Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

Been listening to totally football show and the guardian daily ones in the morning, obviously a fair bit of overlap. Had a bit more time today so listened to world football daily one for vicarys reaction to Argentina which to be fair he predicted, dotun was peak annoying and managed to make Adrian chiles seem likeable by comparison. 

On 6/14/2018 at 07:25, thekorean said:

Its an English podcast, aimed towards English audience.

No it isn't - unless I've missed something and they've changed the name to 'English Football Weekly'. And the only person regularly jumping on the England bandwagon is the absolute jobber of a presenter; nothing else has really changed since their coverage of the 2014 WC. 

11 hours ago, virginton said:

No it isn't - unless I've missed something and they've changed the name to 'English Football Weekly'. And the only person regularly jumping on the England bandwagon is the absolute jobber of a presenter; nothing else has really changed since their coverage of the 2014 WC. 

And who are the target demographics for The Guardian?

The Guardian one is always better when Barry Glendinning is on it; the Argentinian woman is quite good too if only for her upper-class sounding voice and the way she describes everything bad with their side. The rest of the guests are a bit up and down, although at least their "England are going to win" stuff is tongue in cheek.

Totally Football show is the better of the two IMO, but then I do like James Richardson (and James Horncastle) and groan worthy puns. They also seem to have done quite a bit of research on the teams and know a bit about each squad.

I always catch the Totally Football Show, they seem to have interesting guests most of the time (Matt Scott being the only one I can’t stand) plus when you get most of the European Football Show quartet back together it really shines. The puns are great, their input is always interesting and insightful and they are easy to listen to. Golazzo and the Totally Football League show are good as well.

I listen to the Euro Leagues Football Podcast or whatever on the BBC, purely because you get Horncastle, Laurens and Honigstein. I do find it tough at times because I find Mina Rzouki to be completely insufferable, I’ve found myself noticeably annoyed at the fact she can’t seem to let the others speak without interjecting (with something usually about how much she loves Juve)

Hawksbee & Jacobs Daily World Cup (from their talkSPORT show) podcast is excellent. 

Very funny, and great observations about the World Cup & Russia. And so refreshing to hear two guys who obviously are enjoying their trip.

The Guardian one is always better when Barry Glendinning is on it; the Argentinian woman is quite good too if only for her upper-class sounding voice and the way she describes everything bad with their side. The rest of the guests are a bit up and down, although at least their "England are going to win" stuff is tongue in cheek.

Totally Football show is the better of the two IMO, but then I do like James Richardson (and James Horncastle) and groan worthy puns. They also seem to have done quite a bit of research on the teams and know a bit about each squad.

Im never sure if rushden is tongue in cheek with england are going to win it, or he truly believes it. James richardson does these world cup podcasts really well. So much more in depth. Barry glendinning is my favourite on the guardian football one.

Hawksbee & Jacobs Daily World Cup (from their talkSPORT show) podcast is excellent. 

Very funny, and great observations about the World Cup & Russia. And so refreshing to hear two guys who obviously are enjoying their trip.

Given all the scaremongering in the press, this show has been great because as you say, they are clearly enjoying their trip and making the most of it. Its not too england-centric as well. (Although it probably will be tomorrow) but generally they have covered the group stages quite fairly.

Big fan of Barry now after not liking him at first, his reading of craig David’s 7 days was immense. I like Jonathan Wilson too, ironically both sunderand supporters, although no idea why Barry supports them. Had world football phone in on before as no other new ones today, dotun is an oaf, lots of the reviews panning him. Been listening to game of our lives World Cup specials and they’re really good even if it’s a bit too left leaning at times for even me, saying Argentinians think they are superior as they are the whitest in South American and ‘all neutrals’ apparently wanted Nigeria to Knock them out. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Apparently totally football are producing a scottish football podcast this season. Going to give it a try, but not optimistic about it.

Why? Of course it's entirely dependant on who they have contributing to the show, but if you take the The Totally Football League Show for instance, it is still very insightful about the League One and League Two, I see no reason why it should be any different the Scottish football.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

Why? Of course it's entirely dependant on who they have contributing to the show, but if you take the The Totally Football League Show for instance, it is still very insightful about the League One and League Two, I see no reason why it should be any different the Scottish football.

Just don’t know how in depth it will be. On saying that it might be good. I just thought english based podcast covering scottish football might not be as knowledgeable as they are with the football league show. As i say, will give it a try and willing to be proved wrong. (Just don’t tell anyone on here i said that)[emoji3]

13 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Just don’t know how in depth it will be. On saying that it might be good. I just thought english based podcast covering scottish football might not be as knowledgeable as they are with the football league show. As i say, will give it a try and willing to be proved wrong. (Just don’t tell anyone on here i said that)emoji3.png

If they actually hire folk who regularly watch it then it should be fine. TFS only really touch on the headlines at present, but that doesn't really bother me as I get my Scottish fix from the Terrace. Football Weekly coverage is an embarrassment though. Glendenning with his 'fitba corner' or when they phone up that miserable golf pundit Ewan Murray. Hopeless.

Gave the first couple of episodes of the Totally Scottish Football show a listen...

They need to find some decent pundits quickly. The non OF ones were bearable but the Celtic and especially the Rangers fan sounded like barely coherent ned's. In fact they seemed to resemble the Only an Excuse old firm stereotypes. 'Barca Jim' for his sake.

Is it really that hard to find a Scottish pundit who can speak intelligently and thoughtfully about the game and doesn't sound like they've had a lungful of helium?

The Terrace is way better at the moment.