Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

Glad this thread appeared i seemed to have removed all of mine.  I listen to the Terrace, the Radio Scotland 'Scottish Football' one & Soccer FM (http://www.pieandbovril.com/soccerfm) can be ok.  

There is a Dunfermline one @TN10Y which is mostly going to be of interest to their fans but i check it out either side of playing us cause im sad as f**k.  It is decent enough though.  

The Football Ramble and Football Weekly are essential listening for me, haven't really been able to get in to others.

If there was a scale of fitba podcast from "mates talking about football" to "serious analysis" I think both fall into the sweet spot in the middle, albeit with the Ramble more to the "mates talking about football" side and FW more to the "serious analysis" side.

I find 'The Game' podcast from the Times far too dry and others too focused on "bantz".

Will have to listen to Sid Lowe's other one, but I don't keep up with Spanish football as much as I should.

World Football from the BBC is pretty good.  I enjoy the fact they cover events and stories from around the world that you probably wouldn't normally hear about.  The only downside is it is normally presented by Alan Green.

For Scottish football ones I listen to The Terrace, Burst Baw and Soccer FM.  I unsubscribed from the BBC Sportsound one years ago now.

Other one worth mentioning is the World Football Phone-in from the BBC.  I tend to dip in and out of that one for a number of reasons.  I find Dotun Adebayo far too annoying to even listen to just once a week and I was finding the same questions would be repeated again and again week after week.  One thing I had noticed that seems to have improved from the odd times I've listened to it recently is there doesn't seem to be as many regular callers now and much of the Brazilian shirt name crap has been reduced as well.

Guest bernardblack
Listened to The Terrace Podcast for the first time, thanks to this thread. Good stuff. Guys know what they're talking about, and they seem to give teams equal time to talk about.

Exact same for me. Mondays episode flew by and now subscribed!

On 18/04/2017 at 22:33, Steve McQueen said:

No problem, some of them can be quite mental.

Stanley Wilson was my favourite i think, drug relapse the day before the Superbowl.

I listened to the Randall Woodfield one. Jesus I had no idea how mental that would get. I like that you don't know the story beforehand when it is US sportsmen. The two guys that present it are quite funny and guys you could relate to it's my favourite podcast just now.

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 11:59, NorthernLights said:

Other one worth mentioning is the World Football Phone-in from the BBC.  I tend to dip in and out of that one for a number of reasons.  I find Dotun Adebayo far too annoying to even listen to just once a week and I was finding the same questions would be repeated again and again week after week.  One thing I had noticed that seems to have improved from the odd times I've listened to it recently is there doesn't seem to be as many regular callers now and much of the Brazilian shirt name crap has been reduced as well.

This. 

I gave up listening a good couple years back, found him far too much to handle. Which is a shame, because the likes of Tim Vickery were really informative to listen to. 

Not listened to the Football Ramble in ages, but will probably give it a go again at some stage. Might be wrong but a couple of the guys who are on it, seem to have a spot on Talksport now, is that right? Either that or incredibly similar voices. 

Jimmy Bullards Magic Sponge podcast had me close to tears on several occasions, really liked that. Mainly as the people he had in were real journeymen footballers. Had Joe Jordan on once, who was a nightmare to interview, gave them nothing. 

KUMB (Knees Up Mother Brown) podcast is essential listening for any West Ham fan, a lot of ex players and a couple of managers. Some really good insightful chats on there. 

On 4/29/2017 at 21:22, locheedfcno1 said:

Quickly Kevin will he score? About 90's footballers. Really funny.

I subscribed to this yesterday and gave a couple of episodes a listen, and liking it so far.  The episode centered around Steve Bruce's attempts at writing a book especially.  

Without wanting to come across as a total thicko here, how do you subsribe to these podcasts? Is it through Youtube?

Looking at getting listening to some football related podcasts when i'm travelling, out walking etc?

Cheers in advance.

Without wanting to come across as a total thicko here, how do you subsribe to these podcasts? Is it through Youtube?
Looking at getting listening to some football related podcasts when i'm travelling, out walking etc?
Cheers in advance.

I use podcast addict and bbc iPlayer radio apps but there are loads of podcast apps in android store but find these 2 are the best. Just search for what ones you are looking for or you can browse category like sports.

Cheers in advance.

If you've got an apple device then their own podcast app is best.

For Android I use podcast addict.

Just search by name or look at what is trending.

I subscribed to this yesterday and gave a couple of episodes a listen, and liking it so far.  The episode centered around Steve Bruce's attempts at writing a book especially.  

Stick with it. Believe it or not but Jim rosenthal episode is funny as fuk. You listened to jimmy bullards magic sponge? [emoji23][emoji23]

• 2 weeks later...
There's only 2 out but Espn 30 for 30 podcasts could be good.

Yankees Suck one was a good story.

OK the first run has ended, here's a review.

Ep 1 Dan & Dave - an interesting rival story of 2 American athletes.

Ep 2 Yankees Suck - how some kids made money from unlawful merch.

Ep 3 On The Ice - interesting story of British women going to the north pole.

Ep 4 Queen of Sorts - is it cheating at cards or not?

Ep 5 The Fighter Inside -how a convict almost became World Champion

2, 4 & 5 are must listens imo.

8 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

OK the first run has ended, here's a review.

Ep 1 Dan & Dave - an interesting rival story of 2 American athletes.

Ep 2 Yankees Suck - how some kids made money from unlawful merch.

Ep 3 On The Ice - interesting story of British women going to the north pole.

Ep 4 Queen of Sorts - is it cheating at cards or not?

Ep 5 The Fighter Inside -how a convict almost became World Champion

2, 4 & 5 are must listens imo.

I really enjoyed Yankees Suck and On The Ice, but The Fighter Inside was brilliant. I'm not into boxing as a sport but the stories in boxing tend to be far more entertaining than any other sport, this one was astonishing.

ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries are the gold standard for sports documentaries, I've watched loads of them about sports I couldn't give a f**k about because they are character driven or focus on eccentricities of the sport.

The  new podcast is a welcome addition  to my podcast library that makes walking the dog less boring than it should be.