It Was Fifty Years Ago Today ...

Eednud

Not quite today but it will soon be 50 years (how can you do a strike through a word in a topic title?) since the album Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released. There will be a mass of hype in the media in a few weeks about how it was the best album, how it changed music and all that sort of guff. Now it was a no bad album and wish I still had my vinyl copy with the freebie cut-out stuff but it certainly wasn't the best album of 1967. It was a great year and apart from Scotland winning 3-2 at Wembley and losing my cherry there were so many good/great albums released. Forever Changes, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Between The Buttons, Disraeli Gears, Axis: Bold As Love, Surrealistic Pillow, Younger Than Yesterday, The Velvet Underground, John Wesley Harding and many more. So whether your a moaning faced auld duffer or not what's your favourite album from 1967? 

With Sgt Pepper, I reckon it's as much about the cultural significance and general impact of the album as it is the content - it is a wonderful album, mind.

They're talking about reissuing Pepper with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane added, but where do you put them in the running order? George Martin always said he put A Day in the Life at the end because, well - how do you follow that?

On 15/04/2017 at 00:26, paranoid android said:

With Sgt Pepper, I reckon it's as much about the cultural significance and general impact of the album as it is the content - it is a wonderful album, mind.

They're talking about reissuing Pepper with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane added, but where do you put them in the running order? George Martin always said he put A Day in the Life at the end because, well - how do you follow that?

I agree. Incredible that it was recorded 4-track equipment - which, by today's standards, would now be classed as antique or obselete. George Martin's production was immaculate.

For me it was the best album of 1967 by a country mile. I would even have nominated it as the best album of the decade, had it not been for Fairport Convention's "Unhalfbricking" and "Liege and Lief" released in 1969!

Was a Beatles gateway album to me as a teen so always got a special love for it. As far as the 1967 debate goes, Forever Changes is probably my favourite, lot of albums worth shouting about though, some of which have already been mentioned (Younger Than Yesterday, Songs of Leonard Cohen)....I've got a particular soft spot for Chelsea Girl though.

Was going to say Odyssey and Oracle by The Zombies but, although it was recorded in 1967, it wasn't released until early the following year.

Special mention for Traffic's 'Dear Mr Fantasy'.

Also just realised the 'Safe as Mil' by Beefheart was released in 1967 - I thought it had been released in 1966 or even '65.

• 1 month later...

It kinda freaks me out a little bit that the release of albums like Nevermind, Ten, Badmotorfinger, The Black Album, Blood Sugar Sex Magik etc, are all closer to the release of Sgt Pepper than they are to today.

It was 50 years ago today Sgt. Pepper was released in the UK (a week later in the US) in monaural sound configuration.

Amidst the celebrations or otherwise (celebrity detractors include Keith Richards - surprised he remembers 1967) from music fans it's being rereleased in 4 different formats altho' in my personal opinion the trick missed was not reissuing a version with Strawberry Fields & Penny Lane squeezed into the running order - they were omitted as the double-A sided single only reached No. 2 in the charts amidst fears that The Beatles had peaked and were on the slide, George Martin always said he regarded leaving them off the album to be a mistake but he was overuled by Brian Epstein.

Not my favourite Beatles album and probably the one which is most "Paul", in hindsight it might sound a bit cheesy in places but there's no doubt that after Sgt. Pepper there were no rules (source - Dave Crosby?).

All You Need Is Love  :wub:

On 18/04/2017 at 10:38, ICTJohnboy said:

I agree. Incredible that it was recorded 4-track equipment - which, by today's standards, would now be classed as antique or obselete. George Martin's production was immaculate.

In fact the equipment the Beatles used was almost antique in its own day.  American recording studios were far in advance of Abbey Road.

studer-c37.jpeg

Sgt Peppers was recorded on one of these.  A Studer 4 track.  As they say, less is more.

A musician guy I know - major punk fan - says he could do the same on his four-track recorder - could ye, aye? :lol:

Could he score a string arrangement like the one on She's Leaving Home?

Could he score the brass arrangements for Good Morning, Good Morning?

Could he navigate all those brilliant Indian musicians through a complex arrangement like Within You Without You, and get them to play in time with stiff British string players?

Could he recreate the fairground atmosphere of Mr Kite?

Could he manage all those amazing vocal harmonies?

Could he come up with basslines as inventive and melodic as those played by McCartney on tracks like Fixing a Hole?

And, most importantly, could he compose dazzling tunes likes those knocked out by Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison?

The answer to all those questions, and more, is, quite simply...

Could he f**k! :lol:

A landmark album, and rightly acclaimed as such - take a fucking bow, lads! :wub:

10 hours ago, Elementary Penguin said:

You do know the entire thing's an obituary, right? 

An absolutely spectacular one, yes.....but the peak was unquestionably Revolver. The sheer strength of writing on that album was earth-shattering compared to the clue-within-clue they spent four years hiding. 

:lol:

Archived