Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

The Quickly Kevin podcast is back, and it's still consistently brilliant.  Lee Dixon on earlier this week talking about the 89 documentary, and the previous week was James Richardson.  Usually can't stand the smug b*****d, but he dialled it back quite a bit given he was in the guest chair rather than presenting.  They've managed to get guests on that consistently have really interesting stories to tell, whether that's Miles Jacobsen talking about CM/FM, a Premier League ref (can't quite remember who it was) or Jim Rosenthal.  Quite a mix rather than just getting on old footballers.  

And next week they're revisiting Steve Bruce's Striker series.  Ooft.

On 29/03/2018 at 15:04, forameus said:

The Quickly Kevin podcast is back, and it's still consistently brilliant.  Lee Dixon on earlier this week talking about the 89 documentary, and the previous week was James Richardson.  Usually can't stand the smug b*****d, but he dialled it back quite a bit given he was in the guest chair rather than presenting.  They've managed to get guests on that consistently have really interesting stories to tell, whether that's Miles Jacobsen talking about CM/FM, a Premier League ref (can't quite remember who it was) or Jim Rosenthal.  Quite a mix rather than just getting on old footballers.  

This is very good, I'm not overly keen on Josh Widdicombe as a stand up, but he is good on this. I guess I'm the right age for this podcast.

Such a laugh listening to this weeks episode going through that book. So bad, it’s funny. Unnecessary detail in the book about his jag, first aid training etc.

I've only just started listening to it again after 4 or 5 years because of how annoying Dotun Adebayo is. His schtick hasn't remotely changed since I last listened.

I gave up on it because of him, easily the most annoying c**t on the entire planet.

One I’ve started listening to is the Total Soccer Show. Two American guys talking about world football - a bit of MLS and some US-national team centric stuff, but also lots and lots of European football. They’re reasonably funny, but their tactical analysis of games and why things happen is miles ahead of any UK based podcast I’ve ever came across.

• 4 weeks later...

Football Weekly somewhat predictably seems to  be turning into a Little England podcast with Rushden at the helm - their coverage of the World Cup is going to be highly irritating until they get papped out in the 2nd Round. The virus has spread to their discussion of European football, with the bizarre claim that 'the best four side in Europe are all in the Premier League' being nodded through by their gormless panel without dissent on Thursday's show. Erm yes, that'll be Manchester United - 16 points off the pace in their domestic league and papped out of the CL by the seventh best team in Spain - being regarded as better than a Bayern side that romped the Bundesliga by 24 points and got knocked out of the CL in slightly fortuitous circumstances by the holders of the trophy.  And Tottenham as well because their defeat by Juventus shouldn't really count just 'cos.  And CL finalists Real Madrid don't even get a look in!

I gave up on it because of him, easily the most annoying c**t on the entire planet.

The Brazilian shirt name thing became insufferable.

As did the repeat callers asking the same thing every week. The Arsenal-supporting grandmother must have some ego on her - or perhaps they only have eight listeners.

On 22/01/2018 at 04:46, JTS98 said:

Like many, I imagine, I am a long-time Football Weekly listener and I was quite concerned when there was the split last summer. I have to say, how it has developed has surprised me.

The Totally Football Show (crap name) made a good start and different guests such as David Preece, who is very good to listen to, made it seem fresh and a good bet. Since then, however, I've started to lose patience with it a bit. There's clearly a bit of beef between Richardson and Honigstein and I can't work out which one of them seems more of an arsehole. They seem to be constantly sniping at each other. Also, Richardson has a very annoying habit of interrupting speakers when they are developing a point, which often leads to interesting sounding ideas not being completed. It does have some good guests and can be good, but the big surprise for me in recent weeks is that I've noticed I've been enjoying Football Weekly more than TFS.

I wasn't keen on the idea of Rushden taking over, but to be fair he has grown into it very well. He is clearly a football fan (not really sure Richardson is) and has a relatively strong level of contribution on matters around Cambridge's level. Richardson basically knows nothing about anything that isn't the top level of the Premier League or Serie A. Glendenning can be annoying, but I find that I agree with a lot of his grumpy views on football. Jonathon Wilson is probably an acquired taste, but he brings a lot to it with his knowledge of out of the way leagues and cricket etc. Overall, I think FW is winning this season, which is not what I expected back in the summer.

A quick word for one thing Totally Football are getting right, which is the excellent Tottally Football League Show with Iain MacIntosh. Some great guests, a genuinely passionate and informed pair of regular presenters and a wealth of interesting information about Football League clubs. It's very good.

I tried Quickly Kevin Will He Score? and found that ,while the guests were quite interesting, the presenters were just too annoying for me. I couldn't get past the high pitched laughing that seemed to accompany every sentence.

Graham Hunter's interviews seem to be really good. I particularly enjoyed the Walter Smith and Paul Clement episodes. However, as others have mentioned, Hunter himself is utterly insufferable and I've had to give that up.

The BBC World Football Phone-In used to be one of the highlights of my week. In the last few months I've noticed that I no longer listen to it every week. If it's Tim Vickery and the excellent Mark Gleeson, then I won't miss it. If it's Mina Rzouki I definitely won't listen to it. I find her impossible to stand. The callers are also very repetitive and often lead the panelists down very familiar paths. I'm not sure how many times I've heard Vickery's story about David Luiz building bridges between the Brazilian public and the national team during the social unrest there. Not his fault, just lots of repeat questions. That said, it still has the occasional great moment where a decent question leads to a genuinely interesting comment from one of the panelists. Dotun's heart is in the right place, but he's clearly being told to balance the footballing aspect of the show with the fact that it is not really a stand-alone show, but is part of Up All Night so has to try and appeal to other people who happen to be listening. It's ok, but perhaps not as fresh as it once was.

I've found that this season I've completely given up on Sportsound and Off the Ball. Kris Boyd was the end of the Sportsound journey for me. It's just descended into a Radio Clyde-style tabloid show which is well below the standards you expect from the BBC. Occasionally excellent, but usually crap. Off the Ball was once magnificent, but again I found that I was regularly seeing the names of the guests and just thinking 'no thanks'. Drifted from it over a few months and now no longer consider listening to it. I've lived abroad for 11 years now and Sportsound and Off the Ball were always anchors to the fitba world, but no longer seem to be.

Good round up mate , will try some of them

Stopped listening to alive and kicking all the time due to the presenters radio dj type voice at times and habit of getting small things wrong but the latest one with john Devlin who is a football shirt author is really good if you’re into old shirts, reviewing all the 90’s World Cup ones.

catching up on things now, listened to world football show for first time in a while and found it generally repetitive and no less annoying, shame as the correspondents are all usually good. 

Listened to ‘we came to win’ which was added to totally Football show feed, was decent enough to warrant a subscription, not unlike the ESPN podcasts and all looking back at iconic World Cup moments, worth listening to just to hear Americans describe bovril. Similarly I tried the Football ramble again for the history specials, on Argentina v Cameron from Italia 90 and whilst they are fairly knowledgeable they still grate laughing ridiculously at their own jokes, Pete Donaldson’s squeaky voice is most annoying.

Guest JTS98

I've only recently started listening to The Terrace podcast.

Generally enjoyable, well-informed and listenable.

One thing that puts me off, without wanting to seem like an old granda (I'm not) is the over-use of swearing. I swear. My friends swear. I think swearing can be really funny. But I just find over-use of swearing when listening to a podcast to be quite off-putting. The Motherwell fan especially seems to swear quite a lot. I know people will probably generally disagree with me and think I'm being stupid, but I find that very off-putting.

Swearing in a football podcast should be used sparingly and only when it's very funny or as part of a quote etc. Not calling some team or player 'fucking shite'.

• 3 weeks later...

Listened to ‘we came to win’ which was added to totally Football show feed, was decent enough to warrant a subscription,

These have been good, really enjoyed them. Totally football seems like it is going to be more in depth than the football weekly shows going by the previews. When james richardson was at guardian during 2014 world cup, they really did do they daily podcasts well.

On 5/5/2018 at 05:33, virginton said:

Football Weekly somewhat predictably seems to  be turning into a Little England podcast with Rushden at the helm - their coverage of the World Cup is going to be highly irritating until they get papped out in the 2nd Round. The virus has spread to their discussion of European football, with the bizarre claim that 'the best four side in Europe are all in the Premier League' being nodded through by their gormless panel without dissent on Thursday's show. Erm yes, that'll be Manchester United - 16 points off the pace in their domestic league and papped out of the CL by the seventh best team in Spain - being regarded as better than a Bayern side that romped the Bundesliga by 24 points and got knocked out of the CL in slightly fortuitous circumstances by the holders of the trophy.  And Tottenham as well because their defeat by Juventus shouldn't really count just 'cos.  And CL finalists Real Madrid don't even get a look in!

Its an English podcast, aimed towards English audience.

Enjoying the daily shows from Football Weekly and Totally Football Show. However, The Times one is annoying with their England nonsense. I am not naive enough to believe that a podcast from an English newspaper should treat England as the same as the other nations, however Friday's episode started with the latest from the England camp - not the opening game. They then talked about England's game against Tunisia, which was four days away. Today's didn't start with last night's games or looking ahead to today's matches but instead with the stunning revelation that Dele Alli has a sore leg - they even had a physio on the phone about it.

Decided to unsubscribe and won't be going back to it when the season starts. Was already thinking of binning it due to Alyson Rudd's constant ramblings, Gab Marcotti speaking over everyone with a condescending tone and Henry Winter being totally up himself.