Football Podcasts

Guest bernardblack

Aye it's been shit this season. There's only been Slaven Bilic (a two parter) and Jamie Murray for free, the other four big interviews have been behind the paywall. I can put up with Graham Hunter's monologues when it's leading to a question about five minutes later, can't be arsed with half an hour of it in all the other things they do.

Would be good if there was the option to buy each Big Interview individually, or two subscription models - one just for the Big Interviews and one including everything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not listened to much other than world Football phone in and  alive and kicking lately and that pissed me off as they said Hagi was part of the great Bulgarian team that beat Mexico 4-0 in USA 94, wrong on so many levels. Did however download the golazzo podcast with James Richardson, horncastle and marcotti and it was pretty good even having the original gazetta titles on and plenty of nostalgia. 

Like many, I imagine, I am a long-time Football Weekly listener and I was quite concerned when there was the split last summer. I have to say, how it has developed has surprised me.

The Totally Football Show (crap name) made a good start and different guests such as David Preece, who is very good to listen to, made it seem fresh and a good bet. Since then, however, I've started to lose patience with it a bit. There's clearly a bit of beef between Richardson and Honigstein and I can't work out which one of them seems more of an arsehole. They seem to be constantly sniping at each other. Also, Richardson has a very annoying habit of interrupting speakers when they are developing a point, which often leads to interesting sounding ideas not being completed. It does have some good guests and can be good, but the big surprise for me in recent weeks is that I've noticed I've been enjoying Football Weekly more than TFS.

I wasn't keen on the idea of Rushden taking over, but to be fair he has grown into it very well. He is clearly a football fan (not really sure Richardson is) and has a relatively strong level of contribution on matters around Cambridge's level. Richardson basically knows nothing about anything that isn't the top level of the Premier League or Serie A. Glendenning can be annoying, but I find that I agree with a lot of his grumpy views on football. Jonathon Wilson is probably an acquired taste, but he brings a lot to it with his knowledge of out of the way leagues and cricket etc. Overall, I think FW is winning this season, which is not what I expected back in the summer.

A quick word for one thing Totally Football are getting right, which is the excellent Tottally Football League Show with Iain MacIntosh. Some great guests, a genuinely passionate and informed pair of regular presenters and a wealth of interesting information about Football League clubs. It's very good.

I tried Quickly Kevin Will He Score? and found that ,while the guests were quite interesting, the presenters were just too annoying for me. I couldn't get past the high pitched laughing that seemed to accompany every sentence.

Graham Hunter's interviews seem to be really good. I particularly enjoyed the Walter Smith and Paul Clement episodes. However, as others have mentioned, Hunter himself is utterly insufferable and I've had to give that up.

The BBC World Football Phone-In used to be one of the highlights of my week. In the last few months I've noticed that I no longer listen to it every week. If it's Tim Vickery and the excellent Mark Gleeson, then I won't miss it. If it's Mina Rzouki I definitely won't listen to it. I find her impossible to stand. The callers are also very repetitive and often lead the panelists down very familiar paths. I'm not sure how many times I've heard Vickery's story about David Luiz building bridges between the Brazilian public and the national team during the social unrest there. Not his fault, just lots of repeat questions. That said, it still has the occasional great moment where a decent question leads to a genuinely interesting comment from one of the panelists. Dotun's heart is in the right place, but he's clearly being told to balance the footballing aspect of the show with the fact that it is not really a stand-alone show, but is part of Up All Night so has to try and appeal to other people who happen to be listening. It's ok, but perhaps not as fresh as it once was.

I've found that this season I've completely given up on Sportsound and Off the Ball. Kris Boyd was the end of the Sportsound journey for me. It's just descended into a Radio Clyde-style tabloid show which is well below the standards you expect from the BBC. Occasionally excellent, but usually crap. Off the Ball was once magnificent, but again I found that I was regularly seeing the names of the guests and just thinking 'no thanks'. Drifted from it over a few months and now no longer consider listening to it. I've lived abroad for 11 years now and Sportsound and Off the Ball were always anchors to the fitba world, but no longer seem to be.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Anyone been listening to the Golazzo podcast? Last few episodes have been a good listen and they've pinched the intro music from the old Football Italia show for a good dose of nostalgia

Yeah just listened to latest one today been really good so far.

22 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Anyone been listening to the Golazzo podcast? Last few episodes have been a good listen and they've pinched the intro music from the old Football Italia show for a good dose of nostalgia

Never heard of this, will give it a bash later on today. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never really got into the ramble due to all the laughing at each other’s jokes constantly. Also as a Newcastle supporter it annoys me that Pete Donaldson is too despite being from Hartlepool. Might give that wrestling one he does a go mind. Golazzo definite highlight right now, word Football one wearing me down with the shit Brazilian shirt name thing taking up ages and repetitive questions as stated previously. I should really start downloading the European Football show as that one was quite decent although long and the time I comes out mean all the games are played by the time I listen to it.

Edited by Latino Lover

Had stopped listening to Graeme Hunter as his interview style is puke-inducing. He had Andy Robertson on recently. Robertson seems a bit brighter than your stereotypical Scottish footballer. Clearly a hard working kid. Sounds like he'd have apprentices down the pit after training rather than driving flash cars etc. 

11 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I listen to The Football Ramble and On The Continent but I'm increasingly finding Luke Moore on both insufferable to listen to, his idea of banter is terrible and his knowledge is frequently shown up as wrong.  This is annoying because they are both decent podcasts. 

Have found he has become insufferable since going on Talksport. Then again working with Jim White would do that to most. 

Enjoying the Golazzo podcast, Richardson does a really good job of presenting it. Some really interesting chats as well, not on current Italian football, but things that have happened in the past. 

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Had stopped listening to Graeme Hunter as his interview style is puke-inducing. He had Andy Robertson on recently. Robertson seems a bit brighter than your stereotypical Scottish footballer. Clearly a hard working kid. Sounds like he'd have apprentices down the pit after training rather than driving flash cars etc. 

I was surprised at how well Robertson came across, for some reason I thought he'd sound like a neddy Scott Brown type but he seemed relatively intelligent. The Queen's Park stint will have helped keep him grounded.

Someone should keep a running tally of how often Gab Marcotti says "blah blah blah" on his various podcasts.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I was surprised at how well Robertson came across, for some reason I thought he'd sound like a neddy Scott Brown type but he seemed relatively intelligent. The Queen's Park stint will have helped keep him grounded.

Someone should keep a running tally of how often Gab Marcotti says "blah blah blah" on his various podcasts.

Stumbled across a Liverpool FC alternative commentary video he did (Liverpool players offering a biased/funny perspective on a recent game) and he seemed a natural in front of the camera.

Like many, I imagine, I am a long-time Football Weekly listener and I was quite concerned when there was the split last summer. I have to say, how it has developed has surprised me.
The Totally Football Show (crap name) made a good start and different guests such as David Preece, who is very good to listen to, made it seem fresh and a good bet. Since then, however, I've started to lose patience with it a bit. There's clearly a bit of beef between Richardson and Honigstein and I can't work out which one of them seems more of an arsehole. They seem to be constantly sniping at each other. Also, Richardson has a very annoying habit of interrupting speakers when they are developing a point, which often leads to interesting sounding ideas not being completed. It does have some good guests and can be good, but the big surprise for me in recent weeks is that I've noticed I've been enjoying Football Weekly more than TFS.
I wasn't keen on the idea of Rushden taking over, but to be fair he has grown into it very well. He is clearly a football fan (not really sure Richardson is) and has a relatively strong level of contribution on matters around Cambridge's level. Richardson basically knows nothing about anything that isn't the top level of the Premier League or Serie A. Glendenning can be annoying, but I find that I agree with a lot of his grumpy views on football. Jonathon Wilson is probably an acquired taste, but he brings a lot to it with his knowledge of out of the way leagues and cricket etc. Overall, I think FW is winning this season, which is not what I expected back in the summer.
A quick word for one thing Totally Football are getting right, which is the excellent Tottally Football League Show with Iain MacIntosh. Some great guests, a genuinely passionate and informed pair of regular presenters and a wealth of interesting information about Football League clubs. It's very good.

I am the same and for the same reasons near enough. I like rafa and am now only listening to the ones with him on it. Horncastle is good and the two of them seem to be quite clued up. But what gets me about the show is given they are talking about primarily the premier league, james richardson hasn’t seen half the games or highlights of any of them. I know hes a busy man, but rushden seems to put in the minimum amount of effort by at least watching the football he is going to be discussing.

The totally football show is good, in depth and interesting. The factfiles on the clubs are alright if you like that sort of thing. The one thing i will say about ian mcintosh is for someone who plays a lot of football manager and works in football journalism the guy gets a lot of predictions wrong. Doesn’t make the guy unlikable, just find it funny.

On 23/02/2018 at 10:05, Shandon Par said:

I subscribed to the Hunter podcast not knowing too much about him, I read his book about about Barca years ago and remembered it being decent. What you said about him is spot on. I had to give up, it doesn't matter how interesting the interviewee is his hosting and interview style is awful and he comes across as an obsequious knob trying to be cool. The picture of him on the podcast image with the shades on should have been a give away.

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

4 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I subscribed to the Hunter podcast not knowing too much about him, I read his book about about Barca years ago and remembered it being decent. What you said about him is spot on. I had to give up, it doesn't matter how intetresting the interviewee is his hosting and interview style is awful and he comes across as an obsequious knob trying to be cool. The picture of him on the podcast image with the shades on should have been a give away.

He's incredible. If someone showed me his picture and let me listen to five minutes of him, I'd probably believe he was some kind of parody version of a football journalist who was supposed to be funny. I don't like getting personal on stuff like this, but he is just very hard to bear.

• 3 weeks later...
The Maradona episode of Golazzo was a really good listen.

That was a cracker. I’m really looking forward to this Maradonna film that’s coming out later in the year.

I’ll have to hold my hands up and admit that Max Rushden has pleasantly surprised me on Football Weekly. He sometimes does move a little bit too close to “banter” territory but he just about manages to veer away from it in the nick of time.

I have though finally given up on the World Football Phone In. I just couldn’t take another minute of Dotun. If you also throw in the previously mentioned Brazilian shirt name nonsense I just found that it became unbearable. Also, I like Tim Vickery but found that he was often repeating the same stuff week after week and his laughter at Dotun’s terrible, terrible attempts at humour was beginning to grate. Mark Gleeson is a top lad though.

I did however stumble upon a podcast called Nessun Dorma which seems very decent. Their recent episode about Ireland under Jack Charlton was excellent and they spent a good bit of time slagging off Pat Bonner which is always a winner in my book.

Reaching saturation point now, there’s a new one with the writer David goldblat who had Werner herzog on as his first guest, which was interesting and different from the norm. Also tried out top flight time machine with the mackem bloke from athletico mince which seems ok thus far, like the Nessum dorma one its nostalgia based but the qpr guy from alive and kicking has an annoying ‘dave clifton’ style voice and the boro fan has a disproportionate dislike of Newcastle.