill's goal, McFadden's goal v France (which was a blunder by the keeper more than anything else) on a pedestal.

Well, maybe that's why England did actually win a major tournament once upon a time whilst Scotland have never been beyond the group stages at best and can't even buy qualification for one anymore - because the English don't readily accept failure and try to glorify it at every turn. :rolleyes:

Lighten up.
We're celebrating beating the world champions in 1967.
I'm sure other things happened with Scottish football that year that we could be celebrating as well.

What a boring post. I really regret reading it

17 minutes ago, MJC said:

You sound like a right hoot!

The cult of Baxter's Wembley is a frustrating one.  A Scotland team that clearly had a great deal of talent achieved, in real terms, nothing much in terms of major tournaments, and when you look back at the team, you could quite reasonably expect a great deal more from them.  I get that people who were there at the time remember it fondly,  and that beating your national rivals is always great.  Every now and then I watch highlights of it on YouTube, and I wish I could have been there.  Still, the way this game gets mythologised is the sort of thing you would expect of a genuine diddy team - a San Marino or a Lichtenstein or something.  Was this really, all these years on, the pinnacle of Scottish football?  

30 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Lighten up.
We're celebrating beating the world champions in 1967.
I'm sure other things happened with Scottish football that year that we could be celebrating as well.

And that is the pinnacle of the Scotland national sides success? Beating England who were World Champions at the time yet ultimately failing to qualify for the tournament itself? And it is still being celebrated fifty years later. That's pathetic and yet so typical of the small minded, loser mentality that has held large chunks of Scottish football and Scottish society back for generations.

Archived